Left 4 Dead 2 - now $6.80 on Steam!

The Damned

• 9 months later...

So I dug this thread up just to say, I think the Left 4 Dead series is pretty much... well, dead now. I really don't see any hope of it's solid resurrection either. I reinstalled it recently b/c of the Dead Air port, and NOBODY IS PLAYING IT, literally. I have NEVER seen a lobby, or in-progress game for it. All I see are mainly Dead Center and No Mercy. And while those were pretty awesome back when they were new, I just don't get why that's still teh ONLY maps 98% of the people still playing L4D2 (which isn't many) play.

It makes me sad. The series had so much potential for official expansion, and I even would have happily payed for new DLC, but then when they release new content, people bitch about it and then don't play it ever, and continue to run the game into the ground.

L4D/L4D2, I salute you and thank you for some good times, but it looks like it's the perma-uninstall for you, I'm afraid.

/plays Taps

So I dug this thread up just to say, I think the Left 4 Dead series is pretty much... well, dead now. I really don't see any hope of it's solid resurrection either. I reinstalled it recently b/c of the Dead Air port, and NOBODY IS PLAYING IT, literally. I have NEVER seen a lobby, or in-progress game for it. All I see are mainly Dead Center and No Mercy. And while those were pretty awesome back when they were new, I just don't get why that's still teh ONLY maps 98% of the people still playing L4D2 (which isn't many) play.

It makes me sad. The series had so much potential for official expansion, and I even would have happily payed for new DLC, but then when they release new content, people bitch about it and then don't play it ever, and continue to run the game into the ground.

L4D/L4D2, I salute you and thank you for some good times, but it looks like it's the perma-uninstall for you, I'm afraid.

/plays Taps

I'll be honest, I got tired of L4D2 quite quickly after it came out. The only reason I had it installed on my (RIP 2011/07/29) desktop recently was 1. For the Summer Camp achievement. 2. To do some testing on a server mod I'm writing for TF2, L4D, and L4D2.

It likely doesn't help that Killing Floor goes on sale all the time, and I consider it a better game than L4D2.

Oh, and speaking of TF2 earlier... it's free now. Feel free to join us on the OCR TF2 servers.

We've been playing Dead Air on Expert with Realism on (three levels in, stupid construction site level). Before this, we've only really played Versus, which altho fun gets old. Playing to not shoot your friends, really having to run from tanks and strategize about the witch makes the game so much more about co-op and gives the game a lot of new life.

I should mention that I'm still upset with Valve over their lack of release of the rumored Infected mode... where you play as Infected (like Versus) versus a team of all bots.

Seriously, playing as infected was my favorite part of L4D/L4D2. I just hated having to switch back to playing Survivors every other round.

If that was a real thing where you played as infecteds during the campaign... that would be amazing.

If they went a step further and made it so people could play the infecteds during the actual campaign online, and just hop into a random infected, that would be epic. Not in silly Versus mode.. i was never too fond of versus mode

If that was a real thing where you played as infecteds during the campaign... that would be amazing.

If they went a step further and made it so people could play the infecteds during the actual campaign online, and just hop into a random infected, that would be epic. Not in silly Versus mode.. i was never too fond of versus mode

There was some talk about exactly that happening around a year ago. I thought someone said some of the files in the game pointed to it as an upcoming mutation.

Of course, it never happened.

There was some talk about exactly that happening around a year ago. I thought someone said some of the files in the game pointed to it as an upcoming mutation.

Of course, it never happened.

They're working on Half Life 2: Episode 3.... :lmassoff:

In regards to newbies, I remember playing the Beta of the first game on XBOX Live, and people playing it like was Halo Multi-player.:roll:

As someone that still plays L4D2 (and occasionally 1) on a semi-regular basis, you have to get the good fan-made maps. They really do add a lot to the game.

A current favorite is "Let's Built a Rocket", where you have a small enclosure, with a building that spawns zombies at the other end. You can "build" fences and barriers, as well as a rocket, piece by piece, simply by holding your use button in select spots. This, however, takes time.

To make things easier, you can place barriers that can slow down the hordes of zombies. You also can take a few seconds to look at the console behind you, and unlock and grab items and weapons.

If you do it right, you can get medkits, laser sights and any of your favorite weapons pretty quick, but only if your team is able to properly cover the player(s) that are building defenses or unlocking guns from the console.

Since it's such a small area, you have to be on your toes when Special Infected and Tanks show up. They can only come from one direction, but when they do, there are a lot of them.

I've only managed to successfully complete a game of Let's Built A Rocket on Advanced once, and it was mostly because our team was constantly dropping out and getting players over the course. We finally managed to get a team hat could work together and we made.

I'd recommend your first try at it on Easy, as it's not as simple as it sounds. Building your first line of defense takes 10 seconds per part, and each rocket section is 20 seconds. Unlocking and acquiring enough weapons and supplies to fend the zombies off until the rocket is done will also take a lot of time.

But really, it's the custom maps and some of the newer fan-made mods that are making the game worth playing right now. Kind of like StarCraft 2 and the mods it's running.