Terminator Salvation

Azure Prower

Not bad, but not that great either. Wasn't lacking on the action at all and the CGI, for the most part, was excellent. Gotta agree with Admiral. There were some things that would have been much better left out of the trailers...

I thought Marcus was a great character and Worthington did wonderful.

On another note, what was Kommon's character's name and wtf did he did do, if anything other than have like 4 generic lines? Go McG:tomatoface:

I'd give it a solid grade C

The action was far above average, and the environments, scenery, and cinematography were great. However, most of the characters didn't have much depth, and the plot was OK, but parts of it were really dumb.

My three biggest qualms:

WHY WAS KYLE REESE SAID TO BE #1 ON THE MACHINES TERMINATION AGENDA AND THEN THEY GET HIM AND DO NOT KILL HIM TO STOP JOHN CONNER OR DO ANYTHING WITH HIM AT ALL?

We see a scene where John Conner is grabbed by the neck by a certain special Terminator but he is just fine since apparently Terminators don't know how to kill people, except a minute later he locates Marcus's heart and promptly punches him in it effectively killing him, at least temporarily...

Terminators or humanoid robots made of metal do not float...

Haven't seen the newest movie, but going from the last movie and Sarah Connor Chronicles. The terminators don't have the heartlessness and narrow mind set as the first two movies had. Now you have terminators defecting just because and the actual terminators that are meant to be bad going soft.

If it were like the orginal movies. Terminator sees human/target. Bang. Dead. Mission successful. (question is, what is its purpose once its mission is complete?)

I came out of this movie with the same feelings I had about Star Trek. It's just another generic action SciFi movie that has only a passing resemblence to its franchise. It's enough to keep you from being bored and generally looks good, but beyond that there's just nothing there.

Hell John Connor is arguably not even the main character given how much more often Marcus is on screen. It's also full of inconsistencies and silly plot holes too, where Terminators apparently choose not to kill their targets. And did we really need the Borg Queen scene?

Overall it was just another "meh" movie.

*SPOILERS*

As a Terminator sequel/prequel, it was sub-par at best. I was very disappointed in the characters and plot. The love plot between Marcus and the pilot was tacked on and not even slightly believable/necessary. As said before, the first T-800 is quite stupid for not finishing John off quickly. If it was to do it's job of *ahem* termination effectively, why didn't it just pick John up and squash his freakin' skull?! What was the point of bashing him across the room and slowly pursuing him?!

Not only that, but Skynet in general is quite naive. So, they make a cyborg infiltrator (Marcus), yet don't account for the off-chance that he might choose to disobey their orders?! Couldn't they simply control his mind with a chip or something? How stupid can a self-aware mechanical grim reaper be?!

All those complaints aside, this movie is great when you turn your mind and see it as only an action movie. Better than average action scenes and great soundwork! And you know what?

Terminators still look fricking cool...

I agree with the guy who says it's like the new Star Trek film, a subpar film just trying to milk off a nearly dead franchise. The first two terminator films were excellent films that didn't need more sequels, and well, the other terminator films stink, and don't get me started with pathetic excuse of a tv series, I actually watched the pilot season. Though I don't understand how Star Trek is getting praise while this is getting shit thrown at it.

You know, I quite enjoyed this movie. It's not a masterpiece, but it's a damn entertaining ride. Don;t really get why it got all the hate from the critics.

Haven't read much from the critics, though I've heard it's had a kind of "meh" feeling.

It wasn't a bad film at all, good action, great acting from each person involved. I think that the storyline is probably not the strongest thing in the film, although I have heard that they're making this into a trilogy, so, I'd say that maybe the storyline will get a bit more depth as it goes along.

I haven't seen this yet, but I do have to agree that giving the Terminators more personality and morality bothers me. I liked it when the people were the focus of the story and the Terminators were more or less just a plot device and/or one-dimensional antagonist/protector. I feel like T2 went far enough into the "Terminators have a conscience" idea. T3 touched on it again (and honestly T3 was just a remake of T2 with an older John Connor and Judgement Day actually happening). The TV show really bothers me because it completely dismantles the cannon established in T3. Plus as hot and awesome as Summer Glau is, I hate her character (Cameron) and that comes back to the whole "Terminators have personality/conscience" thing.

I just hope it isn't as bad as T3. From what I have read it sounds like it isn't that bad, but I'll probably have issues with the whole "Terminator thinks he's human" idea.

Though I don't understand how Star Trek is getting praise while this is getting shit thrown at it.

Apart from the new Star Trek movie making it "cool" to like Star Trek while the new Terminator movie making the series appear shit. No. I don't understand why the two movies are getting polar opposite reviews. Not at all.

Any how. What made the original Terminator movies was it was deep and meaningful with a sense of terror. The terminators were frightening and the plot all came together with a moral behind it. Heck, there was even a sex scene with a purpose other than to simply jack off to.

That's what the new movies lack. Substance.

The latest movies appear to be just senseless action. The Terminators are cuddly care bears with guns and John Connor is a douche.

Killer robots killed stuff. Heroes killed the robots. Stuff blew up.

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for in a Terminator sequel.

Someone give Sinewav a medal

Honestly people it's Terminator it's guns and bad guys and bangs and booms what more do you want?

