Metroid: Other M

Well, the PTSD is almost explainable, but it is a bit of a weak point in the story, and it could have been used a lot better. Hell, if there had only been Metroid 1, 2 and 3, and the Other M, it would have been a lot more realistic to get the PTSD moment.

If she'd have lost her upgrades to the powersuit due to a recent and bloody battle to a more powerful Ridley to only fight it again, yeah it would have made sense for the PTSD.

Hell, if she would have saved the bunny a couple of times and formed a bond with it, to have it THEN become Ridley, it would have made more sense.

But what we got was a plot that was rehashed from Fusion, with some inconsistencies that stood out.

Keep in mind, I loved the game, and it was very enjoyable, I just have issues with its placement in the plotline.

Like I said, you put it after 1, before Prime, and you replace "baby metroid cell" by "metroid goop found on your armor after one bit you" and it becomes much stronger.

Oh and FUCKING REMOVE THE NIGHTMARE FIGHT.

It was a super secret top secret ultra unknown weapon bio-organism found in Fusion. Samus should not have fought it in Other M. (In fact, the Nightmare fight pisses me off a LOT MORE than PTSD... No complaints about Phantoon though, cuz, well, he's a bit of a ghost that feeds on dead space stations, he made sense.) Rogue Security bot from Fusion would have been nice, hell, a Serris fight would have been nice, or if you wanted a very shocking and effective reveal: an Omega Metroid.

The Nightmare... I dunno, it doesn't quite fit there.

I'm pretty sure that when the creator of a series says that something is or isn't part of the universe that he created, it means it isn't canon.

Well, obviously the guy who got the Metroid series started would not see Prime as part of his creation, seeing as he died a while ago.

Now if he says he developed Other M without Prime in consideration, then it might mean that Other M was in fact the one out of official cannon.

That doesn't stop everyone from disagreeing with his 'canonical' viewpoints on Samus' character, now does it?

No, but it does make "everyone" else's collective viewpoints a mite less valid.

If anything, Other M's biggest problem is its source material which is bonk in the first place. If people are able to suspend their disbelief that the Mother Brain is quite literally an over-sized brain in a cartoonish container that lords over a group of space bugs, then it should be no problem to deal with a bit of over-acting and PTSD.

But I guess I forgot that here on the internet everyone's a robot-in-female-disguise loving hard ass.

...Actually, that last part doesn't sound too bad.

The game deserves a sequel using the same gameplay style, just with a better story and voice acting. I liked the game a lot. Others hated it. We're not going to be able to change each other's opinions on it.

Overall, people on the internet need to stop being hypocrites. You cannot accuse Nintendo of always playing it safe and selling us the same games every year and then praise DKCR and crucify Metroid Other M. DKCR does NOTHING new to the genre or franchise, and while it's an excellent game, it is a prime example of Nintendo selling us the same game again. Metroid other M was a HUGE risk and a big step out of their comfort zone, so you can't expect it to be the greatest game ever.

Nintendo tried something new; what we've been demanding them to do for years. And then we criticize them for trying something new and demand a sequel to a retread of an old franchise.

Grow Up.

I think M:OM deserves the lack in sales. Good gameplay, terrible everything else. It was interesting seeing the special stage for the new DoA game. I guess Team Ninja got something else out of the deal, eh?

Nintendo tried something new; what we've been demanding them to do for years. And then we criticize them for trying something new and demand a sequel to a retread of an old franchise.

Grow Up.

Oh look, yet another person who thinks Other M is condemned for trying something new. Newsflash: That's not why it's universally slammed. It's slammed because it handled many of those new things very poorly.

If you want a good example of doing something new with a pre-established Nintendo character, look at Kirby's Epic Yarn.

DKCR does NOTHING new to the genre or franchise, and while it's an excellent game, it is a prime example of Nintendo selling us the same game again.

Do you know why Nintendo can afford to sell us the same games again and again?

Because they're good games.

If you went to the best pizza place in town, and discovered that they had converted to a restaurant that sells really bad sushi, would you tell your disappointed associates to grow up?

No, because you aren't stupid.

The idea here is that nobody wants bad sushi, no matter how much they want sushi. When [anybody] said that they wanted new, exciting things from Nintendo, they did not mean a forty hour, badly written, badly acted fanfic that takes their favorite character and sends them in a baffling new direction.

Imagine if somebody said that they wanted a new, fresh Mario game, and Nintendo responded by releasing a Mario game with 80 hours of cutscenes explaining how Mario is actually a misanthropic chauvinist and regularly rapes everything you know and love.

