OCR01098 - Doom "demonik electronik"

djpretzel

I arrived at this site yesterday by word of John Romero. I listened to this remix and I knew I was gonna hang out for a while.

I really liked this remix, I think it's a little slow for fragfests and like someone else said it's a little too clean. Nevertheless the groove is very hypnotic and the basslines has got to be one of the juiciest basslines I've heard (right next to "Synapse" :wink: ).

Congratulations again for a work well done.

• 3 months later...

The Eight Infernal Names! ALL RIGHT! Now I can open that portal to Hell!

But seriously. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but ever since The Dark Side of Phobos launched, I've been checking out the other DOOM remixes on the site. So far I've only listened to N-JekteD's Purgatory and this. And I am far from dissapointed. This is awesome stuff. I will agree with the collective. The "incantation", as I like to call it, is reminiscent of something out of German goth metal. Which fits in perfectly with the musical style as well as compliments the piece's hellish inspirer. It creates an ideal atmosphere. Great job.

You know, it's a well known fact that we Omega men stick pretty close. And though I generally find TO's comments spiking the nail in the face, I have to roll with NeOmega on this one.

Rammstein remixed by NIN into a swirly dark chocolate.

Well composed and executed, as usual...so I'll save the praise...you know it's great.

I think the track knows it's purpose, but there were a few things that I think (in my humble un-remixing opinion) that could have upped the stakes on this one.

Namely, dropping the cute tickles and maybe adding some haunting choruses (deep demonic basses or shrill siren-esque sopranos)...that, or some face-busting orchestral strings...that, or actually finding a way to infuse the listed demons into the track...

...now wouldn't that be keen...

Mick

• 4 months later...

I've been going to this site for a long time and this has always been my favorite remix, and now that I've finally gotten around to stop being lazy I knew that this would have to be the first remix I commented on because it's that good. This remix has inspired me to listen to Rammstien because someone commented on it and mentioned that it sounded like Rammstien so i fugure there was a whole band that did music like this remix that I loved so much. It's even inspired me to write an epic novel of tolkienesque proportions. I believe that if OCR ever makes some kind of hall of awsomeitude this should be the very first remix to grace it's golden pixels.

Rammstein remixed by NIN into a swirly dark chocolate.

Well I am a huge fan of industrial music, (like enough to name off a bunch of obscure bands no-one has heard of as my favorites.... Hocico, Wumpscut, Kevorkian Death Cycle...) so um, I know what Rammstein sounds like, I always wanted to get back and say, "yuh-huh, it does too sound like Rammstein, anyone who has heard alot of Rammstein knows it does!!!"

Thanks for backing me up.

Anyways... yeah, everytime I hear it, I still think Rammstein, and I still think it plays really well, and still sounds great, and everytime I hear it I get an itch to get back to these forums and post "yuh huh!!"... now that itch has been scratched... :P

• 1 year later...

Did you put that extremely harsh and annoying screeching sound at the start of demonik electronik just to get on peoples nerves? now i'm not talking **** or anything but I like that song I alot but I'm afraid to double click it because of that sound. I have to fast foward it everytime. >_<

• 4 months later...

sounds like an old nine inch nails sound study with added spoken demon evocations. Do not expect something that in any way resembles Rammstein, as has been stated before. The whole thing is bland, at times feels detached through pointlessness. Still, a good example of that the judges do not mess with taste, because otherwise this could not have passed: technically there is nothing wrong with it, but I also see no reason besides nostalgia why one would want to hear this.

Still, a good example of that the judges do not mess with taste, because otherwise this could not have passed: technically there is nothing wrong with it, but I also see no reason besides nostalgia why one would want to hear this.

There's no way this would have been passed just because it's "competent." Just because you personally didn't enjoy it, don't extrapolate that to how djpretzel or the staff viewed the mix. You'd be absolutely wrong.

• 1 year later...

A lot of synths sound like acids going through chemical reactions: fizzy, bubbly, and carbonated, releasing gaseous by-products in the interim. It's like I'm witnessing a chemistry experiment in hell/on Mars, where Marine flesh gets devoured by the poisonous waters not unlike sugar getting raped by sulfuric acid. Other effects are equally curious, like the tone-and-volume-guided gatings starting at 0:31 or the hyper RPMs during the 8-bit break. And for some reason - I don't know why - some of the muted synths make me picture black wings or a black cape flapping ominously, particularly during the demonic roll calls and after the brief silence halfway through.

It's definitely sly, intimidating, and darkly transmogrifying like an incubus.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

It does indeed sound very much like NIN. I mention this because this song just came up on shuffle on my mp3 player today, and now it's on my "I should make a mashup out of this song" list. Watch this space! ;)

(Also, yes, it is in fact quite a great remix. But you already knew that.)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Vocal hate? A victim is me!

Kidding of course, I don't mind in the slightest. In fact I would be happy to provide you guys with an instrumental mix of this, however after 10 years, and I can hardly believe it's been that long, the project files have no doubt collected a prohibitive amount of cobweb; I wouldn't have the hours necessary to sort it out and bounce anything.

Thanks for the kind words, though.

cheers.

• 6 months later...

The thing that would be of far more interest to me if you still have the original is a FLAC (or equivalent) copy of this. That would be completely fantastic. Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease? Absolutely love the track (although most D/A converters make the opening a bit harsh)!

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01098 - Doom "demonik electronik"
  • 1 year later...

one of those tunes never forgotten. this was formative years for me. this was released just about the time i started making music for real.

about the incantations, the last two still sound as 'kumbaya', 'rastamon' to me. i think that's just awesome.

i love how this shifts a couple notes and thus transforms it all into pop. it's all in the original, it just took a couple notes.

talking theory, the minor/major seventh embellishment in the melody is incredible. it's the same in the original, but only in this tune it becomes something special. i haven't heard it elsewhere.

whole thing is what remixing is about