Left 4 Dead 2 - now $6.80 on Steam!

The Damned

K this game is crazy fun - soooo much better than the first!

ditto. had some crazy fun, looking forward to more!

*edit*

though honestly, we should sue valve, because I was in no way prepared to have that much fun, and I feel that I need to be compensated for the extra endorphins that my brain had to consume.

Wow. I heard they had tweaked the Special Infected AI, and they weren't lying. We had a few rounds where Smokers where pulling people into the Spitter's acid, Hunters where waiting for the Charger to attack first... I saw the fucking Hunter sitting there, doing nothing, and then BAM! Charger hits, Hunter pounces. Then we had Spitters and Boomers double teaming us.

It's like playing against a moderately good Infected team in Versus.

Also, the Magnum is my new default weapon of choice. Fuck the frying pan, I want a Magnum at all times. AK-47 is nice, but that Magnum... (insert swooning face thing here)

Wow. I heard they had tweaked the Special Infected AI, and they weren't lying. We had a few rounds where Smokers where pulling people into the Spitter's acid, Hunters where waiting for the Charger to attack first... I saw the fucking Hunter sitting there, doing nothing, and then BAM! Charger hits, Hunter pounces. Then we had Spitters and Boomers double teaming us.

Our group also noticed a significant improvement to the enemy AI -- Advanced is a challenge now, whereas in L4D1 anything but Expert was a complete joke that we could basically waltz through.

I didn't notice a magnum or super-pistol of any kind. Will look tomorrow :P

Oh, and any of you who are undecided about this, decide to get it fast -- it's going to be a TON better than the original...which was basically multiplayer game of the year last year.

Also, the Magnum is my new default weapon of choice. Fuck the frying pan, I want a Magnum at all times.

Amazing tweaks with the AI!

This and this. Magnum is amazing. And the AI was totally crushing us. You know how we'd make it through the L4D1 demo on expert repeatedly?

This time, you get taken on hardcore.

Most nasty thing I saw from the AI so far on my side was the Spitter spitting ALL OVER a downed teammate immediately after zombies incapacitated them. That was messed up.

Also in the first game I played, I was playing with Bleck and within one of the start, a Charger came out and charged him and Rochelle (controlled by AI) right off into the water... Charger included. Me and the other guy looked around frantically until *bwoop* saw the dead Charger's body surface from the water. All three of them drowned. I laughed for like a whole 20 minutes.

The positive reviews for the demo are good news to me. I haven't pre-ordered it (damn lack of cash) but I've been wanting to know how it handles. Sounds like it's been really good. You've mentioned the AI for the specials is improved, but have the tweaks to the Director proper been noticeable too?

the AI director is just a very very complex RNG. if you dump the cvar list from L4D1, nearly everything feeds the system data or grabs from it in some form or another. That said, there really isn't enough room in the ~1.5 sections to see much improvement, BUT spitters LOVE coming out of the woodwork during a boomer attract mob, so there is evidence that some of the changes are for the better.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned how much more optimized the game is now, by the way. Runs smooth at my desktop resolution (1280x1024) on my lower-end video card, while i had to drop down to 1024x768 for the same frames on l4d1... which only really continues to enforce my idea that l4d1 was basically the l4d2 beta.

I only got to play for 10 minutes last night but god damn what a great 10 minutes. I spent about 5 of it just running around frying panning zombies then dismembering them with the chrome shotgun. But yes the special infected AI is awesome, and I love the additions they made with zombie body armor and such. That damn Jockey is a bitch.

Anyone else find the motions in the demo kind of... off?

I mean, shooting seemed weird. It felt like the recoil was sort of... soft? Like, it seemed to float a bit more.

Walking felt slightly odd, almost unresponsive compared to L4D1. It was like I had my mouse sensitivity down, but when I checked, it was the same as what I was using for L4D1. In fact, all my system settings for L4D1 were automatically carried over to the demo. Res, AA, everything.

I have to find some settings that will emulate the feeling of motion in the first game. It's very weird going from the first to the demo, and I really think it fucked me up a lot like night while playing.

Also, the weapons are random at start as well instead of just shotgun and SMG. And sometimes there's melee weapons as well. Plus the infinite horde events is a lot of fun (really hard though!) We had some problems with that just because we didn't know exactly what we were supposed to do once we got to the end of it. We pushed the button, but the zombies still keep coming for a couple minutes, and we had no idea what to do.

Also, all the added things like the defib, the adrenalyne, the boomer bile, all that stuff is awesome too. Supposedly the AI director will also change the weather as well as randomly generate certain areas of the game as well I've read. Didn't really get to see any of that in the demo, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also, the walking witch is pretty tough to avoid sometimes.

I'm trying to think of things that they are inevitably going to have to change/address once the masses start whining, or people find ways to take advantage or certain exploits/glitches. Let's start a list of predictions.

Let's start with wagering which new things are likely to get nerfed come the first update.

Weapons: My guess is the AK47 just because it's probably my favorite weapon so far.

Special Infected: hard to say, but I'm guessing it'll be the charger, just because I think that's the one that's going to be the most effective at really screwing up a team in vs.

Anyone else want to share your theories?

People will RAGE when they try closet camping and get a spitter. There's no campy spot in the demo...but the rage will happen.

Charger will probably be the first one nerfed though, as he has quite a bit of HP currently -- what advantage does a hunter have over a charger currently, if any?

Sniper rifle is still very underwhelming, but I've only gotten the "old" one, not any of the new scoped guns, so I'll reserve judgment...for now.

Finally, the sword / machete seems much MUCH better than all of the other melee weapons, and they need to be balanced out.

Sword/Machette is good because it's thin and it's damage path is narrow and... sharp. Guitar/frying pan, while fun the first few times, just lacks... staying power.

The Magnum is fairly balanced, for only having single-wield and 8 shots. The alternate shotguns are just like auto-shotty from L4D1.

If anything at all, personally I think valve will modifiy the spitter - she's too quiet. She can seriously hit you hard before you even know she's there. Much more stealthy than any of the other infected - you can hear the jockey from a mile away.

Sniper rifle is still very underwhelming, but I've only gotten the "old" one, not any of the new scoped guns, so I'll reserve judgment...for now.

Wait until you get the military sniper rifle that hold 30 rounds before you have to reload. That thing is wicked.

Also, I enjoyed the demo but just now I have a new found respect for the game. I shot a zombie that was in a full sprint in the stomach and its intestines spilled out and strung along behind it as it died. Coolest/Most hilarious thing I've seen in a while.

Oh, also if you type "upgrade_add" in the console and then one of the three options it gives you after, you can add laser sights to your guns, incendiary ammo, or explosive ammo. Interesting how it works. The Laser Sight really sharpens your accuracy and just looks plain cool.

Oh, also if you type "upgrade_add" in the console and then one of the three options it gives you after, you can add laser sights to your guns, incendiary ammo, or explosive ammo. Interesting how it works. The Laser Sight really sharpens your accuracy and just looks plain cool.

Damn, looks like there are all sorts of cool tricks waiting for us in a few weeks!