OCR01091 - EarthBound "Funky Bookas"

djpretzel

Great stuff by showdax here. I was lucky enough to lend an ear with some of the EQing on in when this was a WIP, so I think everything sounds well done. I know zyko was kinda critical on the guitar synth used here, but getting a guitarist isn't something that can just be done when you want it to be. Shadow did some nice work programming the guitar synth and giving it a lot of energy.

Compared to the original theme "Bazaar" from EB/Mother 2, "Funky Bookas" rocks out a lot more. Dax'll kill me for saying this too, but the EarthBound soundtrack is pretty strange. To me, it doesn't seem musically coherent, since everything's composed with weird sound effects. "Bazaar" is one of the better tracks from EarthBound, but Shadow succeeded in creating something more well-rounded musically.

As the resident EarthBound music enthusiast at OCR, Shadow's got plenty of great stuff coming up as well. I think you'll really enjoy "Live at Jackie's" as well as "Oceans of Mud". Check those WIPs out at VGMix or the OCR WIP forums and drop some comments on those. They're just as ambitious as Funky Bookas. Excellent stuff all around.

Another cool remix. Unfortunately I can't really apreciate it, or coment on any aspect of it very easily, since I'm listening on computer speakers. Anyway, I'll be back with my own system in a couple of days and this is one track I'll be making sure to download straight to my hdd. I'll post more thoughts once I've had a proper listen :)

Ah, that's better! Listening to it on my hifi. Well I have to say, the guitar synth fooled me, but never mind that :P

It's a great track but the lead guitar has too much presence. I'm guessing it's because of the thousands of processors you seem to have used on it. It's very sharp and heavy on the mid and high freq. It takes over the whole mix. The bass gets left out and I can hardly hear the kick drum for it. You might want to apply some mid-range cut with an eq and maybe process the kick drum too.

Otherwise, cool stuff :D

Well, I like it. There's a strange vibe going that's not found in a lot of songs, but you managed to pull it off, in my opinion. Specifically, I like any section identical to 0:30-0:50. The way the lead switches from the guitar to the...erm...background stuff...is really awesome. Then there's the section 2:01-2:30. The organ just rocks my face. It's such a great little moment in the song. Top notch work, Sr. Shadow. :nicework:

This song made me feel a lot of funky jives, but it so well done because of the fact that it had an element of punk rock in it! So I disided to use one of my own musical terms that only I and a few others use... are you ready? well, you see... this song is funky, but it's got the atitude of punk.

So it's not funk, and it's not punk, it's p(h)unk you prononce the p and then the f, like (pa,funk) sweet... :P

Bad and did not truely getting away from "Dalamm." I can really hear it played mostly thru the whole "remix." Having an empty "Songs:" tells me that they did not want people to know which song they dressed up...

3/10 from ME

Excuse me?

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, but if you're trying to say that this is a remix of the music in Dalaam, it isn't. I'm not sure how you could mistake it for that when the original is on this very site. In the .rsn file, it's Scaraba.spc and not Dalaam.spc. The official title is "Bazaar" though. You hear the song when in the town area of Scaraba.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The opening is absolutely awesome. I love the lead guitar, and I jam along air guitar to it, even though I haven't a clue as to how to play the guitar.

At most points in the song, it does sound scarabian, but at most times it's just happy and jumpy. I don't think alot about deserts when listening to this song. I sometimes imagine an arena when listening to the beginning, but it dissolves later into the song.

Very well done! The name kicks ass too! Funky Bookas!!!!

• 1 month later...

Shadow has more than earned my respect as an artist with this one. Despite the fact that 'Booka' means 'butt' in Romanian, despite the fact that I got killed in the Scaraba Desert time and again, I can say without doubt that this my favorite of all the OC Remixes I've heard.

As I've said time and again, I'm obsessed with Arabian or Egyptian sounding music. From PharoTeknical to Deep Damp Sandcastle, from Five Iron Frenzy's Fistful of Sand, to the band Ra, I'm simply in love with music that has that mysterious desert feel to it. This is a prime example of, as Lionaje calls it, the 'Pharo' subgenre.

• 5 months later...

Hmm... Interesting.

I think I've had this from the WiP forums well over a year ago, and for some reason didn't like it then. Then it came on OCR a few months later, and I thought it was okay up until around the time that I started playing it again a few months ago - and liking it.

It may be because it's such a unique song, but just from rarely ever listening to it over about a year I realized what the mix was really like and fell in love with it. It's just awesome.

Apologies for being so first-impressionistic about this mix. Very good if you have the ear for this kind of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You know, almost every single Earhtbound remix has been excellent? I want to thank all the artists for taking theie time with the soundtrack and giving it the attention it rightly deserves. As for this piece... wow.

First of all, great title. Thanks for that. The hearts of the fans go out to you. And, more importantly, great music! You've taken the original far from its roots, but kept something similar enough that it's instantly recognizable for what it is. I love at 1:20, when you go into a short riff, with the change in pace coming afterwards, introduced by heavy drums. Great way to end the piece as well. No suggestions here, just praise.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01091 - EarthBound "Funky Bookas"