Super Mario Bros Retro Enlightenment WIP

NeonHyena

http://rapidshare.com/files/241114601/NeonHyena_-_Retro_Enlightenment_WIP.mp3.html

^ Link to file will apparently only allow (10) downloads.

What's the best place to post these files on? First time submission of anything to this site.

Pointers on the song are of course the whole point of this, but if anyone cares to direct me to good resources, guides, any help for FL Studio, it would be much appreciated.

I had planned on changing this, and have been listening to it on my playlist a lot as is. My gut says it can be shortened.

Thanks guys (and girls).

Learn. Improve. Share. Collaborate. Just getting started? Read up on submitting, check our tutorials, and get some feedback. @

http://www.ocremix.org/workshop

as for storage i use mediafire.com, but there is a scratch space here at ocr for wip's also.

as for the recording, i love what you have done so far arrangement wise. lots of original content ;). the bass is a bit much, i would tone it down. would you be willing to scrap it completely and go realistic bass? i'd guess you will have people saying it's too long, but i think this song should be at least 4mins, especially considering the slow tempo. but i would still make the last minute or two more interesting. i would also add some dynamic volume swells and panorama changes. waiting for v2...

-geven

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ztmmnmjc1kd

^ New link for hopefully unlimited downloading

NOT NEW VERSION! Still V1.

Thanks for the comments, Gevin. I agree that I should add something to the last few minutes to spice it up. I will work on that for sure.

I have no problem with the idea of scrapping the synth bass I have for a bass guitar, and doing so would be quite simple the way that I have the song laid out. However, I'm fond of the hard crunchy synth for that 'Underground BGM' feel. I will work on reducing the tone of it, and maybe I'll try playing around with a compromise as well.

So, things to be worked on this weekend:

-Add more to the last 2 minutes to allow that section to stand out from earlier parts.

-Change the bass.

Thanks very much for the comments (and compliments).

And I forgot to post the "lyrics" (vocoded and hard to understand)

"Star of wonder and might shine,

Down on flowers with light lines."

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=91cb87ffbac31c6224a64199ac7f73e5e04e75f6e8ebb871

^ Above is the link to V2 of Retro Enlightenment (retitled)

I changed out the synth bass for a more traditional bass, but left in the synth with a more minimal use. I added panning to all (or most) of the different instruments. I changed out the main string refrain for a wind. I changed A LOT. New melodies, especially in the last minute of the song.

Hopin' more people comment. I think this is unique and good, but maybe I'm being biased from having made it? If you like it, please let me know :-P

Haha, aside from signing your post, you sound like a wip board veteran, geven. :D

Okay, NH's track... The flute like synth has way too long attack and often clashes with the other melodies. I do like how the melody is barely recognizeable a lot of the time.

The bass is kind'a weird. Sometimes it's way too high, sometimes it's low and distorted. A lot of the other sounds suffer from similar problems. This stuff sounds pretty experimental, but I don't think that's gonna prevent it from getting on ocr.

What will be a problem if you're aiming for getting it posted on ocr is the mixing and sound design. I can't tell what's foreground and what's background, the mix is that messy. The many lofi synths don't really make it sound very good. It can be done well, but it needs to be mixed right for that to work, and I think this track would benefit more from more advanced synths.

It's also kind'a flat in terms of dynamics. Once it gets started, it just drones on. It just settling at an energy level and doesn't move anywhere for almost 2 minutes, from 3:00. While the arrangement is interesting, you could cut that section down to half it's length and it'd still feel repetitive. More changes in intensity. Soften it, make it rise, whatever, just do something.

Creative and certainly a fun interpretation, but the production aspect needs work. Your arrangement deserves to sound better that this. :P

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5ab00efc5ff89aa30f83d91f6dff7c38e04e75f6e8ebb871

Above link is to Version 3, created this weekend.

I basically took out a few melodies, and worked on others.

Rozovian, thank you for all of the advice. This version was created before I read your comment, so I will see what I can work on next.

I'll check around for FAQ's and guides, but are there any quick tricks on how to up the production quality of the song.

Glad you two enjoyed the experimentation and elaboration

• 3 months later...