A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Official release date announced for Sept 30, 2010

Official Japanese site with info

To me, this feels way too early, that means about 2 months and a bit to beta, and beta still has not started since alpha closed. I do like the Collectors Edition though, that will be a must purchase for me.

Also, this release is for PC only, people who planned to play on PS3 will have to wait until sometime in 2011, so, no more cross platform launch. Anyone who played XI shouldn't be too shocked by this though, there were many different releases over time, starting with JP PS2, JP PC, NA PC, NA PS2, Xbox360, etc.

Edited by ZealPath

I want to place my order but I can't decide where to. I have actually never been to a Gamestop in my life (was still EB "back then"), but I guess that will be changing. I haven't picked up a physical game in a store in years now (thanks Steam!), so this will feel a little strange, probably still my best bet though, for the most part I always got my call on release day to come pick things up, except when I really really wanted something, then of course it would be days late :lol: .

Actually, now that I think about it, the last physical game I bought was... the last FFXI expansion, Wings of the Goddess in late 2007, which btw, STILL isn't complete content wise (that's almost a 3 year wait for the expansion's content to become fully available, glad I'm done with FFXI.

I've gone through hell with MMO or expansion launches and not getting the discs on time, I'll never forget the absolute hell of waiting a full week into launch to get my EQ2 box and being way behind my friends to start. This is why I love DLC, completely removes that possibility, though I don't think that will be available for FFXIV's launch which in a way is fine, that would be a bandwidth killer.

Such is life for the hardcore MMORPG player I guess, which I guess I am about to become again for FFXIV. I guess that's the real reason I was content to wait a little longer for FFXIV, too many games to play as it is and now I have to spend all day on FFXIV... damn :lol: . Part of me is joking here but, considering how one of the big benefits of the CE is the early start, I really really want to make sure I get it on launch day, be nice if they ship early!

Silly console people and playing MMOs on it. Man up and get the real game.

I can't afford to buy a new computer and the laptop I have right now isn't great. Tried to run the benchmark and It screwed up the "Square Enix" screen and then crashed. So...yeah. Most likely going to have to go PS3 :(

As for the PS3 release date, I remember seeing somewhere that was going to be around March 2011. I'll see if I can find it again.

dustin, you've gotta give me a ring. people say they don't have enough money for a computer...they don't know what they're talking about =)

I just checked out how much it would cost to build a rig with a dual core 3 ghz cpu, 4 gigs of PC 1333 ram, a GTS 250 with 1 gig of vram, and all the other essential parts(decent PSU, case, HDD, fans, media drives, OS, MB, etc.), and the total was a simple $560, and this set up is no slouch.

I'll be ringing you up around the end of August, Prophet.

• 1 month later...

I was looking forward to at least trying it out, but not now. With the lack of anything really innovative and new (everything gathering profession wise is just a hot'n'cold game to waste time, shit's still based on the moon phases, same races but in HD with new names), I wasn't expecting much.

However, now that it's been confirmed they're going to be implementing a fatigue system to slow people down while leveling, I'll never try the game as long as it's implemented. Essentially, you'll get 8 combat hours of full experience then 7 hours with diminishing returns to 0 experience per class per week. So, basically, they're punishing someone for playing a class they like.

Sorry, but any game where they'd rather punish the 'hardcore' players instead of just giving the ones with limited playtime a slight boost for leveling when they can play I want no part of.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-final-fantasy/703692

I guess with the latest trailer, we are seeing a march 2011 release date for the PS3. That's only 5 months before my internship ends. By that time I may have my own house and won't be so overwhelmed with my school work to be able to try this one out.

Oh, and the music from the trailer is the same woman who sang the "Distant Worlds" version of Memoro de la Stono. This trailer alone got my interest in this game.

Still more or less looking forward to it myself (if that doesn't sound excited, that's probably about right), I have to say that trailer made it look a lot better than the alpha and beta experience have been so far. Open beta will be starting on Tuesday, I haven't looked into what's involved since I've been in the alpha since day 1, but anyone who wants to check it out (PC only obviously) may want to take a look. I also don't know if by open beta they actually mean anyone can get it, I mean it SHOULD mean that but this is SE so... I dunno.

Right now barring more UI changes I expect the game will fill the same niche as FFXI, it's beautiful, but clunky to play at the moment, with some strange systems, and this will frustrate most new players. FFXI players who have been accepting the "console first, PC later" interface for years now will be ok, and probably think it's more fun than XI.

I suppose the fatigue system isn't exactly going to help its cause, although I should note that much like XI, this is a game where you really need multiple jobs to succeed anyway, so you'll want to jump between classes, and in doing so, that system will have less effect on you.