A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

• 3 weeks later...

Well, patch 1.21 finally hits today, bringing a new job system, chocobo gear, new dungeons, shittons of new gear, important revamps to cooking, alchemy, and crafting in general, and a bunch of other system updates. For those interested, here are the notes for said patch.

I'm pretty excited, as it seems that the game is starting to become more and more ambitious as time goes on. The addition of the job system now seems pretty brilliant. While they're much more defined roles and abilities, they lose a lot of the versatility that you might have while using a standard class. Right now it feels a lot like FFXII: International Zodiac Job System, with the job unlocking of FFT, and the level/skill progression of FFV.

Would love to get back into this. Stopped playing just a bit before around the time subscriptions were implemented.

MMO's are a tough sell for me. But I enjoyed this, more than I enjoyed my time with XI.

Or at least I enjoyed it when it was broken and it was easy to pick it up and play solo for an hour and make good progress.

Need a job to pay for it first though.

• 1 month later...

Damn, they're making it really hard to hold off playing. They have a Legacy campaign giving discounted subscription rates if you pay for 90 days now + an exclusive choco mount + a spot in the credits. Version 2.0 beta testing hasn't begun yet, has it?

Any new buzz around the game? I'm torn between choosing this and Guild Wars 2. As long as the servers are lively, I'll probably go with this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well I'm glad I'M not the one who scoured through the forums to revive this topic.

Yep, Final Fantasy XIV 1.0's end has finally come, and the Alpha test for A Realm Reborn is going smoothly from what the devs are saying. Beta should probably begin around end of November to mid-December.

Let's all pour one out for poor old Louisoix.

I've been waiting to get this game for PS3. But it looks like a lot has changed from launch. Before, I think the story went something like this:

There were 5ive island nations who were always in conflict with one another. At one point, some unknown force came and obliterated the largest of the nations, and then this mysterious force just left as quickly as it came. The nations then came together and formed an alliance because they recognized that they couldn't stand up to the unknown force alone. But mysteriously, they never came back. So all the soldiers that were once on standby didn't have anything to do. Now they are the adventurers of FF14.

Is this right? What do you think I would need to know when I eventually do get into this game? What has changed since then? In that trailer, was the meteor the returning of this mysterious force? And who exactly is that old man that looks like the Gran Kiltias Anastasis from FF12?

I know I'm asking a lot, but since this is going to be my first MMORPG, I want to go in prepared.

What do you think I would need to know when I eventually do get into this game?

come in the FF14 ARR (A Realm Reborn) with a fresh spirit and forget whatever you know from 1.0.

What has changed since then?

Job, Combos, 2.0 will handle better community better, a faster client/server rsponse etc. check the lodestone website for more info,.

In that trailer, was the meteor the returning of this mysterious force?

the force was ,if i recall well, sealed by the 12 gods (the same seal attempted in the ending video i linked) so yeah it's a sort of comeback.

And who exactly is that old man that looks like the Gran Kiltias Anastasis from FF12?

LOUISOIX, he was the guy that teleport you to guardian battle grounds.

I know I'm asking a lot, but since this is going to be my first MMORPG, I want to go in prepared.

Edited by Doulifée
*Fixing some misinformation.

Here's the gist of the story thus far:

In FFXIV 1.0, you're essentially playing a "prologue" of sorts in that all the major players in the story are being set up: Memphina and the Order of The Twelve, gifted with powers supposedly born from the Twelve Gods of Eorzea, the three Grand Companies; The Maelstrom headed by the Admiral of Limsa Lominsa; The Twin Adders led by Gridania's elder seeress, Kan-Ee-Sena; The Immortal Flames, helmed by Rahbaun Aldin, one of the 6 members of Ul'dah's governing Syndicate, Cid Garlond, high engineer of Garlond Ironworks and traitor to the Garlean Empire. You also have two Legatus of the XIV Legions of The Garlemaid Empire: Nael Van Darnus The White Raven, and Gaius Von Balsar The Black Wolf.

This is in addition to the somewhat hostile-yet-not-really-but-really beast tribes: The secluded mountain engineers/mountain bandits, the Kobolds; The flying scourge of The Black Shroud, the Ixali, and the desert dwellers, the Amal'ja. There are also other tribes such as the Sahagin, the Sylphs, Goblins, Ququrin, etc, but these play minimal roles save for the Sahagin as magical McGuffins for now. Each of these tribes worship a different primal, whom the Garlean Empire fears as "Eikons which include Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, Leviathan, etc.

Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 deals with the open hostilities between beast tribes, the lore behind the Garlean Empire, and the coming destruction brought on by Nael Van Darnus' plot to bring down Dalamud, an ancient relic space station(or so we all thought) of the Allaghan civilization, and the coming "end times" in the form of the 7th Umbral Era. In the latest patches, we were introduced to Louisoix, leader of the "Archons" and the Circle of Knowing from the now destroyed city of Sharlayan, to assist in preparing Eorzea for its predestined fate.

