OCR01099 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Tears for a Girl'

GrayLightning

djp:could you remove the url in my remixer profile since mp3.com is gone. thanks!

omg...Another new year, so it's time for a new Schala mix. ^_^

Freemind sent this in to djp around 8 months ago, since nothing has happened since then I asked Freemind if he'd be interested in a collaboration where I would remake/add stuff to this mix.

He sent me the reason file and I went to work to do some touch ups, adding new instrumentation, rerecording/remixing, reproducing it.

Chrono Trigger 'Tears for a Girl'

Mixers: Freemind and GrayLightning

hmm...seems to me you missed a few spots. with the polish, that is.

first of all, I think the flutes are too dry. They sound...not good. I'd say that i wasnt happy with the sample quality, but i really think the problem could be solved with some reverb.

another issue; there are some dynamic anomalies going on. the most noticeable of which are that sometimes the strings will jump in way louder than they ought to, and there are some moments where the strings release in an unnatural way, such as at 2:10.

the drums are wierd. it sounds like they could be flipped, like the groove should have started a beat earlier or something. i think the groove comes in at a bad time, because the same structure repeats just with the beat. it doesnt melt very well.

also the limbo at 3:30 is akward because the drums keep going. i say take out the drums here.

It's not up to GL's usual standard, i think it needs more work.

NO

Update

After a lengthy discussion with vigilante, it was clear that I could do some things to make this more presentable. My apologies for the trouble.

I agree with some of vigilante's criticisms. I've had two mixes now where a lot of people don't seem to like it when I use reason's flute for some reason. I've changed the flute sample and moved the orchestra behind the synth and guitars with a wetter reverb than before. I think this fixes some of vigilante's issues with the string attack and decay problems also. Fixed and added some other stuff.

Anyway, please download the new version if possible at the same link. My apologies for my error.

BEHIND THE IRON CURTAIN:

thegraylightning: have you heard my new mix on the panel? ^_~

Digital Coma B: not yet, but I already think "Tears of a Girl" is a better title

Digital Coma B: you see, here at OCR we like to rename remixes because we feel like it

thegraylightning: hmm

Digital Coma B: nothing personal

Digital Coma B: the guitar pitch bends seem to be in reverse

Digital Coma B: wait, was that a guitar?

Digital Coma B: it was some distorted thing

thegraylightning: in the middle of the mix it's a malstrom synth

thegraylightning: it just sounds like a guitar but it's not hehe

Digital Coma B: i'm hearing the guitar now

Digital Coma B: i see what vig was saying about some guitar notes lagging behind the drums

Digital Coma B: kinda neat though

Digital Coma B: your mixes seem to necessitate repeated listens

thegraylightning: that's why i get some bad reviews at vgmix :D

Digital Coma B: that glockenspiel note at 2:08 comes in early

thegraylightning: i did that to sort of mimic an orchestra

Digital Coma B: it does make a more narrative/epic sound

thegraylightning: but imo a real orchestra never plays perfectly in sync

Digital Coma B: the verse with the synth and the guitar with your bongos is memorable

Digital Coma B: the pitch bends on the maelstrom synth are really neat

Digital Coma B: yeah, I like this

So, YES

The real standout section for me was at around 3:48 when the synth guitar comes in- just a very effective and beautiful sound. And the rest of the mix sounds pretty solid- most of the aspects that I didn't agree with completely (like the woodwind trills in the beginning) seem more like stylistic rather than technical issues.

So yeah, this is an oft remixed piece, but I can't deny that this sounds pretty well done. It doesn't diverge wildly from the main theme, but there's enough variation to keep the mix sounding fresh.

YES

the trills in the beginning are a nice effect. flute sounds very full when it comes in around 1:30. the strings sound very full throughout the track, the voicings are muddy sometimes but not in a bothersome way.

yeah, 3:45ish is where this mix really feels good. the distorted guitar abstraction sounds a bit conspicuous at times in this section. overall this track feels like anime underscoring, what with the slow melodrama and fake yet pleasing instruments. of course i could be stretching my generalizations.

i haven't heard the first version of this so i can't comment on if this is better or not (hey, this ain't a wip board!)

yes

hmm...seems to me you missed a few spots. with the polish, that is.

first of all, I think the flutes are too dry. They sound...not good. I'd say that i wasnt happy with the sample quality, but i really think the problem could be solved with some reverb.

another issue; there are some dynamic anomalies going on. the most noticeable of which are that sometimes the strings will jump in way louder than they ought to, and there are some moments where the strings release in an unnatural way, such as at 2:10.

the drums are wierd. it sounds like they could be flipped, like the groove should have started a beat earlier or something. i think the groove comes in at a bad time, because the same structure repeats just with the beat. it doesnt melt very well.

also the limbo at 3:30 is akward because the drums keep going. i say take out the drums here.

It's not up to GL's usual standard, i think it needs more work.

NO

okay...flute is much better...

the dynamic glitches i heard have been exchanged for new ones...what the heck is going on between 1:40 and 1:47? the flute just drops for a second, and the strings are still dropping out like crazy. it sounds very synthetic.

no change to the drums. not bad, but still akward.

guitar is much better now that it is loud. but i dont like the pitch bending in its extremity.

ah! no more drums in the interlude around 3:45! excellent. tho i think it could have benefited from some reverb panning or delay or something at this point.

it's better this time around, although i still think it is sloppy in the first segment.

YES