Task Manager Won't Launch.....

Mass

Whenever I try to launch the task manager through the Ctrl+Alt+Del shortcut, i get the message that the task manager is disabled by the Administrator.

However, the only person who have access to my laptop in only me and i never changed any settings. Any one have any idea?

It sounds like when your account was created, it wasn't given full admin permissions. You'll need to login under the admin account (there has to be one, the computer won't let you have no admin account on the computer) and change your user settings to "Administrator". You can do this by going to the control panel and clicking user accounts. Doing this will also show you which account on your laptop has admin rights. The username will be on the left and "Administrator" on the right.

If you can't remember the password for the admin account, though, I dunno what to tell you...

That's the thing, my account is the administrator which gives me full access to everything. This problem started last night when my IE was acting up, so I decided to close it using the task manager. But it won't launch and hence, the creation of this thread.

I had this happen to me once and it was due to some "annoyance" malware. With your IE messing up, I can only imagine what other viruses you might have.

It can be detected by antivirus scans and easily erased so run virus scans now.

Hope this helps!

If by malware you don't mean Lavos do you? Coz I've just restarted my laptop now and there's this notification box stating that I've been infected. *sigh*

Guess I found the problem....I'll try and see if a scan could fix this. However any other suggestions on what I should do? And please don't say format it...

The only Anti-virus I have is NOD32. And nope not Lava Soft.

It says in the title window, "Codename:Lavos", and then it says "Your computer has been infected".

hoo Boy... seems like other symptoms other than unable to launch the Task Manger are:

1) Can't open the Hardisk by clicking it directly, need to right click it then click explore.

2) External Hard-rive can't be disconnected even if I'm not accessing it.

3)My apps run slower than normal..

a repair installation would definitely take care of it easily, but there's gotta be ways that aren't so lengthy and power-user-ish to do it.

try getting HijackThis and running it. post your log from that, and maybe i'll see something i recognize.

edit: also, try downloading the sysinternals Process Manager. it's an advanced form of task manager that might help me out in figuring out what's there and what's not. see anything specific that's not supposed to be there?

Here's what I got, I hope it's the right thing though.

can saved at 2:24:27 AM, on 5/22/2009

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.20544)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2006\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePerformance\MemCheck.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscript.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe

C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\QtZgAcer.EXE

C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe

C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePresentation\ePresentation.exe

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Topro\tppoll.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD8\PDVD8Serv.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe

C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared Files\brs.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe

C:\Program Files\CursorXP\CursorXP.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxext.exe

C:\Program Files\DAP\DAP.EXE

C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\PCSync2.exe

C:\Program Files\DNA\btdna.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe

C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe

C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nokia\MPAPI\MPAPI3s.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\DOCUME~1\USER\LOCALS~1\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclUSBSrv.exe

C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclRSSrv.exe

C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclBCBTSrv.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.plusnetwork.com

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 192.168.101.7:8080

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local;<local>

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe wscript.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lavos.vbs

O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.3572\swg.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [skyTel] SkyTel.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AzMixerSel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\AzMixerSel.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\QtZgAcer.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ePower_DMC] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [boot] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\Boot.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer ePresentation HPD] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePresentation\ePresentation.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDVD8LanguageShortcut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD8\Language\Language.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPPOLL] C:\Program Files\Topro\tppoll.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl8] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD8\PDVD8Serv.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bDRegion] C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared Files\brs.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [bgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CursorXP] C:\Program Files\CursorXP\CursorXP.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TuneUp MemOptimizer] "C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2006\MemOptimizer.exe" autostart

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DownloadAccelerator] "C:\Program Files\DAP\DAP.EXE" /STARTUP

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Nokia.PCSync] "C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\PCSync2.exe" /NoDialog

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [bitTorrent DNA] "C:\Program Files\DNA\btdna.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [showDeskFix] regsvr32 /s /n /i:u shell32 (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [showDeskFix] regsvr32 /s /n /i:u shell32 (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [showDeskFix] regsvr32 /s /n /i:u shell32 (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [showDeskFix] regsvr32 /s /n /i:u shell32 (User 'Default user')

O4 - Global Startup: Acer Empowering Technology.lnk = ?

O4 - Global Startup: AutoCAD Startup Accelerator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\acstart17.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?

