Laptop scrolling is driving me crazy

zircon

I have a new Toshiba laptop with a virtual mousewheel on the right part of the touchpad. You drag up and down to scroll. The problem is that the scroll keeps getting "stuck" - even after I lift my finger up, it will keep scrolling and I have to click the right side again to get it to stop. It's really friggin' annoying because I NEVER want that feature to be active, but I can't find anything in the settings to disable it!!

ok, so synaptics touchpad. Vista 64?

The reason I ask is that I recently put Windows 7 on my Dell Latitude notebook and for the life of me could not find a driver compatible with the 64-bit version. Finally, via some randomly Googled forum post, I found a 64-bit driver for a different Dell laptop (which happened to use the same touchpad, apparently) and it's been working flawlessly ever since. So, does the Toshiba website for your laptop model offer updated drivers yet?

(This all sounds rudimentary, but as you probably know we have to cover the basics first.)

I'd look for an update first. Synaptics drivers for 64-bit seem few and far between, and so do Alps. I guess they really don't invest a lot of time into the 64-bit laptop scene yet, despite the increasing prevalence of these units. I looked into my own settings, and I don't see anything that would signify a perpetually scrolling "feature". So, the first thing I'd try to obtain is a driver update from the official source, the Toshiba driver/support website, if indeed they do have one. Use Device Manager (Start-->Run-->devmgmt.msc) to compare driver versions before you download/install. You may already have their newest version.

is it a free-flying scroll wheel? my logi revolution mx has a wheel that will scroll freely when i throw it in a direction rather than slowly scrolling. there should be some way to disable it and link the weight/brake back up to the wheel through the options if that's what it is.

I think he alluded to the fact that it was the built-in trackpad that was giving him the odd scrolling issue. Seems like maybe it's having a similar effect to when you middle click in a webpage and the double arrow cursor shows up. Only, it's like his scroll gets stuck in normal operation. Does that sound about right?

with the last Toshiba I owned I ran into this problem as well and to fix it I had to go into the Mouse Properties (see control panel). Though, by the sounds of it, it's no longer there so there may be a "Toshiba tool" somewhere in the start menu used for adjusting such settings, but knowing toshiba it has some retarded name to it making it a pain to find.

Edit: Did a quick search and a number of posts still refer to Mouse Settings as the place to look.