A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Wait, what? Since when was FFXII not innovative? I understand that a lot of people hated the changes, but it was the biggest changeup since... I don't know when.

the ART director. the artwork in that game was terrible compared to...pretty much every other ff game. the visuals were nice, but the artwork they were displaying left much to be desired.

i loved the open-world battles. way better than anything else they've ever done. i wish they didn't get rid of it for 13.

I started playing FFXI after they added level syncing, and apparently that changed the system greatly. Everyone I've talked to that has played it and other MMOs seems to say that WoW is the most grinding tedious MMO around though.

No, people only say that because wow is so incredibly easy that any grinding is suddenly hard. After all, while there are plenty of rep factions to grind to exalted with, only a couple take more then a week or two of hour a day play. Leveling is fast (Ive leveled 3 characters to 80 in the same played time as it took me to get into the 40s on ffxi)

Also, I've begun following this site closely. I'm way too excited about this.

Holy fudge packer, that's an excellent site! Just spent the last hour or so reading through everything!

To hear them state, several times, that they are trying to focus more on a balance of solo play and party play, it bolsters my ever growing confidence in the game. They seem to be truly taking what they learned from XI and trying to employ it on XIV!

I am giddy with excitement!

Holy fudge packer, that's an excellent site! Just spent the last hour or so reading through everything!

To hear them state, several times, that they are trying to focus more on a balance of solo play and party play, it bolsters my ever growing confidence in the game. They seem to be truly taking what they learned from XI and trying to employ it on XIV!

I am giddy with excitement!

I am so excited with this game.... I can't wait! anyone who gets me into beta... I'll love you forever, or if your in utah/OC I'll hook ya up with a fat meal at roy's or somewhere good. haha.

the ART director. the artwork in that game was terrible compared to...pretty much every other ff game. the visuals were nice, but the artwork they were displaying left much to be desired.

Yeah, see I disagree with that too. I still think there was too much brown, but it still looked nicer and less saturation-heavy than most other FF games. It was balanced and moderated, which went well with the change from the typical "save the world!" storyline.

Yeah, see I disagree with that too. I still think there was too much brown, but it still looked nicer and less saturation-heavy than most other FF games. It was balanced and moderated, which went well with the change from the typical "save the world!" storyline.

you don't know what i mean by art, do you? visuals = i liked the way things looked. art = i didn't like the CONCEPTS behind the visuals - like that tomb thing. it was the most boring and ugly thing i've ever seen in an FF game. they just plastered the save five tiles over the walls instead of creating something really unique and cool (which they totally could have done). time and time again, every unique area of the game was bland. it looked pretty, but it didn't have that polished vibe that other games that came out around the same time had.

you don't know what i mean by art, do you? visuals = i liked the way things looked. art = i didn't like the CONCEPTS behind the visuals - like that tomb thing. it was the most boring and ugly thing i've ever seen in an FF game. they just plastered the save five tiles over the walls instead of creating something really unique and cool (which they totally could have done). time and time again, every unique area of the game was bland. it looked pretty, but it didn't have that polished vibe that other games that came out around the same time had.

I don't know ...

arriving_attombofraithwall.jpg

I think this is a case of preference. The inside of the tomb may have been so-so (I didn't dislike it), but XII's art design was no slouch job. There was a lot of detail in there.

did it say beta, or testing? if it's just testing, then it's likely alpha stage, internal testing of specific components only.

If you read up on it they talk about GM's to take charge of the testing, so you'd assume that its the beginning of beta. FFXI Didn't have outside GM's for alpha...

• 1 month later...

I could be wrong but judging by how fast they're putting info out, it seems to me that they're really pushing for that 2010 release.

I don't think that this is gonna be a WoW killer by a long shot, but I DO think that this game has the potential to coexist alongside it with a respectable player base if it's as accessible as they're saying it will be.

Judging just by those CG models, I'd have to say that I prefer FFXI's characters for now. So far, this is looking like a better realized, more interesting and more accessible Final Fantasy XI in HD.

Gar, the site loader is stuck at 96% and just sitting there, boo!

They said this would be more solo-able than WoW. That and PvP is what I liked about WoW, if they can just manage good PvP I think they could become one of the best mmo's. Thing I loved most about FFXI was the story and character progression and cutscenes, something WoW sucked at by comparison.

Edited by Ronyn