O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Clean Traces - C:\Program Files\DAP\Privacy Package\dapcleanerie.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie2.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll

O23 - Service: Memory Check Service (AcerMemUsageCheckService) - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePerformance\MemCheck.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe

O23 - Service: Eset HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\EHttpSrv.exe

O23 - Service: Eset Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe

O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe

O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe

O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2006\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe

--

End of file - 12262 bytes

I have no idea about the process manager thingy. Lol, I'm not much into this computer stuff.

As far as I can remember Lavos is a vbs script run by a worm, this actually explains why you have a dozen wscript.exe running. I'm not the best person to ask for cleaning your machine, a few years in corporate IT has made me realize that reimaging (aka format and install) is actually less work then hunting down tools and hoping they work. But I would guess there are online virus scanners or bootable cd with virus scanners that will work for you.

To Schwaltzvald - Like I said, I'm not into the in depth stuff of computers and my knowledge on computers are only above average. So I have no idea on what SP2 and SP3 are. You could explain this to me if you want though, I'm quite interested in this.

To the prophet of mephisto - Thanks for your kind response and I'll take your advice on seeking help on the various tech forums.

To Nutritious - Thanks for the link and I'll give this a shot.

Thanks for the kind help guys.

SP = Service Pack. He's referring to the service packs to Windows XP.

If, at this point, you're not running Service Pack 3 (which has been out for roughly a year, if I remember correctly), that means you're probably not having Windows Update automatically update Windows for you. Which is a *very bad thing*. Microsoft releases frequent security patches and bug fixes for Windows through Windows Update (as well as using it to push service packs to Windows users).

It's entirely possible that your virus infection happened because someone used a Windows exploit that you hadn't had patched yet (though realistically, it's more likely to have happened because you either downloaded stuff from sketchy sites and/or don't have proper antivirus software running).

a few years in corporate IT has made me realize that reimaging (aka format and install) is actually less work then hunting down tools and hoping they work.

True fact. I'm working IT right now and whenever anyone ends up with a virus the answer is "your files are saved on the network drive, right? Okay then, go go gadget reimage, your computer will be fine in a half hour or so."

But yeah. If you still have a Windows disk lying around, pulling anything you want to keep onto a flash drive or something and then reformatting is probably easiest and safest.

To Schwaltzvald - Like I said, I'm not into the in depth stuff of computers and my knowledge on computers are only above average. So I have no idea on what SP2 and SP3 are. You could explain this to me if you want though, I'm quite interested in this.

To simplify things as much as I can... - Service Packs are basically software updates/upgrades that dramatically change the operating system enough that it's usually better than it's original iteration. Service Pack 2 is best known for adding quite a few popular features and fixes.

The last service pack for Windows XP is Service Pack 3 (SP3) in which a total of 1,174 fixes have been included among other features.

Doing the upgrade may solve a lot of your problems as Microsoft sends out software tools to clear out malware every few months or so. (though not all will fix every thing)

I'd also recommend switching to another web browser as IE (Internet Explorer) is rather notorious in being as unsafe compared to others like opera's browser or Mozilla's Firefox web browser. However even those alternatives are not always safe choices as it all depends on your habits and where you usually go...

Take a look at them and give them a try.

you know what? SP3 installs the Malicious Software Removal tool, too. try updating, and see if that finds/fixes anything. control panel -> automatic updates, and set it to the top (installs automatically). set the time when it updates to around an hour from now, and it'll get the files when it's time. it'll take a while, fyi, but it's totally worth it.

if not, then go to a tech support forum.

If, at this point, you're not running Service Pack 3 (which has been out for roughly a year, if I remember correctly), that means you're probably not having Windows Update automatically update Windows for you. Which is a *very bad thing*.

My computer's XP Media Center (though it reads in properties as Professional) SP2. I downloaded the executable from Microsoft for SP3 and installed it on another computer, it worked, but when I tried to install it on my computer, it failed and restarted my computer. After that I also tried automatic updates, and that failed just the same and restarted. I hate restarting my computer, so I just haven't bothered with it since. So far, no problems, so I haven't taken to caring about it.

you...hate...restarting you realize that's how you keep it running quickly and smoothly, right?

Yeah, but I try to restart it as seldomly as possible. I usually end up restarting it for a reason other than speed issues. I think the longest it's been on was 4 weeks.