Metroid: Other M

I don't mean to meaninglessly bump a topic 4 months later, but I thought I might as well add some things (since I'm such a huge Metroid fan):

-This game is now being sold for $15, new, on Amazon. It has been less than a year.

-According to VGChartz, Other M has sold roughly 800,000 units worldwide, since its launch 7 months ago

Not terrible (I still think it's a crime that Muramasa: The Demon Blade only sold 19K and Little King's Story sold 23K), but for a game with this budget, that's a flopper right there.

Though on a larger and more hopeful note, Retro is working on a new game, one that they say "everyone wants us to do"

You think Nintendo realized that they themselves are not too good at making a Metroid game right now?

I can only hope.

To tell you the truth, some of my opinions on this game have softened somewhat considering I haven't really played this in so many months. Though I have a feeling that if I were to pop it back in, all the things I had forced out of my memory would come back and annoy the ever-living fuck out of me.

To Other M's credit, I loved the enemy design, and I loved seeing all the classic enemies now in beautiful 3D and act like living, breathing monsters. I just wish I didn't fight the same three variations of sidehoppers all the fucking time. And I think Other M was able to nail down the derelict space station feel in a way that Fusion didn't really pull off for me. While both in Fusion and in Other M, I never felt I was anywhere else but a big metal ship (despite all the differing "ecospheres"), Other M pulled it off a lot better, as can be expected. Fusion is the better game over all, though.

You think Nintendo realized that they themselves are not too good at making a Metroid game right now?

Nintendo didn't really make Other M, Team Ninja did most of it. You can feel their influence everywhere. Though the main director of the series was involved, not sure how he let the project go so astray.

Nintendo SHOULD make another Metroid themselves as the ones that R&D1 did by themselves are the best (MI, II:RoS, III:Super, IV:Fusion, Zero). Retro did a great job making the series a FPS, but its still a FPS version of the series and not the way the series is meant to play.

Neither is Other M though. Thats a bralwer / Ninja Gaiden (modern) clone that someone mixed Metroid into and broke its controls horribly.

Personally I think they should get Epic / Cliff Bleszinski to do it, because Shadow Complex is the closet thing we've gotten to a modern Metroid outside of the indie scene.

It's pretty much a given that anything that isn't Mario in 2D will not sell in the high millions.

Ask any of my older family about Mario, they'll rave on about Super Mario Bros.

Ask 'em anything about Metroid, they'll respond with "Who's this robot thing?"

Metroid Other M isn't cute, isn't 2D, isn't a shooter, and has more than a few botchy story moments. All those things considered, 800k copies isn't entirely out of line for a radically different entry in a series whose last few entries have had about 1.5 million copies sold each in their lifetime(save the original Prime, which sold close to 2 million).

I don't mean to meaninglessly bump a topic 4 months later, but I thought I might as well add some things (since I'm such a huge Metroid fan):

I just finished playing it a few weeks ago. I hated what they did to the character. Samus doesnt need anyones approval, shes a bad ass bounty hunter who wiped out the most dangerous race in the universe (2nd only to critters)

I could rant more about how this game annoyed me but I am sure people already pointed out most of what I was going to say,

Overall it was a fun game but a crappy Metroid game. Maybe I judge a little more harsh since I have loved all Metroid games prior to this one. Oh well, maybe next time....

Nintendo didn't really make Other M, Team Ninja did most of it. You can feel their influence everywhere. Though the main director of the series was involved, not sure how he let the project go so astray.

He was probably so busy writing his shitty fanfic of a story to notice.

I can tell you that if I was the head of this project, I would have noticed some obvious glaring fucking faults. Like, you know, the Where's Waldo segments (which were retarded). And the forced slow-walks (which were retarded). And the authorization (which was retarded). The fact that Sakamoto either ignored these things (if you take a good interpretation of his actions), or (the bad) actively pushed for all of these things to be included (since he had so much control over everything being writer, director, and producer)... It REALLY makes me question his aptitude as a game developer if he can make such shitty, shitty, shitty decisions for a franchise whose entries have all essentially been top-tier in quality.