Unfortunately as you can tell by that trailer, all was for naught: The prayers offered to the gods were ineffective, and as it stands, Dalamud was no ordinary space station, but rather a giant prison to keep a very specific ancient threat at bay: the great elder primal Bahamut, who promptly seared all of Eorzea with a Mega Flare amplified by the power of Dalamud's crashing into the land. All this while the Grand Companies were staging a final assault on the encroaching Garlean Empire in Mor Dhona, with the archons looking and praying on. Unfortunately it wasn't enough, and with his last ounce of strength, Louisoix sent as many adventurers(us) as he could presumably beyond "The Void, which is a place between dimensions hinted at through the lore, where we'll remain until the land is safe again. Content with doing all he could, he smiled as he welcomed his own death and died a martyr to his cause.

In terms of gameplay, Doulifee is right: Forget everything you know about 1.0. It's all out the window.

Everything they've been adding in the latest patches(including the job system) was worked in around the limits of the original engine, and will be redone and revamped.

Net code is being completely redone, and the alpha vids we've seen so far have more than 40 people running around on screen with next to no visible network lag. The godsdammed input lag is completely erased from existence, the areas are being completely redone to be much more unique, basic MMO functionality is being added, like auction houses, and a pretty elaborate housing system for one.

They're also adding a new class and job; Arcanist and Summoner, where the former will be in the game at release with the latter being added in a patch shortly afterwards.

The two largest pieces of end game content being touted at release is the Crystal Tower and the Labyrinth of Bahamut, with who knows what else following that. Of course dungeons, quests, even leveling up and the battle system are being revamped, so I'm starting fresh anyway. They're adding male miqo'tes and female Roegadyns as well, and a bunch of other things here and there.

The best thing to do is just check the lodestone. As of last night, the game has been shutdown until beta, and then 2.0 official launch, which could be anywhere from March to July of next year.

• 1 month later...

I've been spending a lot of time at a specific linkshell's forum and I'll be joining them when version 2.0 comes out. But here's a question. The group uses a program called mumble which is like team-speak. In other words, what they do is use this secondary program to support voice chat among their group. Since I'll be getting the PS3 version, I'll have to have this program running while I play on the TV. I've been trying to get my wireless headset to connect to my computer but it won't work. I'm going to have to get a different one. Or use the laptop's onboard mic but I don't know if that one will have good enough quality. Keep in mind that I will be playing on PS3 so if I get a headset with a style like this one

tritton-axpro-gaming-headset-preview-20081111053929415-000.jpg

I wont be able to hear the game on the TV. What are your suggestions? Is there a way to send the audio from both the computer program and the ps3 to the same head set, or am I going to have to try a different solution.

I've been spending a lot of time at a specific linkshell's forum and I'll be joining them when version 2.0 comes out. But here's a question. The group uses a program called mumble which is like team-speak. In other words, what they do is use this secondary program to support voice chat among their group. Since I'll be getting the PS3 version, I'll have to have this program running while I play on the TV. I've been trying to get my wireless headset to connect to my computer but it won't work. I'm going to have to get a different one. Or use the laptop's onboard mic but I don't know if that one will have good enough quality. Keep in mind that I will be playing on PS3 so if I get a headset with a style like this one

tritton-axpro-gaming-headset-preview-20081111053929415-000.jpg

I wont be able to hear the game on the TV. What are your suggestions? Is there a way to send the audio from both the computer program and the ps3 to the same head set, or am I going to have to try a different solution.

Ever wonder why on your audio there's the blue input/output named "Line in" a lot of the times? I've run game audio into the PC using that before, and I'm guessing it should be possible with the mic port, too (not sure if stereo). You'll probably need some sort of audio adapter to take it from RCA to the 1/8" jack, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-YRA154-Stereo-Female/dp/B000068O51/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355349825&sr=8-4&keywords=RCA+to+1%2F8%22

You can use your standard AV cable on your PS3 to output audio while video stays on HDMI or whatever. I forget where in settings that all is....

Hope that helps. :)

I've been trying to figure out a way to get tv to audio output to my laptop and I'm thinking that it doesn't have that ability. I've got a strange setup in mind that would work, but I'm going to need some very specific adapters that I don't know the name to. That means I'm going to need your help to get their names. First, I'm going to need one of these.

splitter_zps97175abd.png

Anyone know what it's called?

And one of these

41JGQR4TJML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Have one so don't worry about it.

And I'm going to need one of these except opposite. Instead of two inputs, I need two outputs. I've seen one somewhere before, but can't seem to find one. Is there a specific name for it?

mini_audio.png

And finally, I'm going to need a headset that isn't usb, but rather uses the audio and mic mini input to get it to work. Does anyone know if USB or audio/mic jack has better quality? I'd really appreciate the help.