New original - Dreams of Violet

Bren

• 3 weeks later...

I like this song. I get a good vibe listening to it. it actually sounds like it could be an S.S.H. song. though there a few things I would change. first offf, there isnt too much variety in the song, and mixed with the length of the track makes it very repeditive. the backing guitar adds a good harmony to the track, though I think it needs more rhythm. instead of just having the power chords hit once with sustain for every chord, have it palm mute 8 times for every chord. i think it would add some texture to the track. the guitars do sound very synthetic, though Im guessing you dont have a good sample library or a real guitar. the mix really lacks in the lower frequencies. especually when the lead comes in it feels like its screaching in my ears. I would tone down the lead for sure, and I think you should choose another synth for it. and I can hardly hear the bass drum! I think you need to really crank up the volume on the kick. one thing I would like to hear in the track is a lead guitar following the melody of the lead synth.

I think the track has potential, just keep working at it! :P

I like this song. I get a good vibe listening to it. it actually sounds like it could be an S.S.H. song. though there a few things I would change. first offf, there isnt too much variety in the song, and mixed with the length of the track makes it very repeditive. the backing guitar adds a good harmony to the track, though I think it needs more rhythm. instead of just having the power chords hit once with sustain for every chord, have it palm mute 8 times for every chord. i think it would add some texture to the track. the guitars do sound very synthetic, though Im guessing you dont have a good sample library or a real guitar. the mix really lacks in the lower frequencies. especually when the lead comes in it feels like its screaching in my ears. I would tone down the lead for sure, and I think you should choose another synth for it. and I can hardly hear the bass drum! I think you need to really crank up the volume on the kick. one thing I would like to hear in the track is a lead guitar following the melody of the lead synth.

I think the track has potential, just keep working at it! :P

I actually have a bit of a dilemma on the whole EQ thing. I've listened to it through my USB headphones, my desktop speakers and my ipod. The speakers and ipod sound good, but the USB sounds, as you said, piercing in the upper frequencies...So, I'm not really sure what to go with, aside from comparing it to other songs I have on my comp.

I definitely could bring out the bdrums a bit more, and vary up the drumline + some other stuff.

What exactly is a palm mute? The guitar playing power chords (well actually all of them) are samples or synths. I'm not sure what a palm mute sounds like exactly, but I think I have an idea.

And on the sample for the lead, it's actually the exact sound I envisioned for this particular mix.

I would trust your usb headphones. sounds like you need a good pair of studio monitors though. thats what they're meant for, to sound good on everything. and my monitors are telling me that the high frequencies are way to strong. :P

look up voxengoSPAN on google. its a free equalizer thats preatty damn acurate. it doesnt change the frequencies but it helps you monitor them, so you can see the areas you need to fix. try and make the frequencies a little more level. when Im looking at the track through voxengo it shows that you have some strong frequency spikes from around 2 - 5 khz, and a drop in the mid range.

as for the palm mute, it sounds to me like your using the slayer synth? well if you are, on it has a knob that says damp. that knob trys to replicate the sound of a palm mute. in the future though, I would definately upgrade from that synth guitar to a good sample software like prominy LPC or even real strat...

and if the lead sounds the way you want it to sound then thats whats most important! :D

if your still having trouble with the guitars you can send me over the midi and I can help you out with them ;D