Golden Sun DS

The Damned

The graphics look a bit meh to me, but I can live with that.

I'm wondering how the games pacing and such will be set up, like 1, 2 or a little of both?

I know there's different camps of people in regards to which game was better, some liked the openness of 2 and other hated it feeling it lacked direction. I'm kind of hoping for a mix (2 overdid it a little for me personally).

Wow, I'm totally having one of biggest nerdgasms of my life right now. For years I have waited for this, hoping it would be out at last years E3, but alas to no avail. Finally, it has appeared in front of me and I shall be expecting great things from this masterpiece. The "world" graphics style seems like it may be quirky, but the summons definitely look bad-ass to me. And for the sake of being a nerd the summons are: Eclipse, Nereid, Ramses, and Atalanta, in that order. :nicework:

Great to finally see another game in the series. Can't say I was wowed by the trailer but the idea of another Golden Sun game is exciting enough. It was never a "graphic" game, anyway.

When I say the graphics are "meh" I mean that they are a downgrade from the first two games, which had a very nice visual style going for it.

I can live with it, as I don't often care about graphics unless they impede game play, I'm just disappointed that everything looks like they took the graphics from the original games and resized them awkwardly into the new one, if they're going to make a new game they should do it right, and if they want to use the old graphics use them without making them look like junk.

Of course the games release is a year away so there's lots of room to improve, and I do indeed look forward to the story and puzzling (and music!).

I am *very* excited about this, being a fan of the series (my user icon should be indication enough of that). I liked seeing the summons animated in 3D, but I am curious how well it's going to transition over to the rest of the game. It looks okay in the trailer, but not astounding.

I am a huge, huge fan of the story in the series and this excites me a great deal. I loved the characters and general tone of the story: there's a crisis, but the whole thing isn't overly dark or brooding either. Quite a good balance. I about flipped out when I heard this. Can't wait to see what this brings!

I wet myself when the music played.

Unfortunately it's on the DS. Although, I might ask my brother (who lives overseas) if I could "borrow" his DS just for this. He rarely plays it anyway.

I think I have to comment on the graphics as well - one of the most awesome things about GS1&2 was their extraordinary graphics on a GBA. It almost feels like a downgrade, now that they've moved onto 3D. I would probably have much preferred it if it stayed isometric, but oh well.

As long as Motoi Sakuraba is doing the music, I'm happy.

At the same time, the blatant sequel hook is too obvious. Plus, it's just easier to think what happened happened and it's just a HAPPY ENDING.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/goldensun/images/f/f6/Golden_Sun_DS_Poster.jpg

Thought I'd throw this out there too.

They definitely look like descendants of Issac/Mia/Garet, but I'm going to guess only the blond-haired kid is actually Issac's son. The other two are probably just characters designed to look similar to Mia and Garet, or they might even be Issac/Mia/Garet, just a bit older. The reason I say this is because the Garet-looking guy does in fact look like Garet, and he even has the same clothes. It would be weird to make a supposed "younger" character look much older than the others, no? Ah well, I guess it all depends on the story, there could always be some twisted-ass plot no one forsees.

Well, the characters are confirmed to be descendants, just now how far down the line

Actually, I would argue that the girl looks a lot like Piers from the second game. The hair color is closer, for example. And for whatever little speculation is worth, she dresses more like Jenna than Mia (that short cape sticks out the most). Also note that it seems like the guy who looks like Garet is using Lightning, which is part of the Wind Adept's arsenal, not a Fire Adept. So it's possible our tank may actually be a Jupiter Adept instead of a squishy mage type. And... well, Isaac's kid looks almost like the same goddamn person. No speculation there.

Hard to say what the deal is with these characters. We'll just have to wait and see. Still, it looks exciting.

Looks like they're not going with the blatant sequel hook at the end of GS2; the DS title will take place down the line and stars the descendants of the previous games' heroes. (link)

Happy yes, but it implies that there was another adventure for Issac, should they choose to have it. Maybe Issac passes the power of the Golden Sun to his descendants?

Well, the characters are confirmed to be descendants, just now how far down the line

Actually, I would argue that the girl looks a lot like Piers from the second game. The hair color is closer, for example. And for whatever little speculation is worth, she dresses more like Jenna than Mia (that short cape sticks out the most). Also note that it seems like the guy who looks like Garet is using Lightning, which is part of the Wind Adept's arsenal, not a Fire Adept. So it's possible our tank may actually be a Jupiter Adept instead of a squishy mage type. And... well, Isaac's kid looks almost like the same goddamn person. No speculation there.

Hard to say what the deal is with these characters. We'll just have to wait and see. Still, it looks exciting.

Well the lighting from his axe is most likely just an Unleash. It's only around his weapon and nothing else. Plus GS ALWAYS stays true to the hair color matching the character's psynergy, with the main cast anyway. But since they are descendants like you say, it will be interesting to see who they are...

Totally agree with you there, Sakuraba's score in the original GBA games were quite brilliant, possibly the best OST on the console, bar none.

Until you realize that Motoi has used and continues to use almost the exact same songs in any game he does.

Example:

Golden Sun Main Theme:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gba/GoldenSun2_ThemeArg1.mid

Mario Golf Boo Classic:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/mg64BooClasic.mid

Golden Sun 2 Introduction Theme:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gba/GoldenSun2_IntroductionGMXGv103.mid

Star Ocean 2 L'Aqua:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/l%27aqua.mid

Theres just a small example.

Still, I'm looking forward to the soundtrack too.

I have a feeling some VG composers think it's cool when they add their own "easter eggs" if you will to the video games they work on. I mean I doubt it could hardly be called that, but hey the designers do it so why can't the musicians? I'd like to have my own trademark :|

I have a feeling some VG composers think it's cool when they add their own "easter eggs" if you will to the video games they work on. I mean I doubt it could hardly be called that, but hey the designers do it so why can't the musicians? I'd like to have my own trademark :|

Its less of a trademark in this case than just Motoi being a factory. He cranks out like 13 RPG soundtracks a year, so doing each soundtrack sounding different is right out. Its much easier to just rewrite the same ones over and over.

That being said, its a sure bet that anyone hoping the soundtrack will live up to the old standards will be pleased to say the least.

Its less of a trademark in this case than just Motoi being a factory. He cranks out like 13 RPG soundtracks a year, so doing each soundtrack sounding different is right out. Its much easier to just rewrite the same ones over and over.

That being said, its a sure bet that anyone hoping the soundtrack will live up to the old standards will be pleased to say the least.

Well hey, it's gotta take a lot of skill to keep putting out similarly arranged material and still make it sound amazing. I've played many games with his music and haven't noticed until it was actually pointed out to me. Nevertheless, no one here is complaining, so let's wait and hope for the best.