Scribblenauts for DS

Israfel

So has anyone been following this game? One of the developers posts on a forum that I read, and I mean seriously, everytime I see more about this game I'm just floored. The basic idea is that you're trying to collect this little star thingies and in order to do this you can summon just about anything (there are a few limits like no brand names, proper nouns or abstract concepts). And I mean for real, almost anything.

Some of the impressions coming out of E3 are flat-out ridiculous. Here's one from that same forum (NeoGAF, btw) that really captures the insane potential of this thing.

I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES.This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

So yeah. Honestly, games don't really amaze me. I've played so many games over such a long period of time that no amount of eye candy impresses me all that much. But man oh man does Scribblenauts amaze me.

I have a hypothesis for how Cthulu (or whomever) came to existence: it probably took each letter of that word, found a monster that has the first name of that particular letter, combined those monsters and VOILA! But... I don't see monsters being fused in this monster that fit the letters of that acronym that I can think of, nor do I care that much b/c I'm lazy. But, if that were so, it would have to be programmed in such a way that would respond to that situation with that much accuracy, randomness, and yet enough logical predictability.

This makes no sense. This game is really the Devil disguised in the form of a written code.

The coolness of a game is relative to the amount of smirking on the cover art.

Sonic_adventure_2.jpg

Hey man, let's go save the world, dude, fo rizzal!

Wait, what are the limitations of this game?

I'm just skeptical that it claims that "you can draw anything and WE'VE GOT IT!!!!!!". What if I want to draw something normal like a unicycle, but it doesn't have it? But it's got "moon" and "time machine", why would it have something relatively straightforward like unicycle.

Clearly I don't know the game well enough, I just saw like that short clip, but yeah. My first impressions.

Sonic_adventure_2.jpg

Hey man, let's go save the world, dude, fo rizzal!

Yo yo yo B-Boy, that shit's for REAL mothafucka! Shit! Bitch! Fuckin' ass and blat blat!

I'm just skeptical that it claims that "you can draw anything and WE'VE GOT IT!!!!!!". What if I want to draw something normal like a unicycle, but it doesn't have it? But it's got "moon" and "time machine", why would it have something relatively straightforward like unicycle.

Clearly I don't know the game well enough, I just saw like that short clip, but yeah. My first impressions.

They don't have stuff like "penis", but i get the feeling they covered everything. I mean, dl a couple dictionaries, set a team of people to cover everything over a period of time... it can be done!

I know. I found it a little odd that "invisibility cloak" would actually work as in it actually appeared to the player as a cloak that turned him invisible. If anything could be made like the "invisibility cloak", the possibilities really would be endless. No doubt.

I may buy the game, and if I do, I'd like to try solving a puzzle by typing in "robot lobster". I would like to see what would pop out.