Yet another Brambles (Update: 3/20 [Possible Final version])

old version: http://tindeck.com/listen/wvij

EDIT: SLIGHTLY LESS OLD VERSION: EDIT: VERSION 2: COLON: http://tindeck.com/listen/mtto

This is kind of a concept I've had in my head for a while, although currently its taking on a way more abstract form than I originally intended, kinda loosely gliding across some of the original's chords and melodies without ever really settling anywhere. I'd like to get some kind of trumpet or sax on there, not-so-much following the original melody but rather just kinda doing its own thing; the original is a nice track but the main thing that attracts me to it is just the atmosphere moreso than the actual melodies contained.

Anyway, listen, realize I'm talking for the most part out of my ass, then realize this isn't even close to being finished.

source:

EDIT2:

Fixed the fact that the outro didn't exist earlier, now its just completely out of place like it was intended to be. I'm definitely fine with someone rapping over the last few bars if they want to, but it has to be good though, but not too good either because that'd be a waste.

Version 3 (Final?): http://tindeck.com/listen/ojtg

• 9 months later...

What's the source on this? Guess I'm the only one out of the loop =P

It's pretty good, and I know it's not finished, but based on everyones comments, I kept expecting something to happen or really kick in at some point which it never did as of yet. It seemed to just really repeat the entire time for me in which, as I said, I kept waiting for something to happen.

Buuuut, since I'm not familiar with the source, that could also play a huge role in my current opinion. :D

added the link to first post as well.

HOW DARE YOU?!?!

</not really upset>

It's pretty good, and I know it's not finished, but based on everyones comments, I kept expecting something to happen or really kick in at some point which it never did as of yet. It seemed to just really repeat the entire time for me in which, as I said, I kept waiting for something to happen.

Exact same way I feel about it and problem I'm running into, but I've got a couple ideas.

You've got a lot of potential with this concept but it doesn't feel like it's progressing as it should. It's already 2 and a half minutes and it still feels like you're in intro/buildup mode. I definitely think you could fix this by beefing up some of your sounds a bit earlier (you already did this with the drumloop which is a good start) and exploring the many other melodies that Stickerbush Symphony has to offer :-)

The bass is really a high point of this for me, I love your creative pitch bending. However, I would personally just remove the first bass note, I don't think it fits :\

One last note, the arp transition that you used twice in this WIP is really awesome, but I definitely think it could get overplayed and that you should save it for moments when it really matters. The first time you used it felt like it needed a simpler, less-powerful transition.

Of course I love this though - one of my favorite genres of electronic music mixed with a brilliant source tune by a very talented remixer... all the keys for success. Just need to put some time into focusing your direction and polishing the finer points a bit ;-) Good luck!

haha, in all honesty, you might be :P

added the link to first post as well.

lol yeah....man, it's been forever since I've played any form of donkey kong and they've never been very high up on my notable list of music so it wasn't coming to me hearing it.

Thanks for the link!

You've got a lot of potential with this concept but it doesn't feel like it's progressing as it should. It's already 2 and a half minutes and it still feels like you're in intro/buildup mode.
This exactly what I was saying with my post. By atleast the minute mark or so it seems like it should do something. In the source, the drums and whatnot kick in at the 1:05 mark so I would try to make something really kick in for your song in a similar fashion.

However, no after hearing the source, it all makes more sense to me =P

But yeah, basically my thing is I just want it to kick in earlier than it does.

Thanks all for the comments, I've hopefully alleviated a lot of your concerns (except for the long intro, which I'll always do, I'm setting a vibe damnit!) with this newest version.

Done a lot of stuff, tightened up the drums a little, added more source, added a sax, added an outro that has nothing to do with the rest of the song but still sounds kinda cool.

Link : http://tindeck.com/listen/mtto

Actually, speaking of the outro, I'm getting some weird export problems where the CPU just spikes where the audio randomly cuts out on this WIP and I can't get a version where this doesn't happen. Aside from that everything else sounds great but for whatever reason the song always fails around the 3:50 mark.

I like where this is going. The first version did sound a bit tinny, but the mix has been fleshed out more since then. I like those small vocal drops sounding off every two bars.

While it's off to a good direction, can't help but think you do some more interesting stuff with the bass. Add some effects to it now and then, or maybe some wobbles. Not some aggressive wobbles but something that meanders every now and then, it's more fitting for this style. Here's an example of what I mean. Subtle changes like that are quick ways to make it more interesting.

Too bad that the last two minutes are lost, hope you can get that fixed soon. Can't wait to see the finish product!

I don't want a reese in this track because it would kill the vibe I'm going for. And also there is a fair amount of sub on this track, inaudible on iPod headphones and such but its definitely there.

There's definitely sub tones, primarily from your kick drum, but yeah there's definitely a bassline in there and as you said, you gotta have something that can put out atleast a clear 40Hz tone or so before you could really hear the lows in this song.

However, not being enough bass never came up on my list of issues personally.

Also - and apparently just because I'm really not all that familiar with DKC. I played the game, I liked it, but I only played it once many years ago so many of the references I don't know..What's the reese line?

Also - and apparently just because I'm really not all that familiar with DKC. I played the game, I liked it, but I only played it once many years ago so many of the references I don't know..What's the reese line?

Its not a DKC2 thing, but a Drum and Bass thing. In actuality the reese is based off of a house track (

IIRC, hence the name "reese") but has since evolved from (
) to (
). Basically its anything based off of two detuned saw waves, but obviously in the Spor track a significantly larger amount of processes has been applied and in this day and age it pretty much applies to any warped and squelchy bassline like that in DnB.

EDIT: I just realized he could be referring to the original bassline from the source, in which case I took out and wouldn't really call a reese, just a filtered saw wave.

Don't listen to Drum and bass personally. Get into more dubstep which definitely share a lot of similarities especially with the bass. I think I liked Spor the best out of those 3 you linked me.

Anywho, thanks for explaining that to me.

Oh yeah, Spor's been killing it super hard recently, I don't think I've heard the man produce a bad track and the Conquerors & Commoners EP (which Halogen is on) may be his best yet. And yeah there are a lot of similarities between Dubstep and DnB, a large part probably due to how many DnB producers also make dubstep (Black Sun Empire, Calibre, Chasing Shadows, Phace, a lot of others).

When will this be completed its awsome, never heard a brambles mix like it.It was so refreshing to me and I liked it alot keep up the good work oh and my advise (I'm not an exp man) why not add monkey sounds or vulture/squaks sounds toward the end in the background I think it would turn wonderful won't it?

When will this be completed its awsome, never heard a brambles mix like it.It was so refreshing to me and I liked it alot keep up the good work oh and my advise (I'm not an exp man) why not add monkey sounds or vulture/squaks sounds toward the end in the background I think it would turn wonderful won't it?

Thanks, although I don't think I'm going to add nature sounds but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Also, possibly final version is up now. It hasn't really changed much at all since the last version except an outro now exists, prolonging your (dis)enjoyment of the mix for another 20 or 30 seconds or so.