Games That Rock Vol. 1

Spazer

My rock remix album "Games That Rock Vol. 1" is free to download here http://www.mediafire.com/?34tm0ztimmy

The Track list is:

1. New Life (Killer Instinct Theme)

2. Mega Man Jam Pt. 1 (Flash Man)

3. Metroid Jam Pt. 1 (Title & Ridley Theme)

4. Contra Jam Pt. 1 (Base)

5. Intermission (Secret of Mana Theme)

6. Metroid Jam Pt. 2 (Brinstar Red)

7. Mega Man Jam Pt. 2 (Crash Man)

8. Mega Man Jam Pt. 3 (Dr. Wily Stage 1)

9. D-Day (Doom E1M1 & Duke Nukem Theme)

10. Contra Jam Pt. 2 (Boss)

If you want to listen to a few songs before downloading the album head over to http://myspace.com/ypipspazer

Thanks,

Spazer

Again, thanks everyone, I really appriciate it.

I'm in the middle of working on Games That Rock Vol. 2

So far I have:

Contra - Snow Fields

Castlevania - Level 3

Bionic Commando Theme

Zelda OoT - Song of Storms

and last but not least

Chrono Trigger - Frog's Theme

Check those songs out (except Bionic Comando) out on my youtube page.

http://youtube.com/youpickiplay

You can find the download link for that song on each Video in the description.

Currently working on Street Fighter 2: Ryu's Theme

Stuff like this belongs in Workshop: ReMixes, regardless of whether you intend to submit to OCR or not.

Anyway these are cool.

Thanks, and sorry dude, I'm new here lol... I don't know what I'm doing.

And.... I am trying to submit this to OcRemix... anyone know how I can submit an entire album???? Not just a song..

Would it be possible to get this released as an OCR album? Would be kinda weird to have a single-band album on OCR, but it doesn't seem like there should be a reason not to. I recall djp expressing interest expanding the scope of site albums when the Contra 4 project was announced, even though a lot of people involved had never submitted to OCR.

I personally don't think having a lot of mixers and taking years to finish need to be criteria for site albums. If it's solid music, it's solid music, right?

Would it be possible to get this released as an OCR album? Would be kinda weird to have a single-band album on OCR, but it doesn't seem like there should be a reason not to. I recall djp expressing interest expanding the scope of site albums when the Contra 4 project was announced, even though a lot of people involved had never submitted to OCR.

I personally don't think having a lot of mixers and taking years to finish need to be criteria for site albums. If it's solid music, it's solid music, right?

That's what I was thinking, I mean I see that OCR has albums..... I don't know... like I said I'm new here I don't know if they post remixers albums or they only post albums if it's a group of remixers.

I'm just trying to put my remixes and albums out there.... I thought OCR would be the place.

oh and dhsu, the remixes are just done by me, 1 guy, not a band. lol, just letting you know.

I love it, another song that would fit amazingly well into this is Silver Surfers 2nd level music since it gets no love and my skills of a musician = suck.

Oh yeah my fav part is Contra Boss at 3:21 on mark.

You're favorite part is the very ending of the cd??

That's SICK!!! "WAY TO END THE CD MAN!!!!" lol

Awesome man, glad you enjoyed it

First of all, I like what I hear. It's pretty clean, and the guitars rock. You take what the songs give you and work up a nice rockstorm.

However, I don't see these as all really fitting as OC Remixes. Most have arrangements that are far too close to the original. For instance, the Doom/Duke Nukem song sounds like a better-sampled version of the original, with little variation. While the bump up from general midi to your nice riffs is very welcome, it's nowhere near what I was hoping for after hearing Evil Horde's Hangarmageddon ballsy rendition of E1M1.

Another song like this is the Dr Wily jam. The intro and outro are fantastic, with judicious use of reverb on the well-known melody to give it a softer and more progressive tone, but the middle three minutes don't go a single second without a guitar plowing away at riffs. If you could incorporate more of the sounds you created in the intro/outro into the middle of the song, change the tempo a little, it'd go a long way to giving the song a much more layered feel, rather than intro/ROCKROCKRCORKCORKCROCKRCOKROCK/outro. I love me some rock, but without any breaks the riffs lose their power and can become tiresome.

