Disney/Pixar's UP

XZero

Anyone see this yet?

Not going to post any spoilers, but my god the beginning is ridiculously depressing. Other than that, excellent movie. It had plenty of great references (dogs playing poker, for instance, plus an obvious Star Wars reference), and it was insanely beautiful. Clothing, wood, balloons ... everything was extremely detailed. I'm not sure I liked it as much as I did Wall-E or some of the other films from Pixar, but overall, UP was very satisfying. It was noticeably more adult than other Pixar films, and I think (though I may be wrong about this) it was the first Pixar film to ever actually have blood. Either way, great movie. Highly recommended.

UP... was noticeably more adult than other Pixar films...

I think so too... there were many allusions and mature concepts/themes presented that are beyond the minds (and interests) of the youngest audience. Growing old and death are two obvious ones.

It had 3D. I had to pay 3 dollars extra because my theater was only showing it in 3D... grumble...

Did you go see it in 3D? I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I saw it in 2D. Saved $9 ($3/person), and I really didn't want to sit there with 3D glasses on the whole time. If anyone sees it in 3D or has seen it in 3D, let me know how it was.

It was good in 3d, but it wasn't as prominent as it was in Monster Vs. Aliens, the backgrounds had more depth to them, because of the 3D, but overall, I'd say save your money, it's not worth paying extra to see it in 3D.

But the film itself was very good. Had a good premise, sad beginning, but was an enjoyable film overall. Dug and Kevin made it even better.

I saw it a second time in 3D and that was definitely not worth the extra money. 3D is still too gimmicky to spend the extra money on.

This movie is the reason why Pixar will continue to dominate CG animation. Their movies have heart and soul and characters who you care about. I enjoyed the adult themes in there. They did make me a bit teary eyed but that added to the overall character development. Overall a very sweet, charming and hilarious movie that must be seen.

However the short in the beginning is funny it's not as memorable as the other Pixar shorts.

It's not depressing. It's sad, but it's not depressing.

Agreed.

Pixar rarely disappoints. I enjoyed it though I liked Wall-E more. It is impressive how well they can create characters to which the viewer develops an emotional attachment. I only saw it in 2D because I didnt'see the point of seeing it in 3D.

I'd argue the beginning was more heart-felt than it was depressing. Yes, it tackles a lot of major themes, but I'd have to say that the way its handled makes it one of those really neat montages you see in a film (In a way, it kinda reminded me of the montage used at the beginning for the Watchmen film). At the very least, I took the girlfriend to see it and she really enjoyed the little bits that showed Carl and Ellie together. You know how couples get when they see the elderly being all sweet to one another =P.

On another note, anyone ever seen The Rescuers Down Under? Because in many ways, Up seems to have paid a few serious homages to that particular classic.

McCleach and the Giant Eagle=<spoiler>Muntz and Kevin</spoiler>.

Either way, the movie definitely ranks up there as one of pixar's best I think. I liked it more than WALL-E, and I felt it was less preachy too.

As an aside, I saw a trailer for Princess and the Frog but heard some saw a trailer for Toy Story 3? Fact?

It's not depressing. It's sad, but it's not depressing.

I thought it was depressing -_-;

But the rest of the movie made it less so, I guess.

As for Wall-E, watching it again in TV movie channels and watching Kung Fu Panda.... I'm actually thinking Kung Fu Panda really deserved the animation award it got over Wall-E that year. Wall-E was great, but its plot made NO SENSE. Way too convenient plot devices and robots being evil for no reason?... okay.

I thought it was depressing -_-;

But the rest of the movie made it less so, I guess.

As for Wall-E, watching it again in TV movie channels and watching Kung Fu Panda.... I'm actually thinking Kung Fu Panda really deserved the animation award it got over Wall-E that year. Wall-E was great, but its plot made NO SENSE. Way too convenient plot devices and robots being evil for no reason?... okay.

What robots being evil? You mean the ship's computer? He wasn't evil. He was following his programming/orders.

I wonder why the short isn't shown at every theater...

I thought this was a fun movie. Wall-E's still my favorite, but after such a borderline serious and surrealistic film like that it was nice to go for a comedy adventure.

Though that intro with Carl's entire life and Ellie passing, and it being implied that Russell has a pretty messed up family life...all set to a kind of bittersweet (But great) soundtrack were all pretty baawww worthy. It's got some undertones but that's why I love Pixar films. They're actually willing to have a kind of underlying dark thread like that even in a seemingly lighthearted comedy like this. It's what gives them broad appeal imo. Makes "both kids and adults can enjoy it" actually have meaning. Carl was one badass old man.

Alpha with that high pitched voice made me laugh more than it should've.

Alpha with that high pitched voice made me laugh more than it should've.

I wasn't expecting it the first time, so I just started laughing really hard. The lines were so over-the-top movie/anime villain stuff too, which was amazing.

As for the short, The Damned, I thought it was funny, if a bit generic. Nonetheless, I consider it part of the movie, and so I deem you officially cheated.