Team Ninja made have made the gameplay and level design and bosses and whatnot, but ultimately Sakamoto emblazoned his name right there in the fucking first spot of the credits, and all the interviews maintained that this was his show. So really, this is Sakamoto's deformed baby.

Nintendo SHOULD make another Metroid themselves as the ones that R&D1 did by themselves are the best (MI, II:RoS, III:Super, IV:Fusion, Zero). Retro did a great job making the series a FPS, but its still a FPS version of the series and not the way the series is meant to play.

Neither is Other M though. Thats a bralwer / Ninja Gaiden (modern) clone that someone mixed Metroid into and broke its controls horribly.

If I can recall correctly, Intelligent Systems were the main workers of Metroid Fusion and Metroid II, whereas R&D1 worked mainly on Metroid and Super Metroid (and ZM? Wasn't R&D1 kaput by ZM?). Of course there must have been overlap though.

I think Intelligent Systems, if given the chance, can make another Metroid game. Not only are they a quality developer, but if their track record is what I think it is they know how to make a really GOOD linear Metroid game. Metroid II is a classic as far as I'm concerned, and Fusion I think is the third best in the series, after Super Metroid and Prime.

Personally I think they should get Epic / Cliff Bleszinski to do it, because Shadow Complex is the closet thing we've gotten to a modern Metroid outside of the indie scene.

That's a game I really need to play, since everyone always talks about it. No 360, though (lol I spent all my money on my Sega Saturn).

team ninja made the game itself aka all of the parts that were actually good

the asinine chauvinist story was penned by Yoshio Sakamoto, who has convinced himself that he is the father of Metroid games

and refers to Samus as his "daughter"

Now, if that doesn't make the story of Other M reallllly realllllllly creepy, I don't know what does.

And while I love the Prime games, I think the sidescrolling formula is a little better.

Now, Prime and Echoes are two of my all-time favorite games, but so are Super and Zero Mission, ya dig?

He was probably so busy writing his shitty fanfic of a story to notice.

I can tell you that if I was the head of this project, I would have noticed some obvious glaring fucking faults. Like, you know, the Where's Waldo segments (which were retarded). And the forced slow-walks (which were retarded). And the authorization (which was retarded).

You are forgetting

in the game

I mean

Seriously

WHY?

You are forgetting
in the game

I mean

Seriously

WHY?

It could be argued that any time Samus fought Ridley before, for some reason or other, he wasn't ACTUALLY killed. The early games were lacking in context a fair bit. Just because something blows up does not mean it's dead.

But that's neither here nor there. Personally, Other M's story silliness and bizarre gameplay choices didn't really bother me much. I mean, yeah, the authorization thing stopped making sense right around sector 3, but the authorization was just there instead of roaming hither and thither for the upgrades. The Metroid Queen was fairly anticlimax for a real final boss, though (I don't count MB).

All in all, gameplay-wise, I wouldn't mind another Other M. But not on a space station.

If I can recall correctly, Intelligent Systems were the main workers of Metroid Fusion and Metroid II, whereas R&D1 worked mainly on Metroid and Super Metroid (and ZM? Wasn't R&D1 kaput by ZM?). Of course there must have been overlap though.

Intelligent Systems has only been involved with one Metroid game, as far as I know. They helped with programming on Super Metroid, R&D1 did all the rest. R&D1 did Metroid II and Fusion. R&D1 was active up until 2005 when Iwata restructured the R&Ds.

IS mostly does the "Wars" series, and the Mario & Luigi / Papper Mario series. All great games

You are forgetting
in the game

I mean

Seriously

WHY?

I do not have a Wii. The last Metroid game I played through was Metroid Prime. I see Super Metroid as being the pinnacle, the crowned jewel, the masterpiece of the series. Everything after it has been derivative.

After lurking in this forum and then finally seeing that cutscene, I wonder if the makers of this game have even played Metroid. Of all the times Samus has defeated Ridley in the past - and even worse enemies - why all of a sudden would she freeze up? Granted that comes to me with no context, and strictly as a gamer, not putting myself in her shoes, first thing I'd do is switch to super missiles and drill that space pterodactyl into the ground.

Then again, after two glasses of sangria I may be taking this all too seriously...