Metroid: Other M

I've been lurking in this board ever since Other: M came out to figure out whether its worth getting or not and I still have not been able to make any jurisdiction whatsoever. Hopefully the price will lower by the time New Vegas gets out and I can get both with the money on my edge card

I'm assuming you're not a diehard Metroid fan -- if that's the case I would definitely pick it up used. Not nearly as good as Prime Trilogy (which every Wii owner should have).

I'm assuming you're not a diehard Metroid fan -- if that's the case I would definitely pick it up used. Not nearly as good as Prime Trilogy (which every Wii owner should have).

I admit that the Prime series had objectively better games but I had a lot more fun with Other M than I did with any of the Prime games, and I bought and finished them all.

I just don't know about getting the Prime Trilogy...

I mean, I played and beat Metroid Prime 1 and 2 a shitton of times.

Prime 3, I'm still working on a second playthrough (since I liked it least, but it's still good).

I mean, owning all three games, I never really had a huge urge to buy the Trilogy.

I guess I should convince my older brother to get it, since he only beat Prime 3 and loved it after failing to make it through the other two, but still, he'd probably say "I'll just play it on the GC".

I actually liked the GC controls more than the Wii controls.

I just don't know about getting the Prime Trilogy...

I mean, I played and beat Metroid Prime 1 and 2 a shitton of times.

Prime 3, I'm still working on a second playthrough (since I liked it least, but it's still good).

I mean, owning all three games, I never really had a huge urge to buy the Trilogy.

I guess I should convince my older brother to get it, since he only beat Prime 3 and loved it after failing to make it through the other two, but still, he'd probably say "I'll just play it on the GC".

I actually liked the GC controls more than the Wii controls.

Controls are a subjective opinion I suppose (I prefer the Wiimote aiming). Widescreen though is incredible, especially in Prime 1 :P

Edit: And yeah, if you already own both GC games there's not much need to get it.

My only real issue with Prime Trilogy is that widescreen, Wiimote aiming, and the default difficulty settings combine to make the game ridiculously easy for someone who has played it before. I mean, I knew it was going to be somewhat easy going into it, since I already more or less remembered everything, but I had no idea I would get through it without dying once, even on Veteran (normally I die all the time on Omega Pirate and at least once or twice on Ridley).

Echoes is a bit better about it, probably since I don't remember it nearly as well (having not sequenced broken the hell out of it like Prime), but even its best enemies I'm finding rather simple - those horned things in Torvus Bog aren't NEARLY as ragequit-worthy as they were before.

Aside: Shame, Retro, for subtly patching over some of the best sequence break spots in later releases of Prime and in Prime Trilogy. I'm keeping my original disc just for those.

You can actually sequence break the hell out of Echoes, as people are finding out.

You can avoid having the Ing steal your items, and start with the bombs, double jump, and missiles, and a lot more.

Making large chunks of the game skippable.

The Infinite Speed Glitch is in Prime, Prime 2, AND Corruption.

Heck, people HAVE sequence broke Corruption so that when you go to the bridge you fight Rundas at (and there are those pirates that try to build a tower there), you fight Rundas AND the pirates all at once. Shit's crazy.

Finally done. Finished at 99%; can't get the final missile expansion in the Main Sector due to an odd bug I'm experiencing, completely unrelated to the Sector 3 door glitch, where that first large room with a bathroom extension causes my Wii to freeze whenever I enter. (and beating the postgame boss causes you to restart from your ship, meaning there's no other way to get back to the main areas at that point but through that room)

Anyways, on the whole, I enjoyed it. It's clearly not the best Metroid game ever (not even close really), and has some pretty annoying problems. The plot was serviceable, but also had some issues. Personally, I was perfectly fine with Samus experiencing PTSD due to her backstory, but I agree with those who say it makes no damn sense for her to experience it on her fifth fight with the guy.

Problems aside though, the gameplay was fun the whole way through, which is the most important consideration in my book. That + Manthony Higgs = a relatively enjoyable game that I wouldn't mind playing again sometime in the future.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Manthony Higgs is the best part about this game.

From his REMEMBUH ME? to his final appearance, you are NEVER displeased with the guy. He's just too cool.

And did anyone else think evil Fat Colonel was a little bit too subtle for the game? I had a hard time figuring out just whose side he was on!

homebrew programmers have had a fix for that for two weeks

And this is why everyone pirates their Nintendo consoles -- because their tech support absolutely blows for this type of thing. Give us real online support in your next generation and just maybe everyone won't be getting a Wii 70% for the purpose of having portable emulation boxes. :P

I think if I ever decide to mod a Wii, I'd probably just end up buying and modding a second Wii so that I still have the original legit one for Wii Shop purposes.

That would be a waste of money. The Wii Shop is accessible no matter how much homebrew you have. If there's an update from Nintendo and the Shop stops working, you just use NUS Downloader and MMM to update to the new version of the Shop channel (and the one file that it requires) and you're back to normal again without getting rid of your homebrew.

Have you tried playing the Shining Force games? Those are the best games on the virtual console - You know, excluding the universally accepted classics. I'm already playing Shining Force 2 the seventh time.

Anyway, Metroid Other M could've used some work, and now I've realized the truth behind the hype. Yet, I still want to play it again. And yes, Prime series was better.