The repetitiveness of many riff progressions also contributes to the sensation that the arrangement is neither complex enough or straying from the originals enough to merit mass submission. It seems as though 80% of the time in each song is almost note-for-note, with the arrangment changes being largely composed of layering the melodies at slightly different times. In Crash Man I don't think I could really point out a part of the song as truly unique. A lot more work is needed on that front. You've shown that you can rock and make the good ole themes sound awesome, I just think it's too straightforward an interpretation at this stage for site submission.

First of all, I like what I hear. It's pretty clean, and the guitars rock. You take what the songs give you and work up a nice rockstorm.

However, I don't see these as all really fitting as OC Remixes. Most have arrangements that are far too close to the original. For instance, the Doom/Duke Nukem song sounds like a better-sampled version of the original, with little variation. While the bump up from general midi to your nice riffs is very welcome, it's nowhere near what I was hoping for after hearing Evil Horde's Hangarmageddon ballsy rendition of E1M1.

Another song like this is the Dr Wily jam. The intro and outro are fantastic, with judicious use of reverb on the well-known melody to give it a softer and more progressive tone, but the middle three minutes don't go a single second without a guitar plowing away at riffs. If you could incorporate more of the sounds you created in the intro/outro into the middle of the song, change the tempo a little, it'd go a long way to giving the song a much more layered feel, rather than intro/ROCKROCKRCORKCORKCROCKRCOKROCK/outro. I love me some rock, but without any breaks the riffs lose their power and can become tiresome.

The repetitiveness of many riff progressions also contributes to the sensation that the arrangement is neither complex enough or straying from the originals enough to merit mass submission. It seems as though 80% of the time in each song is almost note-for-note, with the arrangment changes being largely composed of layering the melodies at slightly different times. In Crash Man I don't think I could really point out a part of the song as truly unique. A lot more work is needed on that front. You've shown that you can rock and make the good ole themes sound awesome, I just think it's too straightforward an interpretation at this stage for site submission.

That's the point. I want the songs to sound like the originals but just with instruments, not midi. I personally don't think these songs are remixes, more like upgrades or just rock renditions. But it seems like everyone else on the internet likes to call these songs remixes, I'm not going to argue with them.

Plus, I personally don't like when remixers change the song too much from the original game music, and I'm really proud that my songs stay close to the originals. That's the way I want to hear it.

Thanks for the criticism, and I hope you enjoy the album

I enjoyed it. Good playing, decent production. But if you want onto OCR, these songs probably aren't gonna do it. Hate to break it to ya man, but the site probably wouldn't accept most of these. Straight covers usually have a rough time on the panel. Still, it's a good album for what it is.

Well, I mean, most the songs I hear are straight covers. Just different tempo, and with synths/keys instead of the original midi sounds. So, I don't see why rock covers shouldn't make the cut....

We'll see, I sent in Track 2 off the album to OCR, let's see if it makes it, if not. Oh, well...

Games That Rock Vol. 1

Download full album here http://www.mediafire.com/?34tm0ztimmy

Listen to some tracks here http://myspace.com/ypipspazer

Be sure to follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ypipspazer

Spazer, Im digging the music, really! It has a very rocking, almost progressive feel to it( i think someone mentioned this earlier). Might I suggest uploading the full album on to myspace music? With their (fairly) recent expansion, they let artists upload enitre discographys, so it might be cool to upload all you songs there. Jut a thought. :D

Spazer, Im digging the music, really! It has a very rocking, almost progressive feel to it( i think someone mentioned this earlier). Might I suggest uploading the full album on to myspace music? With their (fairly) recent expansion, they let artists upload enitre discographys, so it might be cool to upload all you songs there. Jut a thought. :D

I'm pretty sure that's only for signed artists, I can't find that feature anywhere.

To hear songs that are going to be on "Games That Rock Vol. 2" go to my myspace page @ http://myspace.com/ypipspazer (Feel free to add me)

Also, if you want to know when and what my upcoming "remix" is going to be, be sure to follow me on twitter @ http://twitter.com/ypipspazer

Last but not least, if you want to see video of me playing these "remixes" check out my youtube channel @ http://youtube.com/youpickiplay (Feel free to subscribe)