Beginners and others * Please read before Posting *

it has a piano roll, which should be close enough to actual score notation for your whiney little tastes. BITCH

jk

Seriously, FL has the easiest curve of any mixing program I've ever used. For a beginner, I highly recommend it.

See, that was a nice answer. I really do appreciate it. Thanks. However, the Piano Roll is beyond me. Apparently I suck. Anyway, methinks I'm just going to continue composing in Sibelius...

Piano roll = Ace, once you get to know it. It makes sense, what with the length of the note being how long it plays for, and having the testing piano on the left so you can see what each note sounds like, and then note properties on the bottom. It just makes sense. Once you learn how to use it, you shall see how it gives you so much power when composing on the computer. One problem is that you can't see what all your channels are doing at once, which could suck if you werre doing full on orchestra stuff... but if you are FL may not be the best choice for you.

Piano roll = Ace, once you get to know it. It makes sense, what with the length of the note being how long it plays for, and having the testing piano on the left so you can see what each note sounds like, and then note properties on the bottom. It just makes sense. Once you learn how to use it, you shall see how it gives you so much power when composing on the computer. One problem is that you can't see what all your channels are doing at once, which could suck if you werre doing full on orchestra stuff... but if you are FL may not be the best choice for you.

Or better yet, a soundcard with low latency and MIDI keyboard!

OH SNAP!

lol, piano roll's a bit overrated.

why does it seem that music mixing software tends to have very little to do with actual music notation?

that kind of thinking bothers me, so i will answer you.

terms:

humans = musicians

machines = synthesizers, samplers, and other digital instruments

lesson:

- music notation is made for humans.

- machines do not understand notation. if you're writing music for machines, it needs to be in a protocol they understand: MIDI.

- representations like piano rolls and event editors translate to MIDI easily.

- music notation does not translate to MIDI easily, the notation has to be intepreted in a number of ways.

any questions?

]

Or better yet, a soundcard with low latency and MIDI keyboard!

OH SNAP!

lol, piano roll's a bit overrated.

It's not overrated at all. No one's saying it's THE BEST; if they are, they're dumb. It's one method of many to input notes, but it's not a bad one in the least.

trust me, when you've been to a handful of forums where you have multiple posting stuff like "fruityloops piano roll is bloody awesome for producing some phat ch00ns," especially when (hopefully) there are better alternatives, it annoys me greatly. Maybe it's just the British slang online. I don't even know.

But recording MIDI beats manual sequencing anyday, assuming that you have low latency.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hullo! Perfect newbzorz here! Don't eat me!

I was wondering if anyone on these forums has heard of or tried Melody Assistant and Gold Sound Base, and if they could tell me how successful they have found it to be for making remixes. I have been using it for over a year now to write original music, but I am not sure if this site would consider it final-production-quality material for submissions. My budget demands that that and live recordings of my various woodwind instruments are my only options for mixing... opinions?

• 3 weeks later...