Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailers

Azure Prower

Hooray. An MMO. Just what the series needed, BioWare. We don't need you to tie up the storyline of your first two Star Wars games or anything, no sir. The resolution there was perfectly satisfactory. I certainly wouldn't much rather see KOTOR III at all.

I AM PERFECTLY CONTENT WITH THIS STATE OF AFFAIRS.

Seriously, though. Cool trailer, but it's wasted on yet another goddamned MMORPG. Should have ended with Revan appearing and murdering everything. And the message "Your saga does not begin online."

Just because it takes place 300 years later doesn't mean you won't see a continuation of the story. Hell, Star Wars: Vector was a storyline that spanned 4000 years.

BioWare is really pushing STORY as a major part of The Old Republic, moreso than any other MMO. Plus the entire game is going to be voiced.

If you're really interested in KOTOR's storyline, pick up the comic. Sure it's a 4-5 years-before-prequel, but they've been dropping a lot of stuff about Malak and Revan lately.

even my wife, who hates action and violence in any kind in movies and games, thought that this was awesome.

i've had two people contact me specifically about getting a star-wars-themed customized computer when it comes out :< i admit, i'm nearing that level fanboyism at the moment. i LOVE star wars, although i don't know as much about the comics as i'd like to.

edit: i downloaded the .mov version on some website, and it's quite laggy because of the nature of the .mov codec. anyone got an .avi, .mkv, or .wmv version? i want to watch it without all the crappy streaming artifacts everywhere.

Prior to the institution of the Rule of Two, the Sith went through an era where they modeled themselves as a dark reflection of the Jedi Order. It makes sense that they'd all dress the same; the Jedi were not known for individualistic fashion. If all the Jedi had their hoods up, they'd all look like clones too. :P

There's nothing to really suggest that the Sith are clones. The Clone Army is really a Clone Wars plot point more than anything else, and this game takes place about 3700 years before the movies.

Plus this is an MMO where you'll be able to play as a Sith. If they're all clones, well then what's the point of character customization? xD

Don't read too much into the design of the dropships.

In the KOTOR II: Sith Lords

That one major capital ship looked like an imperial star destroyer.

There's so many ships in star wars now, there are bound to be design similarities now.

I'm just amazed the Jedi temple looks exactly the same in the movies, even after it has been destroyed to pieces in that game trailer.

I'm an immense fan of the original KOTOR and even KOTOR 2 (minus the ending that LA forced out of Obsidian). I was pissed as hell when I learned that the next KOTOR game was going to be an MMO over KOTOR 3, however Bioware is doing something that I myself hoped to have been a part of creating in the future, which is an MMO with an intense solo play focus. Basically based on what I've learned ToR is going to throw you and an eventual companion character into multiple instanced zones where it's almost like you're playing another KOTOR game. Then there will be zones such as a battle on a ship where you will have to work with other people who will be made up of different classes, maybe locked in a different cell location. You will then have to combine your unique abilities to escape or take over the ship etc.

If I'm catching what ToR is truly going to be like it is indeed going to be a continuation of the amazing single player experience from KOTOR but with a massive multiplayer element as well. That's why many of the dev's have been stating that ToR is really KOTOR III, IV, V, VI, VII and so forth. Granted anyone can hype up their game (look at Warhammer Online)... but Bioware has a proven history and I am aware of multiple individuals who are working on the game that will ensure that it's at the utmost quality. So I'm excited about getting the game, so long as I don't have to play it every damn day to accomplish my goals like I did in college when I played WoW. Anyhow, this game is going to be the new WoW as I see WoW getting it's ass kicked not only due to this being a new and stellar looking game, but due to the fact that many people involved with PvE don't really care about seeing what will be made up after Arthas is dead and the Warcraft III storyline is complete. (that's why Blizz is currently working on a StarCraft MMO or a sequel to WoW tho I'd bet on the prior).

I've rambled a bit but I hope I made sense ;)!

Nice Trailer. Star wars really needs more over the top action. Ever since the Clone Wars cartoon, nothing really hit that raised bar of awesomeness again.

Hopefully the PVP will be paced well and let any class compete on a reasonably equal plane. I'd really hate to see Jedi/Sith owning everything just because they can use the force. That works for the movies and what not, but not for a game. Fortunately, I think the time frame of KOTOR lends itself to balance better because people in that era understood Jedi combat a bit more and actually developed tech that could counter Lightsabers etc.

Here's hoping this MMO isn't another clone... (Sorry, I had to...)

EDIT: and is it just me, or did the narrator bear a striking resemblance to Malak?