I don't think anybody would try to justify that saying well, what if that's what Miyamoto wanted all along???

The idea here is that nobody wants bad sushi, no matter how much they want sushi. When [anybody] said that they wanted new, exciting things from Nintendo, they did not mean a forty hour, badly written, badly acted fanfic that takes their favorite character and sends them in a baffling new direction.

Imagine if somebody said that they wanted a new, fresh Mario game, and Nintendo responded by releasing a Mario game with 80 hours of cutscenes explaining how Mario is actually a misanthropic chauvinist and regularly rapes everything you know and love.

I don't think anybody would try to justify that saying well, what if that's what Miyamoto wanted all along???

When they interviewed Miyamoto after Mario Galaxy 2 (I think it was 2), he talked about how one of the developers had put story into the game, after he was told to take it out. The guy didn't listen and explained how it's important how the story "resonates" with the player.

While the story wasn't THAT intrusive, this doesn't bode well for future Mario/Nintendo games. Sounds like they want to shove more story into their games. Too bad they don't seem to have the talent for it.

It isn't a matter of whether or not Sakamoto would have wanted that. He DID want Other M the way it was. He said as much anyway, which is pretty much the end of it.

It isn't the end of it as long as people keep saying that the plot made any semblance of sense at all.

A guy saying he wanted to write a bad story doesn't somehow make it less of a bad story.

I think it's pretty telling that Sakamoto admitted that he had never even THOUGHT about Samus' character until writing Metroid Other M. Hell, how many of us have read good, compelling, and intriguing fanfiction that has trounced Other M's story? I have. Hell, all of the joke-fics I wrote about Metroid treat the subject with more dignity and respect.

Obviously he knows how to direct a good game (you know, see the rest of the series), but Jeeziz all those years and he couldn't have thought up of anything WORTHWHILE to put in those cutscenes?

No, we're introduced to pointless Ian, pointless Army squad, "the baby," and an Adam character whom we are told is good and righteous and just but is NEVER SHOWN DOING ANY ACTIONS THAT CAN BE CONSIDERED AS SUCH IN THE ENTIRETY OF THE GAME.

And one of the worst "final bosses" I have ever had to endure.

A twenty minute exposition dump followed by a cutscene boss. What shit.

As for the Prime games, SAKAMOTO NEVER SAID THEY WEREN'T CANON. The exact wording is something along the lines of dodging the question, saying stuff like "I've had little input into the games" (which is false- I am pretty sure he was heavily consulted for the creation of Samus' character in the first Prime), and more importantly, "the Prime games take place in a seperate story arc from the main Metroid story arc". So actions in the Prime games are not going to majorly affect the "core" story arc of the franchise.

A lot of Metroid fans on the main sites (Metroid Database, M2K2, etc) believe the game should be retconned out of existence. Not only because of the unflattering portrayal, but because the story of Other M (which was hyped so much) contradicts not only the Primes, but Metroid Fusion (which it was trying to set up for!), Zero Mission, and the official manga (which did a SHITTON better job setting up the story of Samus- hell Other M NEVER mentions the Chozo!).

Sakamoto's strengths lie in GAME DESIGN, and that is where he should STAY- and he should hire talented people that compensate for HIS flaws as opposed to turn this thing into a one man show. Not even Miyamoto is stupid enough to believe that he could do everything.

I'm about as big a Metroid fan as they come. I've played HUNTERS four times- much more than that terrible game deserved. I played through Other M 3 times, and have played and beaten every Metroid game multiple times.

Other M is just so goddamned frustrating. For every cool thing they introduce to the story (the Deleter, MB, Choogle/Little Birdy), stuff that is interesting and makes you want to find out what's going on, Sakamoto in his hubris dumps all this awkward, painful, and insulting exposition on you, and it's infuriating. When Samus is not monologuing about THINGS THAT JUST HAPPENED, she's pining about Adam, whom has NEVER once in the game shown he is deserving of her praise. He is just a cold calculating dick that we are supposed to ASSUME is good-natured and understanding. I give credit to the VAs, whom I think did an honestly good job with that horrific and mangled script, but a bad script is still that.

Samus having PTSD is inaccurate in the first place.

No it's not. What's inaccurate is her being crippled by it decades later. And it's just a shitty plot device in general. Also whoever showed that scene to the poor war vet and asked him dumb questions is an asshole.

edit: oh sorry, didnt read the post right above this one. still, if it's not canon...