OCR01093 - Breath of Fire "His First Good Deed"

djpretzel

Pretty good first mix from Trenthian. I liked each individual theme as it was, though I feel that put together it's a bit disjointed overall. I understand the story aspect, and that helps, though it's still a far jump from the first theme to the last.

FX don't really bother me, though I don't feel like they're really needed either. Just superfluous. I'm not really complaining about them, either, so it's all good.

Overall, nice work.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A few unpolished spots, but damn overall this is completely excellent!

Superb textures with the hand drums for the first part, and a great sense of motion. The synths in the next part seemed a little lofi and muddy, but they quickly faded to some great woodwinds and acoustic guitar.

Great drama in the middle section, and overall a really cool mix of instruments. Well played, this mix is great!

• 4 months later...

The first track by Trenthian. Very cool intro. Some of the orchestral samples, when exposed, are a little synthetic, but no where near a deal breaker. The drums help drive the piece and give it a great groove. Synth choices (both rhythmic and lead) are great. The acoustic guitar strumming adds a really nice touch. The oboe sounds great! There seems to be a little overdriving/clipping on the kick, but it's not terrible. The arrangement here is fantastic beyond words! The busy kick sections get a little overwhelming, but it builds the dynamics well. Interesting idea with the SFX. Not my favorite, but still a very very interesting idea! The breakdown about a minute from the end is great. The track moves in so many different directions that it's crazy (and not in a bad way). There were a couple production issues, but outside of that, this is incredible for a first piece! Excellent!!!!

• 1 month later...

Ever since I downloaded this song (years ago) it has remained in my BoF music folder because there's not enough Breath of Fire love out there and this song is amazing.

What I like about this medley is that it doesn't feel like just a song. It feels like it's telling a story. It starts out sad in the beginning and gradually builds itself up into something more epic with the battle theme. The sound effects during said battle theme are a really nice touch and adds to the mood of the piece. Then we get the victory theme and more uplifting music that really adds to the resolution. In spite of all this shifting around of mood and song, it's done in a way that it flows seamlessly.

The sound is good and the arrangement is just... clever. I do kind of feel like this would be more appreciated by fans of Breath of Fire, but that doesn't mean you should bypass it if you haven't played it. Definitely give it a listen!

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01093 - Breath of Fire "His First Good Deed"