OCR01848 - Neverwinter Nights "Kara-Turian Nights"

Great to see OCR get some Orchestra lovin'. Seems that DJP thought that it was time OCR had some too (with a direct post). And it's from a PC game, which is even better! And everybody loves the asian themed music. Well, at least I do.

Not familiar with the source, but it was a lush and rewarding listening experience. Kudos to you Mr. Soong, and may you have more to do with OCR in the future.

Absolutely brilliant; excellent job. I have nothing but praise for this piece, but unfortunately breakfast has the tendency to adversely affect both my verbosity and my full appreciation for the subtle nuances of music arrangement, so I'll just leave it at this for now: great job!

I liked the drums and percussion. The brass and strings were a little thin, and not much reverb which it needed. Some attacks weren't accented enough IMO but other than that I'd say nice job.

-Derek-

Agree with Derek pretty much all the way. I flagged it for DP, but I definitely noticed the realism issues; something to work on for the future, but in this case, the arrangement managed to rise above that. Glad to see Kenny back in the game and no longer an OCR 1-hit wonder.

Incredible textures; I absolutely love this one. I have absolutely no idea what the source track sounds like, but taken as a single piece of music, this is great. Drums everywhere, some great plucked strings, and orchestra that all clicks really well. Things did sound best when it was going full bore, but even the softer segments were enjoyable.

Super recommended, I hope more people hear this one.

Everyone, thank you so much for your comments! They mean a lot to me!

I just looked on the OCR front page and... uh, yeah. I'm in a really ecstatic mood right now. =3 I would really love to learn more about... EQ and balancing stuff, to really make the instruments stand out. If anyone has any resources or can point me in a direction, it'd be great. -_-;

Thank you guys again. =) Please enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
I can absolutely imagine this used as an introduction or montage with camera sweeps over vast plains, mountain tops, and other equally astounding scenery.

As soon as I listened to this, I saw in it the potential to do something along those lines. Granted, NWN's Aurora engine is not renown for its astounding scenery, but it does fit the piece. The innate adventure and vibrant nature that this remix conveys immediately suggested to me that it could be used in an introductory work. To that end I created something that is modeled after the

Of course, my creation uses in game footage rather than art, but the goal of introduction remains the same.

Great remix from a great game!

• 4 months later...
But I wonder, does anyone else get a 24 vibe from the part starting at ~2:05? The melody the brass is playing reminds me of the BGM of the series.

Glad it wasn't just me, heh.

This is pretty stellar stuff. Strong orchestral showings are my long-time weakness, especially when they are particularly this well executed. I'm liking the samples, despite a few people having issues. Percussion and strings come through well enough for me, and by that I mean, they reach my standard. There's always work to be done if we really want to improve, but I'm happy with how this sounds. Anything extra is unnecessary but welcome.

This brings out what I love about Jeremy Soule. He crafts these extremely solid yet totally simple melodies that are so direct and long-lasting despite not being elaborate or intricate. This mix stays true to Soule's melody, just giving it the body and arrangement that a well conducted orchestra can allow. And that I like very much.

It has bombastic qualities and delicate qualities to it, and not a whole lot of flaws. Left me wanting more.

• 1 month later...

Somber strings, elvish flutes, windy gongs, delectable drums... many instruments sound so smooth I want to caress them. Along with all the little flourishes throughout, they're like separate Christmas presents/decorations combining into a larger one. The mood brims with seasonal poignancy (heartwarming, hopeful, etc.) with different intensities assigned to it, and even though some of the shifts sound abrupt, they don't feel that way. In fact, my favorite moment is 2:48, when after Battle Aribeth puts up a foreboding front, suddenly the melody dips into a refreshing tone that says "worry not, all's right with the world."

Very very pleasant.

The ethnic flair was a perfect choice here, I like how you blended classical orchestra with something distinctly eastern... the source tune you chose is really great, reminds me of something from A Link to the Past in terms of its epic nature. The plucked... instrument-thingy that continues through much of the mix, as well as the hand drums, is a nice subtle touch that keeps the arrangement feeling ethnic throughout, even during the more cinematic parts.

This would feel right at home in a movie or RPG battle. Good interpretation! :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01848 - Neverwinter Nights "Kara-Turian Nights"