Jazz Metal. (and J-rock)

TheKrow

Well, recently I was able to purchase a single from a favorite Japanese band of mine, and I found an interesting little B-side. Hell, I actually think B-sides almost always tend to sound better than the single they're on.

This song is no exception. An awesome combination of some metal and jazz with many instrumental elements, including whistling. It won my heart right away, and I was wondering if anyone else perhaps knows of anything similar?

Here's the song:

D - Mad Tea Party

this was actually not that bad until somebody started singing

You must have become too used to OCR.

And thanks, some of these songs sound pretty kick-ass, but I prefer I singer not a screamer, sorry. I sorta like Gordian Knot and Cynic, but it's uh... I guess I'm expecting more instrumental awesomeness like the bright piano or mute trumpet in Mad Tea Party. The extreme uniqueness is one reason I tend to favor Japanese music over American / British.

Alarum -

(Mixture of harsh and clean vocals, though not much in the way of instrumentation variation)

Unexpect -

(Mixture of harsh male and clean female vocals. More instrumentation variation such as horns, violin and keyboards)

Dog Fashion Disco - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQFMY9cyzGo (Not exactly jazz, but they definitely have a unique sound, similar to Mr. Bungle)

Sigh -

(You might want to check them out. Not exactly jazz metal but they are extremely varied. This song will sound completely different from many of their other songs. I'm not a big fan of them but maybe you'll like them)

If you're interested in music with other instruments, especially metal then check out the sub-genre folk metal. The genre generally fuses thrash/death metal with folk instruments, songs and melodies. Often the bands will sing in their native tongue as well. Though there is a fair amount of harsh vocals, some use them exclusively and others mix harsh with clean vocals. Vintersorg is one of my favorites in that genre.