Left 4 Dead 2 - now $6.80 on Steam!

The Damned

Because that's just how some people are. Can't you just accept that and move on? :/

In order to accept it, I need to understand it. So I ask questions. I find out why people act this way instead of just nodding and smiling.

EDIT:

stop trolling youre really bad at i

Except I'm honestly not trolling. I do actually want to know why people make a big deal about things like this, in hopes of understanding why they do it.

I repeated my question once because nobody had really answered it. Then people said "We don't need them."

I then said "If you don't need them, why make such a big deal over something like this that you know you don't need?"

Someone who didn't post here said something about a sense of entitlement, which I kind of understand. Before achievements came along, when you did something cool or hard in a game, you just had yourself and your close friends to show off to. Which goes along with what Edge just said.

With the addition of achievements, having a low amount lowers your epeen, so you have to have them all.

Is this fairly spot on, or is there something else I'm not understanding?

Wow, some minor rage over a personal opinion about a game feature...

because it makes you feel good that you accomplished something challenging, especially if your friends are also trying to accomplish them too

no recognition for something that is supposed to get recognition (an achievement) is frustrating

Damn right. I earned those achievements by playing, be it with random people or trying to guide the idiot bots around. You try to get Gnome Chompski to the helicopter with three bots fucking everything up along the way. Oh, and once you die in single player, even if the other bots are still perfectly fine, you have to restart the level. It's easier to get it online, but you have to find some people that are willing to do it first, and then hope they remember you're trying to get it. I've had guys leave it behind on the last level because they simply forgot I as trying to get it.

So why do you need the achievement? Shouldn't just accomplishing the hard thing be enough?

Did you ever do something 'hard' in a game before this whole achievement bullshit came out and be proud of yourself for doing it? Hopefully the answer is yes, because you should be doing the same thing here. Be proud you did it, and don't make a big deal over the 'achievement' still being locked or reset or whatever.

It's the fact that I did do it, and I have to do it again and again, only to see the very accomplishment denied over and over.

It's like when you finish your job, only to come back the next morning and be told that they can't find all the paperwork you did, so better get at it again. But it happens four times in the last two weeks. Skipping the whole firing thing for a moment, wouldn't you feel kind of annoyed about that?

So if they're not needed, why do people make such a big deal over them? I mean, quite a few people are here in this thread raging because they're being reset.

If you do not need them, why are you getting mad? That's what I don't understand. you're making a big deal over things you admittedly do NOT need.

With the addition of achievements, having a low amount lowers your epeen, so you have to have them all.

Is this fairly spot on, or is there something else I'm not understanding?

Again, it's because I earned them by effort, time devoted, skill applied (and luck used up :<), only to have it arbitrarily negated.

Because that's just how some people are. Can't you just accept that and move on? :/

I don't know what you mean by "that's how some people are"... I'm not sitting at home all day stressing out over every last little thing about the game. I really hope you're not trying to lump me into some sort of group of some kind. See above comments for why I'm not happy with this issue.

People feel the need to have some kind of record of accomplishment I guess. Like people sending in high scores to Nintendo Power years ago. Achievements should never be a deal breaker for playing a game though. If that's the only reason you'd play it, go play an MMO so you can brag to your guild.

Again, for the last time (I swear), it's not bragging rights, it's that I've had my effort nulled and voided randomly by a faulty system. That's my problem with the game.

Some people just like a sense of completion of doing everything in a game. I have a friend who has almost all his games to 100% achievements/trophies, but doesn't make that big of a deal over it.

I'm not really one ofr 100% completion, but I do like to see what I can do on my own (or with group cooperation). I have a number of ones on L4D1 that I know I'm never going to get, and I'm not bothered by that at all. They're outside my ability or my patience to get, so whatever.

I don't know what you mean by "that's how some people are"... I'm not sitting at home all day stressing out over every last little thing about the game. I really hope you're not trying to lump me into some sort of group of some kind. See above comments for why I'm not happy with this issue.

Haha nah, I'm just saying that there are people that want something to show for their efforts and have every right to get mad when they get taken away for bullshit reasons.

Thanks for the actual answers folks. Just one more thing.

It's the fact that I did do it, and I have to do it again and again, only to see the very accomplishment denied over and over.

You aren't really denied it though. You did it. You know you did, and the people who you might have played with know you did. So at this point the 'achievement' being unlocked should be a moot point. Shouldn't knowing you did it overwrite whatever you feel about it getting reset?

(Also I think this is the first time people have actually discussed stuff with me instead of getting pissed off and angry because I ask questions. So a big thank you for that.)