Freeware Awesomeness: Cave Story

Millipede

"Cave Story is a freeware sidescrolling action/adventure/platformer title with leanings

towards Wonderboy and recent sidescrolling Castlevania titles.

For a freeware Japanese platformer, it´s fairly lengthy and has quite a large amount of

text. I´d guesstimate that each playthrough, provided you knew what you were doing,

would take about 4-6 hours. Tack on an extra couple of hours if you don´t know what

you´re doing, possibly for extreme problems with nasty bosses (which this game has

plenty of, especially towards the end.) We´re also talking three very different endings,

plenty of plot, and quite a cast of charming characters. It really is a superb little gem :)"

I've only been playing this for a few minutes and already it seems pretty amazing. It's

being released on wiiware fairly soon, and seems to be well known in freeware circles,

but I thought I would share anyways. Good stuff like this too often goes unnoticed.

download (it's the guy with the red pants)

english translation patch (v1.03 patch)

screenshot!

"Cave Story is a freeware sidescrolling action/adventure/platformer title with leanings

towards Wonderboy and recent sidescrolling Castlevania titles.

For a freeware Japanese platformer, it´s fairly lengthy and has quite a large amount of

text. I´d guesstimate that each playthrough, provided you knew what you were doing,

would take about 4-6 hours. Tack on an extra couple of hours if you don´t know what

you´re doing, possibly for extreme problems with nasty bosses (which this game has

plenty of, especially towards the end.) We´re also talking three very different endings,

plenty of plot, and quite a cast of charming characters. It really is a superb little gem :)"

I've only been playing this for a few minutes and already it seems pretty amazing. It's

being released on wiiware fairly soon, and seems to be well known in freeware circles,

but I thought I would share anyways. Good stuff like this too often goes unnoticed.

download (it's the guy with the red pants)

english translation patch (v1.03 patch)

screenshot!

Gee, you're late to the party. But hey, it happens.

Pretty sure most people on OCR know about Cave Story.

Also, as I have said on a number of occasions, topics about video games belong in Community. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Just two words DarkeSword: Ban Hammer. ;-) Okay, maybe not. Honestly, I think it's because no one reads the "Please Read First" etc... threads. The ones always stickied to the tops of forums that are trafficked frequently. It's quite silly in the end, and no big deal, people just learn a little quicker than others.

Pretty sure most people on OCR know about Cave Story.
Heh, I actually didn't know about it until you made mention of it on one of the threads I was in a few months back, DS (don't remember which, exactly)... I don't mind that it's getting a little extra advertisement, myself - even if most the people here know about it already.

Then again, that's not my call, either :tomatoface:.

Heh, I actually didn't know about it until you made mention of it on one of the threads I was in a few months back, DS (don't remember which, exactly)...

Likewise. I wouldn't have played it a month ago if the thread hadn't popped up. I'm glad I saw it! Just in time for the first CS ReMix.

5 Days a Stranger, 6 Days a Sacrifice, and 7 Days a Skeptic are better.

As much as I liked all 3 of those, I liked Trilby's Notes the best. The creepy flashback sequences and silent hill-esque hotel were pretty stellar in my opinion. Still, lovecraftian horror gets me regardless. All Hail Chzo!

(/random tangeant)

On the topic of cave story, I'm waiting for the slightly updated Wiiware version that'll be releasing for 10 bucks (hopefully) soon.

I get the impression something must have snagged, or they decided to wait till E3.

Cause the last progress update they did on the blog was along the lines of 'we're hoping to get it out late April early May'

Well it's June now and I still don't see any Cave Story. >(

They did keep talking about adding extra downloadable content in the future, so you can consider it as more than just an minor upgrade unless the downloadable stuff sucks.