Zelda Wii

Subz1987

IGN just posted on their blog a Roundtable discussion with Shigeru Miyamoto, and one of the things he revealed is a new Zelda game utilizing the WiiMotion Plus.

7:05 p.m.: "There are people who think of Zelda more as an RPG with simpler controls, so trying to figure out how to make everybody happy is something that's going to concern me," says Miyamoto.

7:05 p.m.: "Think of Zelda while you're trying some of the archery and sword play in Wii Sports Resort," Miyamoto say.

7:04 p.m.: "We'd like to make it compatible with Wii MotionPlus. It's quite possible it will be playable only with Wii MotionPlus."

7:03 p.m.: Shows new illustration for the next Zelda for Wii. Nothing to show yet, but it shows an adult link. More grown up than ever before.

6:57 p.m.: He reiterated that Spirit Tracks has a lot of train travel in it.

6:55 p.m.: The phantom runs through a fire that Link cannot access and slides across a trigger point to turn off the flames.

6:54 p.m.: First, he's looking at a standard dungeon. One of the phantoms is on the stage. Link is going to use the character to help him solve puzzles.

First Super Mario Galaxy 2, then a new Metroid, and now Zelda Wii. I think Nintendo at E3 pwned pretty hard.

Nintendo pwned nothing at E3. They coasted through just an AWFUL conference that was 90% casual and 10% core. What they did show core-wise was great, but the amount of it was very little.

Really, no one "pwned" anyone or anything this year so far. MS showed off a fancy motion tracking system that may very well be complete vaporware, Sony barely showed off their own version of the same thing, everybody showed off videos of games we were expecting, and the few that we weren't expecting at all are mildly surprising at best.

This has to be the most boring E3 to date. A couple of years ago, it was exciting to watch the conferences. This year, I got up and took a shower during the MS on, fell asleep during the Nintendo, and made lunch during the Sony one.

Looking forward to seeing that pic of Link.

More grown up = link with a Beard!

This.

Seriously, if Metal Gear Solid can pull off an Old Snake and make it awesome, then why the hell can't Nintendo make an Old (or even Middle Aged) Link. I'd like to get to play as an actual ADULT Link, not Link the 17 year old schmuck.

Link with facial hair and a slightly more built physique would be pretty cool.

But then he'd no longer be a prettyboy elf thing and the fanrage would incinerate the planet.

Umm..I wasn't thinking a bulked up, testosterone enhanced warrior with a beard like LeChuck. I'm pretty sure they could make him good looking with age still. Again, see Solid Snake(ish).

I dunno, I had this whole theory of doing a Zelda game during one of the major hylian wars in the series, making Link a sort of wandering swordsman who creates the Knights of Hyrule at some point, and make the gameplay itself in many ways the same. Only instead of going into temples to find new items, solve puzzles, and drive darkness out of the general area, you attack large enemy fortresses/strongholds and do the exact same thing, with minor alterations to the frame. All the while, the world map is one large conflict going on constantly and thus, you're constantly on your toes. In this way, I'm sure they could also improve on all that fancy horseback combat that they made such a big deal in the original but which wasn't that exciting.

I like where the Metroid series may be taking its narrative and it would be cool to see Zelda take a similar route. Because in many ways, I think Twilight Princess was a lot of fan service on the story telling front and something needs to be done to put it in a new direction and extend the fiction a little more.

/end tirade and brainstorm

I think that in general the Nintendo press conference was ass, but their offerings to the core at e3 were pretty good. I never got to play Mario Galaxy, but if Galaxy 2 is some sort of definitive version like Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES was, then color me excited. Metroid Other M seems to be pretty exciting as well along with the Metroid Anthology for the Wii, and now a new Zelda Wii game?

Hmm... Things are looking good.

Really, no one "pwned" anyone or anything this year so far. MS showed off a fancy motion tracking system that may very well be complete vaporware, Sony barely showed off their own version of the same thing, everybody showed off videos of games we were expecting, and the few that we weren't expecting at all are mildly surprising at best.

