Left 4 Dead 2 - now $6.80 on Steam!

The Damned

I got A LOT of mileage out of L4D with my buddies, so I'm really stoked, and will buy L4D2 at launch. Once or twice a week since last November me and my buddies meet up with our laptops and play L4D together.

I couldn't care less about boycotts and who is vowing not to buy the game. All I know is that me and my buddies are chomping at the bit for some new content. Want to boycott it? No worries! Just know that come November I sure as hell am going to be killing zombies in hazmat suits with a freakin' chainsaw in sunny New Orleans.

I got a lot of mileage out of L4D, and the SDK will add some custom levels and stuff. Come November though, I'm willing to pay 50 bucks for new official content. Easy as that. :)

Stoked.

I don't have time to read this whole thread right now, but I saw a bit, and I thought I'd shed a little light on the whole anger about L4D2 issue.

While arbitrarily expecting Valve to release free stuff for L4D just because they did for TF2 is pretty presumptuous, it is entirely within reason to expect them to do it if they said they would

I can look it up later, but there actually is an interview with Gabe Newell around the time of L4D's release stating that the game would be supported similarly to TF2. So many people bought the game, even in it's somewhat content limited initial form, based stronly on this promise.

Now, in recent times Gabe has responded that they plan to continue supporting L4D even after 2's release, but no one knows how that is going to work exactly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like good additions. The Spitter sounds like a quick, practical way to prevent turtling, especially in Versus Mode. I like how it produces a DoT effect rather than just being like a gun. It means shot placement is going to matter and you'll have to think ahead on your attacks. Moreover, I'm stopping to imagine just how awesome these things will be when you have a Smoker or a Hunter as a spotter for your long-range attack.

Between the changing events and trying to shake up the pace for the stages, Left 4 Dead 2 sounds like it'll be a blast. I'm just wondering about a few other specifics, like if you have limited ammo for your handguns now, forcing the use of melee weapons. And it sounds like you have a choice of carrying a health *or* ammo pack and either pain-pills *or* adrenaline. This could lead to some interesting changes to the core dynamic. From the sounds of it, they're probably going to make ammo concerns more of an issue for the survivors which I think is a good idea for the shotguns and the Hunting Rifle. The Assault Rifle and especially the Uzi already had some ammo issues, but... it sounds like there's more tradeoff in the gameplay now in terms of what utility you bring to the group, and that sounds pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

The original L4D is getting a new official campaign next month.

http://www.destructoid.com/left-4-dead-crash-course-announced-as-new-campaign-142454.phtml

This obviously means that Vale doesn't care about L4D2, because otherwise they wouldn't take resources away from its development just to continue supporting the last game. :<

I guarantee you, someone will bitch about it. And I bet a lot of them will be the boycotters.

• 1 month later...

Oh my, this thread certainly got... left for dead. :<

Any way, the boycotters just got a huge amount of wind blown out of their sails.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott/announcements/detail/90227062007438947

The top two bitchers and whiners were flown out, on Valve's dime, to try out the latest build for Left 4 Daed 2, and they liked it.

Yeah, they still have "individual concerns", but I suspect this is more "if we gush completely over it, everyone will think we're traitors to the cause!" than anything else.

So... take that, boycotters.

The L4D community by and large absolutely disgusts me. Seriously, I have never ever ever known another community of gamers to be so ridiculously whiny/bratty/self-entitled.

And while I don't bringing those too chumps to their HQ to test out the game, it kind of disgusts me in a way too. It's like, they were rewarded for leading this campaign of douche-baggery.

It's a good thing I'm not Gabe Newell. I'd keep tabs on every single person who was part of the Valve boycott and ban their Steam accounts. :? :? :?

Meanwhile, I have spent the last few months trying to figure out if I'm going to buy it on PC, XBOX 360, or not at all. Obviously, the OCR people here will be playing it on PC. My real-life friends and coworkers will be playing it on 360.

PC is $10 less expensive and will be more likely to receive future updates and patches.

But all my real-life friends and coworkers will keep talking about the 360 version and wanting me to play with them.

Also, $50-60 is a lot to pay for when Modern Warfare 2 comes out a week before.

BOOMER VOMIT!

Meanwhile, I have spent the last few months trying to figure out if I'm going to buy it on PC, XBOX 360, or not at all. Obviously, the OCR people here will be playing it on PC. My real-life friends and coworkers will be playing it on 360.

PC is $10 less expensive and will be more likely to receive future updates and patches.

But all my real-life friends and coworkers will keep talking about the 360 version and wanting me to play with them.

Also, $50-60 is a lot to pay for when Modern Warfare 2 comes out a week before.

BOOMER VOMIT!

PC = Custom Campaigns.