Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Docks ReMix

Robotaki

Hey!

This time it's Dire Dire Docks from SM64; another overmixed tune but I hope my harmonies can push enough for the interpretive side of things. This sample starts somewhere near the beginning of the track but not at the exact beginning. Samples used are all soundfonts and FL oscillators, one shot wavs, or loops made from previous project.

The violin and guitar samples really need to be replaced but they're the best I have at the moment. Would anyone like to contribute a recording of some sort? The weakness of my samples really shows in the beginning section before the breakdown begins. Over it all though, I feel like there's something missing. (a strong sample on the melody?) I can't pinpoint it...listened to it too many times. Production gets muddy at times but I don't think that's it.

Dire Dire Docks ReMix - Super Mario 64

EDIT:

Oh well, I guess I'll use this thread to thank everyone active in OCR for helping me with music in all regards. Right now I'm in this odd period of reflection passing between high school and university and I realize how important this community has been on me. When my older brother first went, "Hey check this wicked site out, there's a bunch of remakes of ___(list goes on and on)___ 4 years ago, I always wanted to contribute something. Starting from knowing piano and violin, and nothing about electronically produced music, I'm glad to say I've improved and can be an active member here now and plan to be that way for a long long time. Haha, I still remember my very first Secret of Evermore mix of the Boss Theme using solely FL Presets. I was so nervous to post it to these boards at first. Ah, look this thread became a diary.

Anyway, take a listen and see what comes up. Hope you enjoy it!

Brilliant start, as always. The song progresses beautifully and I really like the way the drums build up in particular.

This reminds me of djp's Sunken Suite but with more personality and overall production/arrangement quality. I don't really have any particular feedback on how to improve, but I think you're on the right track with this.

I can't wait to see your work get submitted and published, you're an AMAZING remixer and you deserve to be recognized for it! :)

Gosh, you'd think I'd be sick of Dire Dire Docks mixes by now, but this is honestly the first one I've heard that felt really, really fresh. My playlist currently holds a guitar+drums MIDI mix from VGMusic. I might finally replace that bad boy with this wonderful version.

Fantastic. It's super inspiring and delightful to hear. Thank you for a truly brilliant mix.

• 3 months later...

Hey! Thanks for the comments guys :)

So I'm at university and I've had barely any time to work on things, but I realized I had an unposted update of this track. The link in the first post is updated now. I remember working on percussion and overall production since the last post.

Listening to it again after some time, I believe 2:16 would be a perfect time to introduce some twist on the original melody. Oh and, easter egg sampling in the end section :P See if anyone recognizes what was sampled haha.

The ending will NOT be a gong in the final version!

(Noted, I really want to work on that Metroid, Glaciers Never Sleep remix. and that Okami one. and Chrono's Theme. Manoria's Cathedral. Dome 16. :S What a goddamn mess...so little time)

Hey! Thanks for the comments guys :)

So I'm at university and I've had barely any time to work on things, but I realized I had an unposted update of this track. The link in the first post is updated now. I remember working on percussion and overall production since the last post.

Listening to it again after some time, I believe 2:16 would be a perfect time to introduce some twist on the original melody. Oh and, easter egg sampling in the end section :P See if anyone recognizes what was sampled haha.

The ending will NOT be a gong in the final version!

(Noted, I really want to work on that Metroid, Glaciers Never Sleep remix. and that Okami one. and Chrono's Theme. Manoria's Cathedral. Dome 16. :S What a goddamn mess...so little time)

Yeah, I know what you mean, dude. I'm taking 17 credits this semester, and I've barely had any time for anything else

And lovin the latest version. Can't wait for this one to be finished

I love this source.

Here-a-We Go!

THE GOOD:

:03 - Yay! Horns! Though I would consider adding a second horn part in harmony to that to fill the arrangement a little. I do hear something that may be harmony, but I can't tell if that is or if it is just part of the syncopated chords you have in the back. If it is harmony, bring it out more.

:18 I really like the texture you created here. Great percussion!

:33 I love the arrangement here

1:03 The transition between the orchestral and electronic sounds is nicely done and isn't a sudden thing.

2:02 I really like how the pizz strings and the 8-bit sound work together here. Nice touch.

THE BAD:

:18 Decrescendo into this and bring it down two dynamic levels. This will allow you to crescendo with the cymbal roll into :33. Make sure the percussion is further back, though. It's like butter on toast. It adds great flavor, but too much makes it nasty.

:33 Back the drum kit off a little, especially the bass drum.

:33 The Oboe/Violin part sticks out. Back it into the ensemble sound

1:03 The cymbal roll leading into this breaks too loud. Be careful with it and make sure that when it breaks it isn't overpowering what else is going on.

1:03-1:33 There isn't much happening melodically here. It isn't too bad, but just be aware that this piece has been very melodic thus far and then all of the sudden there is no melody for 30 seconds. I did think I heard some moving strings in there somewhere, you may consider bringing that part out more.

2:45 This effect does not work. AT ALL. This is the only major flaw that jumped out at me. I am loving the sense of direction this piece is having and then BAM! At 2:45 it runs into a brick wall. In fact I am not even sure if it is intentional. I do know it happens twice. Remove it.

3:19 This trill is too heavy. Try a more legato sound for it and back it off a little.

OVERALL:

I am not a huge fan of electronic stuff. To me the vast vast majority of it sounds way too repetitive and circular. But every once in a while I come across an electronic piece that I really like, and this is one of them.

Overall the arrangement is well-developed, though towards the end it gets a tad bit repetitive, but not too bad. The main issues I have with it are the performance of the orchestral part and some balance issues. Performance stuff if you will. Only one major flaw, the rest is nit-picky stuff.

Only one thing jumped out as a major flaw, and that was the sudden decrease in volume at 2:45. Music is like a road, it needs to go somewhere. You were going somewhere, and then this happened. This didn't fit the style you had set forth up to this point, and it ended up being a huge pothole in the road. This was a bad enough shake-up of my musical nerves that if I were a Judge, I would vote NO over it (though the rest of the piece is a clear YES).

Make sure the melody is always audible, but not sticking out, and back off of things that are old news, IE repetitive basslines, long notes, and bring out new stuff a little.

Maybe back your drums off a little. It would help the piece sound a little less muddy and add clarity the other parts.

Awesome work. It takes a lot to impress me with an electroinc piece.

Wow DZ, thanks so much for your input on my remix, that's awesome. In the midst of all this work, what I need is a clear-cut "fix this" and "leave that," and that's exactly what you've given me. :) I will remove that wretched 2:45 stutter because I do agree that it breaks the flow of the piece entirely. I'll get on to it asap! This source is lovely so I'd do anything to make a remix of it better.