I'm sick of hearing everybody asking, "Who won E3?" Honestly, that has got to be the biggest bunch of flame-bait (not to mention stupid) thing to ask. It's a trade show, always has been. I never really watched much of the past E3 shows, some of it, not all of it. I'll usually watch Nintendo's show, simply because that's the system I own, and there's usually something I want to see in it.

Microsoft and Sony cashing in on what Nintendo's done, that's not really surprising. Could they do it better? Absolutely.

Yeah, Nintendo's show this year was not the best of the three (but nowhere near as bad as last year), IF we're making comparisons here. But as The Damned put it, I don't think they really out classed each other.

Nintendo catering to casual market AGAIN?!, big deal :roll:. Though I do want Endless Ocean 2, Wii Fit Plus (GASP!), Sports Resort(DOUBLE GASP!), and the "core" titles.

Only the whiniest "hardcore" gamers would complain when Nintendo shows new Mario and Metroid footage, announces and shows a sequel to a beloved series fans have been waiting six years for a sequel to, and talks about what the next Zelda will be about. This is about as good as it gets short of plopping the games right in our laps right away.

And like Toadofsky, I look forward to Endless Ocean 2 and Wii Sports Resort. It'll be great to play those with my niece.

Only the whiniest "hardcore" gamers would complain when Nintendo shows new Mario and Metroid footage, announces and shows a sequel to a beloved series fans have been waiting six years for a sequel to, and talks about what the next Zelda will be about. This is about as good as it gets short of plopping the games right in our laps right away.

And like Toadofsky, I look forward to Endless Ocean 2 and Wii Sports Resort. It'll be great to play those with my niece.

Exactly. They whine soo much, but don't they realize the majority of the games at E3 this year that were announcements, were sequels? Sure, I'm eager to play Mass Effect 2, I'd like to try out Natal. I'm not gonna lie, I'd love to see brand new games and franchises. But now in the state the economy is, I don't think that's gonna happen a whole lot.

Everyone in gaming journalism/gaming knows that Nintendo is very conservative of it's games, and will stick with what they know. Rarely do they ever really venture that far out. Sure these past few years they have, but hey, it's paid off for them, they are a business after all.

I don't really know of any other game companies that can say they have several franchises under their belt from the past 20 years, and said franchises remain enjoyable and as recognizable. Of course, the latter can be debated by many.

It's funny, I know many different people that have never been that much into games, that have been playing now. There's a lady at my Kingdom Hall, she used to play A LOT of games years ago, and had some serious skill at Tekken 2, became madly addicted to Sims (she had to give that one up), but after having to take care of her dad (was an Alzheimer's victim died about a year ago unfortunately), had to ditch games. I've been telling her news about some games, and games I've been playing lately on it, kind of keeping her in the know of what to get, what to avoid, etc...

I loved Endless Ocean and also look forward to the new one. Seems you'll actually be in "danger" if you get too near the more dangerous animals like gators and sharks. Definitely looks cool though (Amazon diving seems like a lot of fun)

This has to be the most boring E3 to date. A couple of years ago, it was exciting to watch the conferences. This year, I got up and took a shower during the MS on, fell asleep during the Nintendo, and made lunch during the Sony one.

I think I'm one of the few who was pleased with the offerings at E3 this year, haha. Left 4 Dead 2, MGS 5, another MGS game that might push me into buying a PSP, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, that Mario Vs Donkey Kong for DSiWare, etc. There were a lot of new announcements I'm excited for, and that's all that really matters for me from E3.

Looking forward to info on the new Zelda Wii game.

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, the story setting for this Zelda is, of course, in a completely different era and Link is older than he was previously. More approaching adulthood. There is one hint. Maybe from the art work you can see that he's not holding a sword.

IGN: Has he lost his Master Sword?

Shigeru Miyamoto: [Laughing] I just wanted to make sure that you understand we are making it. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.