OCR01100 - Final Fantasy VII "Internal Affliction"

djpretzel

Okay... I like the dark mood, and I have a weakness for complex piano lines. However, the ostinato (basic structure D-A-D'-Bb-G-A-Bg-G-A) continues throughout the entire four minutes. While its initial introduction lends incomparable power to the ambiance, the repitition seems to me to drag the piece down. I would have suggested mixing it up in any of the following ways:

- Bringing it to the fore in the mix again, with added complexity (flourishes, intermediate pitches between the main arrival points)

- Adding some modulations (standard ones, like taking it into C, F and/or Bb major, as opposed to D minor, and some more drastic, Wingless-style ones, like Ab).

Ostinato lines are all well and good, but longer ones work better than shorter ones. This one is only one measure and needs change to lend the piece direction.

Like this. Bear in mind that this is very basic, low quality, and merely a suggestion as far as how I would do it at one point in the song.

Also, some of the fills in the drum pattern irked me as well. The fill in the third bar of each phrase seemed to me that it would work better in the fourth bar. This is a minor, and probably personal, concern. I like the overall sound of the kit you used.

In all, this is solidly constructed. The occasional dissonance lends a more sinister aspect to the melancholy you've already established. Good show. Those were my only two concerns.

ditto, this has been a lot to follow, i notice a lot of differences from the original and this is just pure gold not to be on OCR. i had a hard time figuring out the newer versions and the changes made but this piece is really bad ass. when i get the speakers from my basement into my dorm i'll blast this one real loud along with a couple of other FF mixes until the cops come and yell at me...but congrats anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know what the hell I'm thinking of, using all this French. Anyway, this theme is very very low and mean. It feels like a scene in a movie where the bad guy prepares for the search, while the good guy prepares to fight and/or evade the bad guy. Most clearly, though, it feels like a lost theme from the great movie with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones, The Fugitive. It has that cat-and-mouse kind of feel to it, with undertones of misunderstood evil and completely understood evil warring with each other. Yet another calm-before-the-storm theme, just like the ones my grandpa used to play. Ok, he never did, but you can imagine what it'd be like if he did, right? No? Ok then. Moving on.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Kind of obvious that Sephfire´s first remix should be of Sephiroth.

To be his first, really astounding. At first I didn´t think that he would do a better remix that Above the Rising falls, but this one is close enough to be equally good. Great stuff, synths, strings, together with a real cool and good piano, my favorite.

Significant stuff, Sephdude.

• 1 year later...

First of all, I love this!

Now, forgive me if I'm mistaken, stating something painfully obvious, or it's already been said, but it sounds to me that the piano provides primarily "You Can Hear the Planet's Cry" while the low strings have taken over "Those Chosen By the Planet".

The two tracks make beautiful music together [if you'll forgive the pun,] and I'm surprised that this combination hasn't been done more. Maybe the other mixers are afraid to take on your mix? I know I would be if I were a mixer.

Anyway, there's a constant light-vs-dark sound that makes me wish there had been more interaction between Aerith and Sephiroth. Dark, but light at the same time, if that makes sense. :) It's actually a very relaxing mix to listen to. A job well done, in my opinion.

• 10 months later...

This remix never really takes off. The first seconds are impressive, promising a very interesting remix, but then the song fails to deliver, staying unprecise without being decidedly ambient, with too much of the piano layer, even though this is varied quite nicely in itself in details. Still, with not much to listen to, this song does not interest me.

• 2 months later...

It's pretty cool to see some of the more "recognizable" OCR artists' debut tracks, and Sephfire's first is no exception. It has an overall more atmospheric feel to it than what i'd normally expect from him, but is laid out pretty well.

It does tend to establish a mood and then stay there, rather than continue to evolve, but it works very well as background music. The piano and pads form a solid backing texture and sharp distorted synths poke out to emphasize chord changes. The beat itself is generally subdued, but still contains energy.

Not nearly as exciting or expansive as his more recent stuff, but still well worth a listen.

This mix just weirds me out when I listen to it now. Not only is it my first amateur attempt at remixing, but I hadn't figured out my sound by this point, so it doesn't sound like me to me. I can listen to my KH remix and think "ah, that's when I started figuring things out." But this one just baffles me. It feels very familiar, and yet foreign at the same time. I'm sure a lot of other remixers probably feel the same way about their first attempts at music.

• 1 year later...

Very cool, very dark meditative beats. Nice atmospheric texture to the whole thing. In fact, for quite a while we seem to be traversing Doom territory, that is until that unmistakable Nobuo-ness comes in at around 0:56.

This mix reveals its hand quite early, and suffers a bit in pacing because of it, but that doesn't detract from some serious production with some real foreboding elements that stay true to the source. Awesome.

• 2 years later...

I liked elements of this, especially the atmosphere, but I always felt like there was something missing to keep it compelling. I didn't get the point of the weird guitar synth brought in in the second half - it was asking for attention but so buried as to seem like a background element. Didn't quite fit the mood either. Not bad a debut mix, but I get the sense Daniel didn't totally know how to express himself (of course, I get the benefit of reading his comment which says almost exactly that :razz:).

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01100 - Final Fantasy VII "Internal Affliction"