OpenID - One Account for all the internet

Zephyr

Stumbled across this today, it's an attempt to have websites integrate a single account system, no more remembering 25 usernames, email accounts and passwords!

It doesn't seem to be doing too well, but I'm hoping it continues to grow, apparently the site has been up since 2007 working behind the scenes. Check out their website and read up on it a bit.

http://openid.net/

It's all a conspiracy, man. They, like... want you to do all your interneting under one name, man. One name, one way to track everything you do. It's... it's like, they want to keep track of everybody all the time, but they can't, right? Too many people and not enough infringements on our rights, right? So they want you to do all your stuff under one name. Makes it easier to to keep an eye on everything you do, man... Shit, I think they know we're here, man. Better take a long walk, like, to another country. A country where it's not all fascist and stuff, right?

I think Zephyr is misrepresenting the idea with the thread title. A single account for ALL online activity may not be a good idea, but if you could organize your accounts so that all your trivial sites like forums and social networking use a single login while having your important sites like banking/auctions maintain their proprietary logins etc... then that's a good thing.

Also worth pointing out is that participating sites won't have your password or sensitive information. Participating sites handshake with your OpenID provider and that's where the authentication happens.

There's no way I'd use this for anything important like bank accounts or anything, mainly for trivial things like forums and random sites you'd only use once anyways. And I won't be using this until it becomes mainstream, if that ever happens.

Reminds me of an option XMarks has (formerly FoxMarks). For those of you who don't know, Xmarks stores all your bookmarks on a server, so you can easily load up all your bookmarks on any computer that has the plugin and Firefox.

When they changed their name they implimented the roaming username/password option. If you have a lot of computers and/or sites that need logins, I can see it being useful. I really don't trust storing that information anywhere besides my noggin.

I generally have 'categories' of passwords I have for different websites. e.g. all random internet sites and forums are one password, most of my game logins are another unique password, etc etc.

What's damn annoying is that, it's come to a stage where, certain website either requires greater than 8 characters (whereas my usual password is only 7 characters), some websites FORCE you to use numbers, capitalisations, or don't allow you to use symbols, and it just becomes a mess.

It's a serious headache now that I have variations of all my passwords, with 'random' capitilisations and numbers, it's harder to come up with universal passwords that I used to have in the past. Bah.

But yeah, if worse comes to worse, I still don't think I'd rely on something like OpenID. At the very least I'd come up with my own list that I'd store in my primary e-mail account or something.

I have been wanting something like this for a long time. I'm on dozens of forums and EVERY ONE required a new login. It's just stupid. Facebook might be the closest thing to an OpenID system that is being widely-accepted... more and more sites are starting to accept Facebook logins.

Never heard of that actually, I've noticed anything microsoft now is using windows live ID's which is nice, and anything google related will use your gmail account (I use my gmail account for youtube).

I just found firefox's Master password system today, it's an interesting feature, I don't think I'll use it, but it's a good compromise between being way too secure, and unsecure. Basically it remembers your passwords and usernames for site, but when you access the site it will ask you for your firefox master password, punch it in and it'll unlock every remembered password for that session.

KDE (a linux desktop envrionment) has an automatic wallet system that will remember your passwords for all of your programs (any IM client, some programs, etc), and for websites. All you need is a master password and it'll pull up any password you need.

Frankly I'm going to go with meteo on this one. The only way using a piece of paper is going to be insecure is if you live with other people and they know where it is, or if someone breaks into your house / spies on you / etc.

KDE (a linux desktop envrionment) has an automatic wallet system that will remember your passwords for all of your programs (any IM client, some programs, etc), and for websites. All you need is a master password and it'll pull up any password you need.

Frankly I'm going to go with meteo on this one. The only way using a piece of paper is going to be insecure is if you live with other people and they know where it is, or if someone breaks into your house / spies on you / etc.

Yeah. Apple uses "Keychain" which basically does the same thing. I don't trust it. It would be the first place someone would look if they hacked my computer.

Most sites I visit use cookies anyway and the important ones (like banking and such) don't have cookies so I just remember those ones.

You know its actually been a full month since anyone anywhere has agreed with me? This made my day. :)

You know its actually been a full month since anyone anywhere has agreed with me? This made my day. :)

I disagree - paper is insecure - <conspiracy> the government has top secret ink recognition devices in all the paper of the western world, that's where all the tax dollars go!</conspiracy>. Yeah, much better with trusting a relatively unknown, humble website on the internet with access to your whole identity, across the internet.