A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

I can see why people have put you on ignore before, Bleck. You're really good at this trolling stuff. You ALMOST angered me. A little. But then I remembered people like you aren't worth worrying about. Or listening to, for that matter. :)

So... anyone care to get back to the topic at hand? Any juicy links to some more FFXIV info that anyone's found?

It's the Bleck and Dusk show!

Don't miss what Variety Magazine is calling, "The freshest sitcom this side of Dick Van Dyke!", and what Entertainment Weekly says is "The show I've been intending to watch, but I still haven't figured out Tivo yet". TV Guide says, "It's not canceled yet?", and People Magazine raves, "That's the one with two guys, right?".

DON'T MISS IT!

Anyway, I can't really comment on MMORPGs and such, as I've never been able to get past the "pay monthly to play" deal. $50 on a game, then $15 more every thirty days just never appealed to me.

But I can say, does anyone think Squenix is getting a bit ahead of themselves with this? FF XIII and its many parts aren't even done yet, and they're already cranking out another one. Maybe they should take a break and do something else... like say... oh, I don't know... Einhander II?

Anyway, I can't really comment on MMORPGs and such, as I've never been able to get past the "pay monthly to play" deal. $50 on a game, then $15 more every thirty days just never appealed to me.

It didn't appeal to me at first either, but the content updates are usually worth it. I noticed both FFXI and WoW have this. Like mini-expansions, but you're forced to get 'em. I dunno, whatever floats your boat.

GW is a good MMO, especially considering it has no monthly fee. Very different feel compared to traditional MMOs, too. I highly recommend it.

But I can say, does anyone think Squenix is getting a bit ahead of themselves with this? FF XIII and its many parts aren't even done yet, and they're already cranking out another one. Maybe they should take a break and do something else... like say... oh, I don't know... Einhander II?

Well, like someone said back on page 2, 3, or 4, FFXIII and FFXIV are really two completely different kinds of games. I'd figure they're not even being developed by the same teams, with a few exceptions (Uematsu?). I could be wrong on that, though.

Einhander II would be pretty cool, but FF is Square-Enix's bread and butter, and they definitely know it.

Just wanted to chime in here real quick and say:

Most MMOs are free to buy, but then have a monthly fee, and they get you with the expansion set prices.

But things like WoW, UO, and others pretty much say you can play for free for like 10 days, pay $20 to upgrade to a full account, and then get a "free month" (essentially the price of the game is your subscription fee for the "free month" plus the trial period prorated).

Think of it like they're drug dealers and your first fix is free.

I'm not going to go on trying to justify the monthly fee based on the constant updates and (nearly) countless amounts of things to do (I actually feel like Oblivion / Morrowind have way more too do and I REALLY can't wait for the TES MMO). I'm not really here to try to TURN YOU ON TO TRYING an MMO. Just wanted to clear up that misconception.

Rama out.

Just wanted to chime in here real quick and say:

Most MMOs are free to buy, but then have a monthly fee, and they get you with the expansion set prices.

But things like WoW, UO, and others pretty much say you can play for free for like 10 days, pay $20 to upgrade to a full account, and then get a "free month" (essentially the price of the game is your subscription fee for the "free month" plus the trial period prorated).

Think of it like they're drug dealers and your first fix is free.

I'm not going to go on trying to justify the monthly fee based on the constant updates and (nearly) countless amounts of things to do (I actually feel like Oblivion / Morrowind have way more too do and I REALLY can't wait for the TES MMO). I'm not really here to try to TURN YOU ON TO TRYING an MMO. Just wanted to clear up that misconception.

Rama out.

Hmmm... I'm not sure that's any better really. It all still adds up to paying every thirty days just to keep playing your game "legally". That doesn't sit well with me. Call me old fashioned, but when I buy a game, I expect to be able to sit down and play it indefinitely until I'm sick of it for that initial purchase price... not basically keep repurchasing the right to keep playing it.

Even so, thanks for the info, Rama. And sorry for the brief derailment. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Funny you should mention that FFXIII and the rest of Fabula Nova Crysalis hasn't even come out yet, but we're already seeing FFXIV being pushed for the same year Coop, being that Square-Enix is actually quite pissed off at the development teams for taking this long to push those 3 games out the gate. :-P

In terms of paying monthly for a game, I actually find that I save on entertainment this way in that I'm not spending upwards of 40 bucks a pop on a new game since I'm in a persistent world with a shitload of other players and I(ideally) enjoy said experience.

I also actually enjoy giving companies money for producing things that I enjoy, and even I doubt that everyone needs to pay 12.95 a month to keep the game running nice and smooth(I think that's just a price they chose based on other MMOs like Everquest), I don't mind paying it. Maybe I'm a masochist that way.

Those are my suspect justifications to paying for an MMO I enjoy. Ideally they'd release trial editions so people can get a good taste of what the game has to offer for those still on the fence.

I should swift Square Enix in the nuts for making this game. I fell into FFXI for over a year and a half and I really had fun playing it. I played it constantly. I just quit cold turkey because it was taking too much from other areas of my life. It still sounds fun to me all the time. I had a 75 Sam a 68 Nin and almost all of the other melee jobs lvled to 50. I played on Fairy server.

So now this. A whole new level of appeal. Make no mistake this game looks like it would be a blast especially now that I have a more stable infinitely faster internet connection.

I will not buy this game, no way, no how.

Hmmm... I'm not sure that's any better really. It all still adds up to paying every thirty days just to keep playing your game "legally". That doesn't sit well with me. Call me old fashioned, but when I buy a game, I expect to be able to sit down and play it indefinitely until I'm sick of it for that initial purchase price... not basically keep repurchasing the right to keep playing it.

Very true, but the nature of all MMOs is that it is constantly changing with th addition of new material and the refinement of existing. The development team continues working on it even after the game's release, unlike most non MMO titles. I can understand the need for a monthly fee to cover those expenses. Perhaps not as high as 12-15, but a monthly fee non the less.

So now this. A whole new level of appeal. Make no mistake this game looks like it would be a blast especially now that I have a more stable infinitely faster internet connection.

I will not buy this game, no way, no how.

I keep telling myself the same thing, but I'm not listening to me :).

Does anyone have a monthly price for this game? I'm with Coop with the constant stream of money going into it. That being said, I've never done an MMO before but I will at least do this one for a couple months. Maybe more if it's cheap enough.

But tell me something, why does an MMO take money out of my pocket every month when it's free for me to play Resistance 2 online for free? Why is it more expensive? There are patches all the time for the nonmonthly fee games, so why this one?

I know I'm a n00b so don't call me out on it.