Metroid: Other M

every cutscene that is just characters talking is short, efficient, and even mostly well acted

all of the cutscenes with samus' monologues are long, boring and shitty

I really hope in subsequent playthroughs that you can skip them

You can skip them, or even watch Metroid: Other M: The Movie!

Seriously, you get an option to watch all the cutscenes strung together(With some developer gameplay) into a 2 HOUR MOVIE.

every cutscene that is just characters talking is short, efficient, and even mostly well acted

all of the cutscenes with samus' monologues are long, boring and shitty

I really hope in subsequent playthroughs that you can skip them

about as expected, the biggest problem with it seemed to be that they took a massive dump on what samus' character was presumed to be

going to either rent or buy this used soon, don't want to encourage nintendo with new game sales on this

about as expected, the biggest problem with it seemed to be that they took a massive dump on what samus' character was presumed to be

going to either rent or buy this used soon, don't want to encourage nintendo with new game sales on this

Well now this doesn't make much sense. Everyone always complains that Nintendo never does anything new or never takes any risks, and so once they actually do, everyone complains and won't buy it? If this was always Sakamoto's vision of who Samus was, who are we to say otherwise? Besides, pre-Metroid 2 she was much more hardened. There wasn't a whole lot that she cared about, but once she found that baby metroid, she suddenly had maternal instincts and something she cared about. It was killed right in front of her eyes. I think that that would make anyone emotionally confused and unstable, especially when you encounter the beast that killed your parents after you thought you finally destroyed him.

Also, Hard mode is HARD. No energy tanks or missile tanks. The game was pretty challenging already, but WOW.

Oh boo, it's as fun as fuck.

I think I'm in the end game now, cuz I got the Screw Attack and the Gravity suit, and they ALWAYS save the former for end-game ass-kickery.

MAJOR SPOILERS

I'm a little disappointed I didn't get to go to Sector 0 and fight MB and the no-freeze Metroids... Man, why cock-tease us like that, Sakamoto? Don't build up a confrontation with a reborn Mother Brain just to be like WOOPS NO LOL

EDIT:

Whoa, THAT'S hard mode?

You know, Cave Story did that and it was as annoying as fuck. Hopefully it wouldn't be the case here.......

Oh and Bleck in subsequent playthroughs you can skip cutscenes.

it's not really what they did so much as how they did it
A risk is only beneficial when it pays off.

These criticisms makes no sense. By definition, a risk doesn't always pay off. That's why it's called a risk. Just about any good invention - ever - was preceded by failures. Failure is part of innovation and entrepreneurship. It's actually insulting to say that a company not known for taking risks with its franchises at all (instead playing it safe at every opportunity) doesn't deserve any credit for taking one just because YOU didn't like how it turned out. Again, by definition, if they didn't take the risk there would be 0% chance of a payoff.

When companies are punished for risk-taking, innovation stagnates. Why do you think there are so many homogenuous FPS games on PC and next-gen consoles? It's because the punishment that gamers levy for taking risks is too high. They bitch, they whine, they don't give credit to companies for at least trying. So developers stop trying, and what you get is sequels, brown, and space marines. Don't like that result? Too bad. It's your own dumb fault for having the attitude that you have here. Even Yahtzee, the most cynical, bitter game reviewer I can think of that rips almost 100% of new games to shreds will still praise any developer who does something outside the norm... even when the result sucks.

These criticisms makes no sense. By definition, a risk doesn't always pay off. That's why it's called a risk. Just about any good invention - ever - was preceded by failures. Failure is part of innovation and entrepreneurship. It's actually insulting to say that a company not known for taking risks with its franchises at all (instead playing it safe at every opportunity) doesn't deserve any credit for taking one just because YOU didn't like how it turned out. Again, by definition, if they didn't take the risk there would be 0% chance of a payoff.

When companies are punished for risk-taking, innovation stagnates. Why do you think there are so many homogenuous FPS games on PC and next-gen consoles? It's because the punishment that gamers levy for taking risks is too high. They bitch, they whine, they don't give credit to companies for at least trying. So developers stop trying, and what you get is sequels, brown, and space marines. Don't like that result? Too bad. It's your own dumb fault for having the attitude that you have here. Even Yahtzee, the most cynical, bitter game reviewer I can think of that rips almost 100% of new games to shreds will still praise any developer who does something outside the norm... even when the result sucks.

QFT. Nintendo is trying something NEW, people! A game with lots of FULLY VOICED CUT SCENES! It's a brave new world for the big N, and if we want them to continue down this road (Which means they'll also get better at it), then they need support. Besides, no one ever gets anything right the first time. Retro Studios was very lucky, but remember that Miyamoto pretty much scrapped their entire alpha version.

Again? It's supposed to be awkward and sound fake and dumb. It was like that in the Japanese version too.

