OC ReMix StarCraft Tournament! Round 2 Begins! See Page 18

Garian

Lord Obsidious: Don't worry about interrupting any discussions, we talk about a lot of things in there. Also, there are alternatives to mIRC such as x-chat, pidgin, and trillian that don't cost money to use.

JadeAuto: I'm not 100% certain but IIRC it could simply be the router's built in NAT (network address translating). Starcraft wasn't designed with broadband in mind, so there's a lot of times where it may not work without configuration of the router. The DMZ and no firewalls thing is really a dangerous option, and as you said it hasn't helped at all so you might want to get yourself protected again. My only real suggestion is to check for some NAT filtering option and try toggling that. We've had similar problems with some guys who have multiple clients running behind the same router and some guys who can't connect to multiple clients in a game but can 1v1 just fine... it always turns out to be bad NAT redirection :S

My only real suggestion is to check for some NAT filtering option and try toggling that. We've had similar problems with some guys who have multiple clients running behind the same router and some guys who can't connect to multiple clients in a game but can 1v1 just fine... it always turns out to be bad NAT redirection :S

No ability to turn it off, either on the router or on the modem. /sigh

Two to one I could get it working on Hamachi (fake networks ftw), but Bnet wants to spite me

I might suggest that anyone who joined OCR after this thread was made should not be allowed in. Don't want to check myself, but it's possible people might join just to win the prize money and/or recognition. I want people to recognize the winner as someone who has been in the community.

I am not joining if you thought that influenced this suggestion.

I might suggest that anyone who joined OCR after this thread was made should not be allowed in. Don't want to check myself, but it's possible people might join just to win the prize money and/or recognition. I want people to recognize the winner as someone who has been in the community.

I am not joining if you thought that influenced this suggestion.

:-\, I sorta feel you on that one. I mean, GOOD people might join the forum just to win the prize, but then again, just normal people who happened to join uber-recently will be excluded.

I just don't understand why there has to be a prize of some sort. Nobody can have fun just playing a game anymore?

Thanks Tensei, yeah, I've been meaning to edit the OP but just haven't gotten around to it yet, no prize this time around it looks like, no big deal. Just some good games between friends and bragging rights~

JadeAuto: if you can do 1v1 on hamachi that's fine, just make sure to save the replays :)

Wait are we supposed to commit to a particular race for this tournament? I tend to switch it up based on the map and what my opponent's playing and the position of Jupiter compared to Betelgeuse etc etc.

My b.net name is NativeJovian, though. If I have to stick to one race I'd go Zerg. (And complain bitterly all the while!)

Sounds like fun. If we're playing on battle.net I recommend people save the replays and send them to garian or whomever. Then we can do casts of the games off the replays. Live casting is more difficult and also can contribute to game lag, which we don't want.

heehee sensai.

Allowing random is really just a concession, but if someone WANTS random, then they should have to stick with it for their matches, it'll make it a lot harder for the player to come up with a build order and plan than someone who is playing their primary race. I used to play against koelsch1 a lot and he had a nasty habit of speedlot rushing, and playing random against him meant it was a 1 in 3 chance of being able to counter his typical build easily (i was always slow to get lurkers, and i never made enough zealots, so firebats were how i coped).

IMPORTANT:

Signups will close sunday night at 12AM, and I'll get a randomly generated tournament bracket and map order on Wednesday. After that, you'll have one week to submit your replays (PLEASE Date and timestamp them). Since it will be a best-of-3, I expect 4 or 6 replays for each match-up, more if there are observers. For commentaries we'll just have to wait until after the replays are in, to prevent game-lag like Battousai said. Preferably the games will be played on Battle.net, but if for some reason you can't use Bnet then you can use Hamachi-- provided your opponent agrees. Maybe in the future we can set up a PVPGN server, or use one that someone else is hosting :S

I was talking with Tensei on IRC a few minutes ago concerning maps, I settled on picking 6 different maps for now, and barring any major disagreements from anyone who will be playing, I'll flip coins on wednesday to see which 3 will be used for round 1. SO! Tentative maps!

Destination download
Sin Chupung-Ryeong download
Tau Cross
Neo Medusa download
Othello
Python

Hopefully you guys can get some practice time in on all of the maps, like I said I have no idea which 3 we'll be using. If you have an issue with any of the maps, please let me know as soon as possible so we can discuss the issue, and if necessary find a suitable alternative.

edit: noticed some maps didn't have download links at team liquid, tensei hooked me up with his archive of iccup versions of the maps. happy crafting :S

Preferably the games will be played on Battle.net, but if for some reason you can't use Bnet then you can use Hamachi-- provided your opponent agrees. Maybe in the future we can set up a PVPGN server, or use one that someone else is hosting :S

If I have to install on my laptop and play from a sekrit source, so be it. I *think* 1v1 will work on bnet, and i'll continue to test today :)

any way you look at it, this'll be fun!

*edit - if anyone wishes to help me test hamachi to make sure I have a viable way of not failing by default in this tournament, pm me or message me on steam: JadeAuto

Second edit*: 1v1's on bnet work fine for me, so I'm good there. More than 1v1? I am le screwed.

Play you all soon!

Hey, I'll actually sign-up right now.

SynthesizedStampede: Protoss

And about that battle.net issue, apparently I'm one of those people who have trouble playing on it haha. What my friend has showed me that's worked is Garena, but unfortunately it's sometimes laggy on there. I haven't tried Hamachi with Starcraft though...hmm...

Downloaded all the maps onto my hardrive. Already tested on in an actual game play with a computer (I was surprised to actually beat it quite easily) Of course, I intend to play actual people to help me practice.

A few things that might be an issue for me. I'm still doing an intensive course, and it'll be ending around next week (Thursday I believe). The good news is that I at least come home around 1 to 1:30 the latest; of course, it's an intensive, so I might have a bit of work on my plate to do. The only other issue might be with my wirless network, but it hasn't hiccuped on me for a while. Plus when it does, normally it should reconnect before I get dropped.

Anyway, I give a late thanks to Garian for the advice, and also to him for organizing the tourney, even if I might not show up due to work. I am hoping to have a practice round or two sometime before them match with anyone. I wouldn't mind have a go with you Tensei.

Hmmm.... I'm hesitant to sign up until I know what dates the competition starts and ends, since I'll be busy between certain dates. But if it's double elimination, I'll probably be eliminated pretty fast anyway :nicework:

Chances are I'll be ok. What the heck, I'm in:

BNet name: FriendlyWarlord

Race: random

LordObsidious: There won't be any set "match times," instead I'll let the players submit their replays to me throughout the week of each bracket. Hopefully that should be enough to accommodate even the busiest folks, if not, once the brackets ARE posted PLEASE contact me and your opponent so we can work something out!

friendlyHunter: I not sure on when the tournament will be over, that's depends on how many people enter! BUT we'll be beginning wednesday and when you get in contact with your opponent, play as much "warm-up" as you like, but you should play each map successively when you decide to get into it. It's a little lax but I get the impression that most guys here are casual players, I want everyone to have a good time and feel they played to their best ability. On wednesday I'll have the proper replay filename convention ready, I've gotta work out a couple of issues regarding how SC handles file names (it doesn't really give you enough characters).