Monkey Island is BACK, baby!

The Pezman

What, a new game announcement not from E3?

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-458

I'm not sure whether anyone else here is familiar with Telltale Games. I played both seasons of Sam & Max, and Strong Bad and Wallace and Gromit are in the queue. However, this completely knocks my socks off. MI is perhaps the most well-known adventure game series of all time, and though I'm not crazy about LeChuck's and the Voodoo Lady's new look, I'm very confident about Telltale handling this property.

The Secret of Monkey Island is also being remade with awesome new graphics and voice acting. Presumably, new puzzles will be there too.

In related news, Ron Gilbert is finishing up his new game at Hothead Games.

Shwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

This new Telltale team is actually loads of old LucasArts guys. The same guys that gave us the old MI games.

And they've even got Michael Land on board!! Such an awesome composer!!!

Guybrush looks like a total douchebag. And I'm not that impressed with the look of the other characters and design in general either. The real curse of the Monkey Island must be 3D-graphics. For me, they really nailed the design, feel and characters of the series in MI3, and everything after that (yeah, basically MI4 - yuck) has felt strange and off, including the new design. I usually don't pay too much attention on graphics etc. but in Monkey Island series the audiovisual experience is a really big part of the game, atleast for me. The design, the way the characters look and stuff like that. It was perfect in MI3. Dang, that game still looks/sounds like a big budget cartoon movie, even with the small screen resolution.

Of course, as a huge MI fan I have to check this out, but at the moment I'm not that hyped about this. But yeah, I'm probably just wrong and its gonna kick ass. So yay!

Anyone else remember those Disney movies they turned into series that kind of sucked?

Yeah...

I agree with Evilhead and I'll take it further. I'd say that for most of the Lucas Arts point and click adventure games, a vivid and interesting visual style was very key to the overall experience of the game. This thing looks pretty bad.

It has the old MI team, so that might save it, but otherwise yeah...

Totally grabbing The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition though.

Threepwood has always had the same voice actor, including these new games

Oh for real?! Hahaha. I thought it sounded quite similar. I guess I just felt that way because I've actually played MI4 but not these new ones. I saw a gameplay video for the MI1 remake. It looks so nice. It sounded like when they added voice acting, they didn't change a single word of the original's script. Nor did they need to.

It sounded like when they added voice acting, they didn't change a single word of the original's script. Nor did they need to.

QFT

The Monkey Island games have been among the best written games I've ever played, and among the funniest. I bet the Loom pin pirate is gonna be a little outdated if that stays exactly the way it was in the good old days. :D

• 3 months later...

NECRO THREAD HIJACK BUMP

If anyone still hasn't played Tales of Monkey Island yet, you can download and install chapter 1 for the low cost of free from about 37 minutes ago up till Sunday Sep. 19 12:00am PDT, courtesy of International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

EDIT: Turns out, for the people who already have chapter 1, you an download any one chapter of the game you choose for free instead.