A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Square needs this. For far too long they've been operating under the mindset of "We're Square, we make Final Fantasy. Everyone loves us and we can do no wrong and people will buy whatever we put out. We could release a bag of dogshit with the words "Final Fantasy" scribbled on it with sharpie and it will be adored by our fans. We don't need outside input from anyone, not even those who actually do care about our games. Fuck them. Fuck everyone who isn't us. WE ARE THE BEST. HOORAY SQUARE!"

Fuck Square. Fuck Wada. Fuck Nomura.

so if it won't be "fixed" by the scrapped march 2011 ps3 release how long do they think people will wait for the "improved" game?

2012?

...2013?

I agree with Nekofrog

SE just disregarded the players and did their own thing

now they are trying to save a sinking ship.

Sinking so badly that the CEO had to openly apologize to shareholders.

Him basically saying "Yeah it's shit but we are trying to fix it" doesn't boost confidence much.

Edited by Coyote-Trickster

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2010/121010a.html

I don't know. What do you guys think? I've still never played an MMO but according to all the reviews of the PC version, FF14 is the worst MMO ever.

Is it really ALL Hiromichi Tanaka's fault? They said that he "fell on his sword" and took full responsibility but isn't it really that Square didn't give him enough time to make it good in the first place? It's just hard to believe that the reason is that Tanaka didn't have the right ideas or didn't know what he was doing.

FFXI was fine since MMOs were still fairly new, simple as it may sound, WoW wasn't out yet so that comparison couldn't be made and people who did play MMOs were generally happy with whatever they could get. FFXI was a good MMO for FF fans, to oversimplify, it was like a Final Fantasy EverQuest, and back then, that was good enough.

Years later, in a world of countless MMOs of varying degrees of success, FFXIV was launched way too early, and SE is paying for it. I still have every intention of going back eventually, but I removed my payment options for now, which ironically, has not mattered so far since the free trial has been extended 3 times, and now permanently extended until they "get the game into a state they are satisfied with."

I completely agree with the idea that SE thought the Final Fantasy name was invincible and has now had it proven in no uncertain terms that that is not the case, they can't just shit on a game and except it to do well, and now they have finally learned this. I think it's a good move on their part to not charge monthly fees yet, and it does give me a little more faith that they are taking the relative failure of the game so far seriously, as someone who would like to return and enjoy themselves in FFXIV at some point. I still see a lot of things in it that I liked, to the point where I almost want to log in right now, and I imagine I will only want to return more as more updates roll in.

Edited by ZealPath

Good to hear. It takes a lot of recognized humility and quite a big hit to your pride to admit you did something wrong (in this case, shafting your fan base), especially considering the size of their franchise. Bravo for taking the high road, Square, and not hiding behind your mistakes.

I can only hope they become better for it.

Square needs this. For far too long they've been operating under the mindset of "We're Square, we make Final Fantasy. Everyone loves us and we can do no wrong and people will buy whatever we put out. We could release a bag of dogshit with the words "Final Fantasy" scribbled on it with sharpie and it will be adored by our fans. We don't need outside input from anyone, not even those who actually do care about our games. Fuck them. Fuck everyone who isn't us. WE ARE THE BEST. HOORAY SQUARE!"

Fuck Square. Fuck Wada. Fuck Nomura.

This really describes the whole Japanese games industry, and the JRPG genre in particular, quite well.

This really describes the whole Japanese games industry, and the JRPG genre in particular, quite well.

Regarding this statement, I can't help but think that it's because the JRPG genre has been seeping into the otaku culture for a long while now, and we all know how that goes.

Back on the subject of FFXIV, well goddamnit. It's pretty much impossible for me to give SE the benefit of the doubt anymore. As much as I enjoy the core ideas of what's there, they botched it. I'm still playing on and off, which I probably wouldn't were it not for the "indefinite" free trail extension.

The series has thrived off introducing new blood in the past with stuff like FFVI and FFVII, so maybe it's just time for Tanaka to go the way of Sakaguchi and leave things be. Hopefully things will pick up. While I'm not sure I'm totally cool with the transparency of their business practices, it seems like SE is definitely trying to salvage it.

Now someone fire Wada.

It's a combination of modern-day Square and an MMO. Both of which are terrible things.

The problem is SE in general. To quote Lordkat: "They've become too Japanese for the Japanese market." They're hopelessly out of touch with the current gaming market and are horribly inefficient when it comes to designing games; building an engine solely for one game is both expensive and time-consuming, and could stand to use pre-established engines to work off of. It would cut down on development time by a great deal, no longer needing the 3-5 years to develop ONE game that ends up being fairly lackluster and underwhelming (see FF13).

FF 14 was a train wreck before it got started, and I don't foresee it staying around for more than a year, two at most. It will be unsurprising if it goes the way of Age of Conan.

But hey, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I kind of WANT to see SE do badly and do a total restructuring, getting new blood in there and trying different styles and tactics like they did in the PSX era. Bringing back that grand, sweeping style of excellent fantasy games, instead of The Breakfast Club: Now With Swords.

I think the last MMO I played was Diablo 2 way back in high school. I dunno. I did enjoy a lot of aspects about FFXIII, but I thought it was an obvious surpassing of graphics in lieu of game play. I really liked how in the more open areas they gave it a grand feeling of nature with animals running around and what have you, but the almost total absence of civilization? That really killed a lot of it for me. Regretfully I don't see that changing any time soon. I find they spend too much time trying to make it look prettier than other games.

What I think they ought do is look at the more monumental games in the franchise and consider what they'd done right with them. I mean. Christ. The demand to remake FFVII alone should be a clue enough on where to look.

• 2 months later...

I don't know a single person who still plays, though, for the record, there have been a lot of supposedly good updates. In fact, when I briefly glanced at the most recent update notes they were so long that I couldn't be bothered to read them since I'm not playing and am not sure when I will again. You still don't have to pay a monthly fee, so there is that.

I'm going to be starting Rift next week otherwise I would probably take another look at FFXIV soon. From what I understand a great deal of the changes are still on the way, and what you have now is sort of a transitional phase between canning some of the more annoying, unwelcomed features, and phasing in the some completely new systems, with more drastic changes to come..

I'm still playing on and off, although for the most part I'm busy playing other things(like MvC3) while waiting for the game to be up to speed. If you want to see my thoughts on the game as is right now, just hit eorzeapedia.com and check out the gendisc forums there. I'm usually in active discussions all the time.

haha, I post there, mainly to argue with the die hard fanboys though.....

I still play on Selbina, low level still as I am on weekends at most for short periods of time.

After watching a bit of FF14 at a friend's house (= 1 or 2 days per week for the last 3 months) I get the feeling that it has not even remotely anything to do with Final Fantasy.

The way I see it, you could put "Random MMO Game Title" in there as well, as I for myself see nothing special or really worthwhile about it.

FFXI at least had a charme, at least for me, by adapting archetype MMO classes into classic FF jobs. I think they did a good job providing a Final Fantasy setting in FFXI. Whilst FF14 - as i said - just seems like any random MMO to me.

Dunno, that's how I see things.