A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I guess it may be time for a necro bump.

As many of you know, Final Fantasy XIV launched in a pretty dismal(being nice) state. Over the course of it's nearly one year life, it's had several updates that fix a few things, it went free to play indefinitely, and even had a producer/director change.

This Thursday(July 21st) will be the release date for patch 1.18, which is supposed to be a rather large patch that is to set in motion ALL the changes that the newly rerolled dev team has been working on, such as needed changes to the battle system, fixing the actual game engine(which allegedly was a disaster to balance/work with), and so on.

If anyone wants to check out the particulars, you can hit the game's main site The Lodestone and check out the particulars yourself as well as maybe read up on comments by Yoshida(new Producer/Director) and other members of the dev team as translated by community reps or other posters on the official forums(if you can stomach the idea of going to an official forum, of course).

Just thought I'd toss that one out there.

No idea why so many have been hating on this game so much. After FFXIII I think this was just what Final Fantasy fans need. It still has a ways to go but 1.18 changed enough of the game to give it some hope again.

i only play it for the catchicks anyway :) Can't wait for Firefall Faire!

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/topics/images/86/97/949_1.jpg

Patch 1.18 added a lot, such as 2 dungeons, auto-attack, the beginning Grand(public) Company content, new settlements and beastmen encampments, as well as balanced a lot of things like guildleves, battle classes, etc.

There's plenty of stuff for those starting out in the game to do, but most of the bitching on the official forums is coming from people who've already hit rank 50 on most if not all of their classes, so naturally they're going to get bored and annoyed fast.

As for being ready to play? Well patch 1.18 was a huge step in the right direction I think, but it still isn't enough. We still only have 7 combat classes and 5 major zones that hardly have anything in the way of minizones in them. Patch 1.19 will be adding the materia system and other balances/additions to crafting, more transportation systems like chocobos/airships, and more battle fixes.

By the PS3 release, there should be a general expansion to accessible zones, the missing genders from roegadyn and miqo'te will be playable, private companies, company-owned housing and ships should be up, etc.

So basically you're doing fine waiting for the PS3 release.

I had seen a post about the game going free to play indefinitely? Or was I just misreading? Haha. I'm a tad tired of WoW and could use a change of scenery.. If it's free, and shaping up to be better and better as the patches roll out.. I definitely wouldn't mind giving it a once over if we have some members who are into it.

I had seen a post about the game going free to play indefinitely? Or was I just misreading? Haha. I'm a tad tired of WoW and could use a change of scenery.. If it's free, and shaping up to be better and better as the patches roll out.. I definitely wouldn't mind giving it a once over if we have some members who are into it.

until ps3 release at worst i think. not many ocr peeps play it, but check the official forum to find a ls on any server.

Yeah they're pretty crap, but take heart as one of the things they're doing for patch 1.19 is reworking a shitton of ability animations. They've already fixed a bunch for melee classes like Halone's Fury for GLA and Doomspike for LNC in 1.18.

Basically, 1.18 is a base and 1.19 and beyond are going to be filling in a lot of things.

until ps3 release at worst i think. not many ocr peeps play it, but check the official forum to find a ls on any server.

So it isn't worth picking up as it stands now? Fair enough. I guess WoW can tide me over a bit longer until something else comes along.. It's just a shame.. I enjoyed FFXI but if this one is still shaping up, I suppose I'll just pass on it until more people look into it. It would be nice to start it up with some friends to group and goof off with.

So I've noticed that my server(Fabul) has a few new faces here and there. Guess word is already spreading that patch 1.18 has been a good show thus far.

I've started a new character(can have up to 10 and right now it's free) to try all the new stuff from beginning to end, and I've gotta say that I'm liking the improvements thus far, especially the dungeons. I was able to get my old LS up for the rank 25 dungeon, Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, and everything from the intro to outro cutscenes to the epic boss battle(which was one of three possible choices) felt really great and not at all like a snooze-fest as the game used to feel. We wiped the first time obviously, but man was it epic.

Soloing isn't totally obtuse either with levequests(sort of like WoW dailies I guess) rewards making more sense, gaining SP by killing mobs AND completing the leve based on difficulty, mobs outside of leves actually giving decent SP, and of course SP rewards for completing sidequests, storyquests, company quests and dungeons is also great.

If anyone is on Fabul, hit me up. My characters are Malakhim Albrook and Illysa Marduk, both from Limsa Lominsa.

Long live the Admiral and the Maelstrom!