Someone give Sinewav a medal

Honestly people it's Terminator it's guns and bad guys and bangs and booms what more do you want?

That seems to be your answer for every movie. As far as the action and stuff goes I'm sure it was great, but its very frustrating when you've grown to love certain characters and aspects of a franchise and then they throw it all away for no good reason.

I didn't think they could get any worse than Nick Stahl to play John Connor, but I was wrong. I really do not enjoy Christian Bale. I suffer through him in the Batman movies because I enjoy Christopher Nolan very much. But I think he was the wrong choice for John Connor. I'll have to see the movie for myself, but just from the trailers he doesn't seem like a very good John Connor. They should have gotten Edward Furlong to do it again. Shame that he was all fucked up when they shot T3. It would have been really awesome to see the same actor grow into the role. Would have been excellent for continuity too.

Like I've said, I'll have to see it before I judge it, but considering the mediocre quality of the other movies I've seen so far this summer, I'm not expecting much.

That seems to be your answer for every movie.

That's usually my general answer for summer action flicks as a whole. I don't normally get into details unless asked, but I'll go ahead and talk more about my view of the movie.

Christian Bale plays John Connor very differently than Connor's other actors did mostly because the writers were going for a much different John Connor. In T4 he's a jaded war veteran who has nearly lost hope in the future he has come to expect, as opposed to the more hopeful version of his childhood and adolescent portrayals, and Bale does a good job at this role as far as I'm concerned.

Also, nothing in this movie really serves to "humanize" the machines. Marcus Wright is basically the 6 million dollar man and by no means a machine, as referenced in John Connor's wife's little monologue at the end of the movie.

I'll agree with most of the stuff said here about Bale. I loved him as Batman, but he's really not all that great in this movie. All he seems to do is his typical whisper/yell stuff.

Wright was an interesting character though. Sure the whole "what is human?" question is a cliche, but it's a good cliche. The movie probably would have been a lot cooler if it had just been about him. Whenever Connor was on the screen, I found myself wishing it would get back to Wright's storyline.

[spoilerS]

Anyone know how they got Arnie at the end of the movie? I looked for his name in the credits, but never saw it. Did they get a body double and superimpose his face or something?

[/spoilerS]

WHY WAS KYLE REESE SAID TO BE #1 ON THE MACHINES TERMINATION AGENDA AND THEN THEY GET HIM AND DO NOT KILL HIM TO STOP JOHN CONNER OR DO ANYTHING WITH HIM AT ALL?

We see a scene where John Conner is grabbed by the neck by a certain special Terminator but he is just fine since apparently Terminators don't know how to kill people, except a minute later he locates Marcus's heart and promptly punches him in it effectively killing him, at least temporarily...

Terminators or humanoid robots made of metal do not float...

That terminator in particular was probably fresh out of the box, so to speak...

As for floating, dude, c'mon, this is a movie about an apocalyptic future with robots, and flying robots at that, so I don't think we can apply too much logic into this... :razz:

Anyways, as to the plot, here's what I think...

POTENTIAL SPOILERS.....

Skynet was searching for Kyle Reese and Connor, and had at least several options before it...

1. Make half human, half terminators, in that test, they could see how far they could make a terminator human, which in part, having human minds. And use that to lure Connor and or Reese into a trap. After all, Skynet knows the future has been altered, and is finding different ways to wipe out humans.

2. Keep Kyle Reese alive for the time, as a means to lure John Connor out, Connor try to rescue him, and then kill them both.

3. Do the same thing they did with Marcus, replicate tissue, put Reeses' mind into a terminator frame, and kill John Connor upon first meeting. They could also send the Reese terminator back into the past, and kill Sarah Connor as well, just to make sure that humans have no hope.

Those are at least my thoughts...

And did anybody notice how they played the some of the same song that young John Connor listened to when he was in a foster home? The Guns N Roses song I mean?

Wouldn't that make it that much more likely to insta-kill him, given that its most basic programming would be to kill anything human?

Oh I don't know, I figured that it didn't kill Marcus because more than likely, it knew he was a terminator, until Marcus attacked it, then it probably figured it was a defected one, and figured it should kill him to stop messing with his mission.

I'm not one for logic with films anymore, I mean, I just watched The Spirit, and enjoyed it thoroughly :tomatoface:. I know there are ones that always have to find some sort of logic in movies, granted, I like it with SOME forms of movies, like crime/mystery movies, especially if there set in modern day, or even in 50's eras, you get the idea.

I liked the film, wasn't bad, wasn't the worst film I'd ever seen either (Santa Claus vs. The Martians is right up there, but is only saved by Mystery Science Theater riffing it). Was there plot holes, or things that didn't really add up? Of course, but hey, I think they did alright with what they went with at least.

And what's with everyone complaining about Christian Bale/The Dark Knight? Sure, he was similar to his Bruce Wayne act, but well, there's some difference in those two characters, personality wise, but not much, at least to me that is. But now all of a sudden The Dark Knight haters are coming out of the woodwork, "ohh, now it's 'cool' to hate that movie now, I better agree with the bloggers!" (Of course, if you didn't like Dark Knight for VALID reasons, that's fair enough with me)