Disney/Pixar's UP

XZero

I loved it. The beginning is sad, and the last scene almost brought back the same kind of sadness (bittersweet kinda shot), but the rest of the film was great. Made me smile and laugh out loud more than most movies.

I saw it in 3D, I'm glad that it wasn't used as an excuse to throw things in people's faces every scene. Coraline's 3D was better, but this was pretty good.

The first 15 minutes, as well as the scene where he was looking through the scrapbook were pretty much the best Pixar moments I've ever seen. Coupled with the beautiful music, I was on the verge of tears a couple times in the movie. It was very melancholy for a Pixar movie, but it was executed so well. The animations and textures were flawless, as well.

But the rest of the movie did absolutely nothing for me. Most of the gags felt kind of stale compared to what I've come to expect from Pixar, and the storyline itself just didn't entertain me much.

The first 15 minutes of the movie were so great, it gave me the impression that the whole movie would be more of an introspective, quiet film that carried more of an emotional impact, and I ended up disappointed because of those expectations I set. There was a lot of merit to the movie, but it just made me realize how much I'd love it if Pixar would make an entire movie with the same mood and tone as the first 15 minutes of Up, crossed with the lighter-hearted, but still low-key and personal opening scenes of Wall-E.

Obviously it's an unrealistic thing to expect, but I'd still like to see Pixar expand on the themes they introduced in the opening scenes of this movie and carry out that mood in a full-length movie geared more towards adults.

I thought it was depressing -_-;

But the rest of the movie made it less so, I guess.

As for Wall-E, watching it again in TV movie channels and watching Kung Fu Panda.... I'm actually thinking Kung Fu Panda really deserved the animation award it got over Wall-E that year. Wall-E was great, but its plot made NO SENSE. Way too convenient plot devices and robots being evil for no reason?... okay.

Kung Fu Panda was a great movie. Smooth animation, funny & entertaining. The story though was very basic. The story kinda reminded me of Forbidden Kingdom. The chosen one learns Kun Fu in 3 days and saves the day, etc. etc.

Wall-E however has a much richer story with tons of emotion. On top of that it has very little dialogue. Animation wise it was more stunning. They really focused on depth perception and focus effects.

Dont get me wrong, i like Kung Fu Panda alot, but Wall-E def deserved Animation of the year.