Yuna's voice in general was pretty awkward in FFX, though. But that was more because her voice actor was trying to match Yuna's lip movements... which didn't always fit so well in Japanese, either.

People will bitch about anything. It's like when I'm at work. People will gripe because they are cut early in the day, and they will gripe if they are kept late and make extra money. They will bitch either way. But there's something I want to say besides that - there's an easy way to tell whether a game is good or not -

If you find yourself wanting to play it all the time, or if you dislike turning the game off and going to bed - that means that it is a good game. And that's what this game has done to me. Sexism, cheesy cut scenes and all. So far it's good stuff.

I really feel that Samus was only 'out-of-character' in one scene (by Sector 0.... UGH why did they cocktease us with that!!?!?).

But really, she's not 'our' character, she's Sakamoto's (and Yokoi's) brainchild. Which means there was never any real Samus outside of how Sakamoto saw her, in a sense. That doesn't make that one scene any better, but I think there's less reason to complain than what's actually applicable.

I just beat the game (the not-real ending), and tomorrow, I plan on finishing the fight, so to speak.

I really enjoyed everything.

SPOILERS

Except for the final boss.... I just wanted to fight Mother Brain. Not listen to some whiny bitch talk about how humans are evil and how she has feelings. Fuck you, I DON'T care about you, MB. I just want to kill you. Also, I wish that guy at the end wore an I'M EVIL sign on him, because I had a hard time telling that he was evil, considering all the non-evil ways he acted.

SPOILERS

I do agree. The ending was a tease, but I think they implied that there was no mother brain, just Melissa and the Metroid Queen in the biologics lab. As a dramatic ending, it works, but not as a gameplay one.

Okay, so Other M has simultaneously shed more light on and made me more confused about the space pirates. (spoilers, I guess)

Zebesians are clearly a different species from space pirates. It seems that the Space Pirates are an organization made up of lots of different species, as we've seen in the prime games. I suspect that most pirates are organized into groups based on their species, with certain leaders that are suitable for that species, such as Mother Brain with the weak-willed Zebesians and Meta Ridley with the scientific Prime 1 pirates. The pirates in Prime 2 seem to be related to the Zebesians, judging from their lobster-like claws. The Prime 3 pirates are more termite-like and were probably the original inhabitants of that planet before it became the home base for pirates. Of course, they built themselves armour that resembled Zebesians, but I'm starting to ramble.

TL;DR version: how do the space pirates work?

And they always will.

Metroids are not pets!

That's the thing that's bugging me, plot-wise.

General, but non plot-specific spoilers to follow:

In the Prime games, and pretty much Super Metroid, the Space Pirates are these xenophobic beserker lords (to use an acquaintance's terminology) with delusions of grandeur and a highly malleable sense of bodily integrity. They were generally (and entertainingly) incompetent, very unsettling and goal-oriented, but more or less intelligent (and capable of snark, it seems!).

In Other M, however, it shows that the pirates are much more feral, with little intelligence... even just animal-like could be a good descriptor. Ridley, the general he is in Zero Mission, Prime, and Super, also seems like more of an animal than anything (though in the course of the plot, this makes sense). The pirates you encounter, well, I don't get the feeling that they can do anything other than screech and shoot.

And then you have the Pirates in Fusion... the manual says they were there on a raiding mission, but I think the events of Other M retcons that nice and pat.

I mean, in the end, I really don't want the Prime games to just be written out of the whole story-line, because it offered (far better than the classic series) the best portrayals of the Chozo and Space Pirates yet.

Also, the Space Pirates from Prime 1 are the Pirates who were NOT caught in the blast when the Mother Ship blew up in Zero Mission when Samus killed MechaRidley.

The Pirates in Prime 2 are the remnants of THOSE remnants who escaped Samus' complete ass-whooping during her stint on Tallon IV.

Prime 3...... Well, I'm not sure. They're not Zebesians. I think they're a different faction (possibly separatist) within the larger nomadic organization.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Except (Again, Other M Spoilers here) I think that the pirates on the Bottle Ship were intentionally genetically engineered to not be intelligent, and be very easy to control. That's why they're more like beasts, just following the mental orders of MB or the screeches of Ridley.

As for the Ridley clone, he is very young and aggressive, and the original was older and more experienced. But even so, Samus herself mentions how the baby and adolescent Ridleys are intelligent.

I'm not sure why the design of the pirates changed so much between prime 1 and 2 if they are supposed to be the same species. Also, does it expressly say in prime 1 that the frigate Orpheon and the Tallon IV base actually are the survivors of the Zebes (Which I guess is pronounced zeh-beh-z. I always pronounced it zeebs) attack? I honestly can't remember...

Also, side note, but in the manual for Trilogy it says prime 1 takes place 3 years after Zero mission? I always thought it was just 3 months?