A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

I haven't dealt with random disconnects in a long while, but now with patch 1.19, you get a "leve allowance" that accumulates 4 leves(or more I forget) every 12 hours up to 99 leves, and unless you can auto-retry right after being disconnected, you'll be using one of your allowance points to restart.

Also the problem where you can't reconnect for around 10 minutes or so if disconnected will be gone with this patch.

Considering picking this up next time I'm at a game store of some kind if I see it. If its going to be free for a little while and is pretty cheap to begin with then I figure it might be worth it. Also I haven't played since the Beta and I've been hearing good things about the changes they've been rolling out.

Internet kinda sucks here, but I've been able to play most online games with very few disconnections, so it should be fine.

Considering picking this up next time I'm at a game store of some kind if I see it. If its going to be free for a little while and is pretty cheap to begin with then I figure it might be worth it. Also I haven't played since the Beta and I've been hearing good things about the changes they've been rolling out.

Internet kinda sucks here, but I've been able to play most online games with very few disconnections, so it should be fine.

Honestly, they've still got a ways to go before they start charging for the game. But it's improved dramatically since beta/launch. If it had launched in the state it is now... they probly would have been ok and it wouldn't have been one of the all-time worst MMO launches...

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping they would just decide to keep it free or something... that would have been too good. Not into subscription based MMO's unfortunately so I was hoping, I may have bought the game eventually if they had chose to keep it free..... bah. I hope FF15 has been secretly in production, lol. FFX remake will be great i'm sure...

So, I bought the game and decided to give it a second chance. A lot of things have changed for the better, but I'm struggling with the terrible targeting system. If I'm not lined up just right with something, it'll target something way off in the distance instead of the mob right in front of me. And for all the leves where you fight multiple monsters at once (or things like moles and bogies that disappear and have to be retargeted when they come back), it's an incredibly frustrating experience. I really hope they fix that at some point when they fix everything else.

Square Enix has announced a complete overhaul of Final Fantasy XIV with the introduction of v2.00, as well as penning in a Q3 2012 release window for the PS3 version of the MMO.

As part of V2, the MMO will begin its paid subscription plans, with the game to bill players from the end of November-early December this year. The game has un-billed players since release last September due to a catastrophic launch period which was touched upon recently by the company, basically making it F2P for the past year.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/14/square-enix-announces-ffxiv-v2-00-ps3-gets-q3-2012-release-window/

• 1 month later...

I've been keeping this game locked on my radar, being a veteran of FFXI. For those of you playing, how are things now? Are the servers lively? Optimistic?

I'm studying their PDF about 2.0, but I'm not sure what to think of it. New graphics engine.. graphics were a problem? And then there's this:

"The current maps in FFXIV are not only massive, but allow for seamless passage across wide expanses of the realm. In order to maintain this seamlessness, however, we were forced to heavily reuse assets, resulting in static, repetitive areas."

Obviously, I love the idea of making the maps dynamic akin to FFXI's, but his tone just... it pisses me off. You were forced to reuse assets? To maintain seamlessness? Bullshit. You reused them because you wanted to roll the game out too damn early. That they can continue to be so unapologetic about everything and continue to create excuses just blows my mind.

EDIT: I read further and saw that they are "abandoning seamlessness" in exchange for dynamic areas. I just don't understand why things can't be seamless and dynamic.. Skyrim did it ffs.

I really want to get into this game since I loved FFXI so much, but the whole thing seems so shaky.

EDIT 2: Holy dang, this isn't going to be ready until 2013? This has got to be the most elaborate overhaul in history. I guess I have plenty of time to decide O_O

Edited by Modus

EDIT: I read further and saw that they are "abandoning seamlessness" in exchange for dynamic areas. I just don't understand why things can't be seamless and dynamic.. Skyrim did it ffs.

I just wanted to quickly comment on this. It's not really fair to compare it to Skyrim, Skyrim being a single player game and FFXIV being an MMO. Why? Skyrim only has the single player at any given point in time, whereas as an MMO, in addition to loading the surrounding maps also has to load all player models, their equipment and appearance and any companions/pets they might have. Add to this the fact that FFXIV is more graphically challenging on the system than Skyrim is and you begin to see lag (especially on lower end systems). This is why the game already has "imaginary" zones within the larger zones because early on in the game there was already fairly large lag due to the masses of character and monster models being loaded in each given region.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to abandon seamlessness any more than anyone else... I just don't think it's fair to compare it with a single player game.

Although, I really don't get why they're changing the graphic engine... are they planning to lower the graphical quality in order to make it more feasible for the PS3? I know the reason they've delayed the PS3 version so long is because there's just not enough RAM on the PS3 to run the game.

"The current maps in FFXIV are not only massive, but allow for seamless passage across wide expanses of the realm. In order to maintain this seamlessness, however, we were forced to heavily reuse assets, resulting in static, repetitive areas."

Tbh, the way they've worded this slightly annoys me too... and I would never have noticed if they didn't say anything about it... but then again, maybe I didn't play the game long enough for it become a noticeable problem.

I've gotten killed plenty of times because of walking into a new "zone" and the music not changing and new monsters spawning until I'm already a decent bit into the area. Music changes and all of a sudden mobs twice my level pop in all directions.

And yeah, the zones are repetitive. The area around Ul'dah has at least 7 or 8 of the same exact hill connecting high and low elevations, and the same land bridge right next to it in most cases. The Black Shroud is rather repetitive too.

I'll concede that they've made a lot of good changes from the beta last year, and I'm looking forward to what they have planned for next year, but it still doesn't come close to FFXI.