Best Monitors for $350?

It seems it is between the new krk rp5g2s and the mackie mr5s. Anybody have any experience with those two? (or another suggestion that I've perhaps overlooked?)

I know the old krk rp5s were supposed to be excellent, but they don't sell them anymore and I'm not sure if the new ones are as good.

Also, I have a nice home theater sub I can hook up and use with the monitors, so the very low end will be taken care of.

Also, I have a nice home theater sub I can hook up and use with the monitors, so the very low end will be taken care of.
I'm not very experienced with monitors, but it sounds like that would defeat the purpose of buying monitors. You want an accurate response, which you're going to have a tough enough time getting with lower-end monitors. Adding bass from some random other source would probably just make that tougher.

The main problem you WILL have is that the frequency response on the monitors (as you have noted) is not great in the low end. You will miss a lot of boom and rumble since it cuts off at 53Hz. I had the same thing with my yamaha monitors. I use the KRK RP-10s powered sub and it compliments it perfectly. Using a random consumer sub generally is a bad way to go (in my experience) and you would be better off going with something a little more professional.

I guess my question would be, how do you know that the added sub "compliments it perfectly"? Did you measure the freq response before and after adding the sub and find that you were able to get a flatter bass response without adding any unwanted peaks? If so, how did you measure that? And what about room dynamics. That is just as important as the monitors themselves.

I guess my question would be, how do you know that the added sub "compliments it perfectly"? Did you measure the freq response before and after adding the sub and find that you were able to get a flatter bass response without adding any unwanted peaks? If so, how did you measure that? And what about room dynamics. That is just as important as the monitors themselves.

I suppose you'd have to just base it off the specs of each component.

Realistically, if the monitors he has are KNOWN to be cut off at 53Hz, then you'd just make sure nothing getting sent to the sub is above 50Hz and it should roughly work out I suppose.

Either way though, you'd have to take your existing left/right mix out of your soundcard or whatever you're using, have that go into a crossover and then use that to split the sub frequences and the mids and highs. Realistically if you had a sub, could you probably set the crossover to a 12dB/oct slop at around 100Hz, with everything below going to the sub and everything above going to your monitors.

It would just depend on each persons setup of course.

If your monitors are KRKs and you're adding in the sub from the same set, you'd assume they compliment perfectly (at least, as good as the quality of components are, assuming the company accurately measured and reported the stats of the monitors, etc.)

The sub is just there to add the freqs that the monitors cut off at, unless you think it's better to just use a frequency graph to see how the low end sounds.

I mainly use beyerdynamic's dt770 cans for mixing because my room is horribly set up (dorm room ftw!), so the monitors will mainly be for reverbs, stereo depth, how the mix translates over distances - things where any headphones mess up.

I'm not expecting $1500 quality here - just something that will give some perspective. (other than my crap logitech set up that I use to hear how mixes will sound on consumer grade speakers)

I'm with Harmony, I'd be skeptical that a subwoofer mitigates a compromised low-end on monitors. That's not really what a subwoofer is for...

A subwoofer is intended to represent the last octave of human hearing, 20-40hz. Not much goes on there in music, in fact most of that range is discarded during the mastering process. That range is mostly used for effect in movies.

In a studio, what gives an accurate representation of the bass are the main monitors -- not a subwoofer, not the near-fields. In a home studio you probably won't have the capacity for that kind of setup so you'll have to make do, but my point is that a subwoofer can't really "fill in" for monitors in a way that is accurate for music.

It's always better to get the best monitors you can instead of investing in a sub.

• 1 month later...

Alright, I've got to resurrect this thread for more opinions on the monitors.

Forget about the sub, it was a stupid idea. I just need some quality speakers and am going to buy something very soon.

So here it is, the line is drawn: mackie or krk?

leaning toward mackie at this point in time even though the price is more simply because it...well, because it's a mackie :-P

your thoughts?

I personally love the shit out of my M-Audio BX8s. I bet you can find a reseller that has them for about 350. I know BGC has some BX8as and a few other people do as well and love them from what I've heard them talk about.

But if you really want to go between Mackie and KRK I would definitely go with the Mackie's. I'm not the biggest fan of KRKs, they seem to really go for style over substance (addition of the yellow really does make them stand out) and don't seem to use as high of quality materials as the same range of competitor's monitors.

i'll second that about KRK - they used to use really nice focal drivers but for the past several years they've devolved into consumer-grade monitors up and down the line

pick up some mackies or m-audios in that price range and you'll be getting the best bang for your buck

1+ for the M-Audio BX8a from me. The 8 " bass drivers really makes them cover at least the low end you need for most music. They cut off at 40 Hz.

Talking about accuracy, I cannot really say I've had the chance to measure them, but everything I mix on them seem to sound good everywhere else as well, and that is kinda the meaning of studio monitors.

They're awesome, compared to their price.