OCR01097 - Final Fantasy VI "Umaro Uematsu"

djpretzel

A nice lo-fi mix to open up 2004! For some reason it reminds me of live recordings of op ivy. Prolly the ska influence. I've always been a fan of Quinn's style, and this mix really lives up to my expectations. It's fun, frantic, and is arranged extremely well.

oh..and save yourself the trouble djp...I believe people watch JAG to lust over Catherine Bell.

*hot*

I have to play FF6 me thinks.

The drums are what I love in this, they're so creative and clear. Great for the mix. Especially the snare.

But the melody is nice, very happy. I think it's great. It'll be one I listen to a lot.

I can't tell any velocity issues, sounds fine to me, but then I have things turned down as others are sleeping in my residence.

Ends too abruptly for me, that's my problem.

Otherwise great work.

good mix, bad volume controls... constant hum.. or is that me and my cold sleep deprived body? maybe... but good stuff none the less... and remember always throw Sabin... his hair is spikey and does extra damage?... maybe. 8/10 final score... keep up the good work quinn. and yes... Catherine Bell is a hotty... I want her... *drools* 10/10 on her.

I think Nobuo Umaro would've been a better name.

Phoebe: "...and guess what we're gonna call it?"

Rachel: "Relaxi Taxi!"

Phoebe: "Uh! The name was the best part!"

Rachel: "I came up with it!"

Phoebe: "YOU DID NOT!"

Rachel: "Huh?"

Phoebe: "No, you came up with Relaxi CAB... that's no good!"

Rachel: "First of all, it's not Relaxi CAB... it's Relaxi Cab. Like Taxi Cab."

Phoebe: "Oh. That IS better."

I like the comparison someone made to a mad scientist's theme in a cartoon btw :P

• 1 month later...

This just keeps on changing like a mofo, and pretty much every single thing people said negative I think added to the piece...I guess it's just my style. Sounds like a child's song? I don't think of playing with cheap toys when playing this song...I feel like turning into a giant ape and rummaging through some rich family's mansion. Sure the event I just described could be made cartoony like one of those silent black and white ones, but who said cartoons had to be for children? Sure the cartoon I am describing could be drawn like one, but that doesn't mean it can't have some violence! I WANT TO SMASH THAT RICH GUY AND HIS STUPID FAMILY! THIS POST MAKES NO SENSE SINCE I AM LISTENING TO THIS SONG AT THE SAME TIME TOO AND I AM EXPRESSING MY RAGE AS AN APE WHAAAAARRR!!!!

Oh wait, I was listening to Gitaroo Man - Resurrection.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I´m divided. Should I love this remix because of the funny redo of Umaro, a dumb person that don´t know how to shave, with some nice instruments that drove out some real insaneness? Or should I not because of the fact that it sounded to overdone with maybe too much instruments, some of them that weren´t the best choice?

Still, I´m surprised that Quinn came back. I thought he would dedicate the rest of his remixes to Phantasy Star?

• 2 years later...

Pretty awesome arrangement, but waaaay too much reverb.

Samples are decidedly lofi, but great drum programming, the beats are great, and there is a ton of stuff going on.

I love the constant shifts in the sections to keep this moving along at a pretty frantic pace, and with improved samples and production, this really could be a gem. The hard hitting and heavily syncopated sections are awesome, and really good rocking.

Brilliant arrangement, bleh production. Still good enough for listening. Check this one out. :-)

• 1 year later...

Holy crap! Quinn Fox steps out of his bubble and does something completely new! Regardless of the sound, kudos for trying something different. Interesting idea with the quick fade in at the beginning. Even though that's unconventional, it didn't feel awkward to me. The high of the track is what holds this mix back so much. It just doesn't feel/sound like it breathes at all. The arrangement is were it's at. The constant shifts and dynamic changes keeps this bad boy fresh. The guitars could have had a lot more meat behind them since this really is a metal track. The bass has a great crunchy rock sound to it. Very nicely done there. Not the best I've heard from Quinn, but again, it's awesome to hear him trying something very new.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how I'm feeling about this one. I see what Quinn is going for with almost a mazedude-like quirkiness to it. I think this suffers in the production realm, however, with a lot of residual noise and big balance issues. When things pick up it's a bit fatiguing on the ears. I can appreciate a good attempt at something this ambitious, I just thing the execution needs some work to make me want to keep this one on my playlist.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01097 - Final Fantasy VI "Umaro Uematsu"