OCR01849 - Phantasy Star Online "Ragol Weather"

This truly throws you into the deep end of technical wizardry, whether you are prepared for it or not. I'd really hate to be an amatueur mixer striving for a strong percussion-oriented mix to listen to this in the middle of mixing. Deflation.

It's definately a technical goliath; you can hear it from the word 'go', hammering out beats in every spare patch of space it can. The prowess in writing, the great choice in lead synth, and of course, the high-quality sound of Groove Bias, keep the ever-present drumwork from becoming chaotic or distracting.

In fact, one of things I love most about this is that drums are usually a bit of a blindspot for me when listening to music. I'm not that percepive of their presence as I am other elements. With this, everything is emphasising and pointing directly to the percussive elements, so it allowed me to really get something out of it and enjoy it.

It's a refreshing prospect to see mixes focusing more on drawn back ideals in music, and less on melodic exploration. I much prefer a good melody, but a sidestep from that discipline, like this one is, is always a welcome contrast to the usual sound coming from OCR. It's a spectacle to behold, that's for sure, and hopefully indicative of the caliber of experimental mixes to come.

• 1 year later...

After being introduced to more music and artists from the Jazz Fusion circuit, I have to say it's a treat to finally hear something of that nature from here. This arrangement definitely conveys the funky syncopation present in much of the music of its type, particularly those from the 80's. (I daresay, the good 80's music?) Granted, it doesn't stray too far from the original but that could be a good thing, with the lack of a "wanky lead solo section." I do know some japanese game music tend to go through the fusion route (Mario Kart, anyone?) and the instrument lineup certainly fits the character. Some very nice drum sequencing here given it's a demonstration of that so-called drum library, funny how this plays as a plug for it as well.

More...MORE...MOOOORE!!!!!!!!

PS: Great stuff, hope to hear more stuff like this. :D

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01849 - Phantasy Star Online "Ragol Weather"