Charting Worlds and Taking Names WIP [Mass Effect]

Hello, everybody! :D

img.php?fid=157

This is a mix of the music from the galaxy map you pull up when you want to travel to other systems. It's a really small piece of music, but more than anything else in that game, I find it really evocative. I didn't want to just reproduce an extended version of the same song, though, because it's great the way it is already. Hopefully you can still hear the main theme in there...Please let me know if it needs emphasizing, because I still want to be true to the song. Any other crits would be great as well.

Here's the track I'm covering, if you're wondering.

Loving the sound of this. The bass is awesome, and everything is loud.

My main issue is there are sections where repeated melodies get a little stale (which is what seems to be my general issue with a lot of WIPs). In the original I think it worked well because there's a sort of that "lost in space" chill vibe to it, and it helps you zone out, but here you're going for something a bit more in-your-face. An example: at :51 when you introduce that melody w/guitar. After the fourth measure, You could try messing with automation to cause subtle changes in the timbre of the guitar or something, to keep it interesting. Or, you could do something original with it, or add another instrument doing counterpoint.. or both. I mean, your next section is like a breakdown, but you haven't really built something up preceding it.

Regarding that breakdown. The attack on that airy-sounding synth (or w/e it is) playing chords is funky - a tad bit too long, causing a distractingly long silence in between chords. edit: maybe you could lengthen sustain, but not so much that there's note bleeding.

Again, the piano - actually, I think it being so repetitive works just fine, but you might wanna try some counterpoint, maybe with guitar - something that can rise over the piano (which is damn chill sounding). ..Well, those strings work pretty nicely, but I feel they're coming in a little late to do the job.

Guitar solo-thing is so quiet in compared to the rest of the piece. Really quiet.

Overall, this is nice. The track does not plod along and has decent form, but a little variation here and there in the melodies after they've been repeated so many times might not be a bad thing.

I'm definitely waiting for any update :)

ether is pretty much on spot with everything. especially that breakdown at 1:11 with the "airy-sounding synth" as ether states. I was digging it for the first 3 secs but then it has that paused as ether mentions and it kinda killed it for me, maybe you can maintain that airy vibrant longer so there isn't any pause inbetween when it repeats or you could vary it a bit more but still maintain that chill like melody. Oh and it would be cool if you bring in the airy part again around the three quater mark.

looking forward to an update. keep up the good work

edit: oh one last thing i want to add, maybe you could lower the bass just a little so you can bring out the sound of the violins more (or is it cellos?) but that's just my preference, i'm not all that big on bass.

img.php?fid=160

Okay, so; I've made some changes. Thank you both for taking the time to give me feedback and advice. Here's a quick list:

- there is more variation approaching the breakdown

- the airy synth [actually a sample, but that's irrelevant] still stops/starts, but is now more obviously intentional; also, it comes back earlier/for longer

- guitar [actually a electric piano vst] is louder

- strings are louder

I tried to address everything mentioned. If you find anything else/still find problems with one of my fixes, please let me know and I'll get right on it. [: I think you guys will like this version better...

Airy-synth sample thing is pretty cool now, I think.

I guess that is an electric piano lol. Still needs to be louder, I think.

That original section at the end is nice. Definitely enjoying it.

That noise synth (seems like what it is, maybe it's just got FM or something).. pre-breakdown, maybe it's too intense? It's handled pretty well transitioning into the breakdown, though.

Do you plan on submitting this to the judges when you get enough feedback/feel it's ready?

Hooray! [: [i'm glad the changes I made helped.] I'll turn the electric piano up some more.

The noise synth [it's a bitcrushed/distorted 3xosc] is supposed to be buildup so that there's something to break down. When you say it's too intense, do you mean that it's too loud, it's progression is too abrasive, or the effect is too harsh? Or is it none of those, and I've misunderstood?

And yeah, I would love to submit this to the judges. :D Why 'cuz?

good song man, very nice chill beat. The first listen through I just turned it up and kind of walked around my house getting dressed for the day, and the fact that nothing made me stop and think "Wtf!?" is a good sign that it's a solid song you got goin on.

When you say it's too intense, do you mean that it's too loud
Yeah, lowering the volume a little on that would probably help because the high-end of that particular effect starts grinding on my ear drums for sure.

Once it really kicks in at 1:01, it's just too much, and it doesn't really give me a feeling of a build up. Just sounds louder and more intrusive.

overall, I dig it. Keep it up

Ah, man, I hate to be a dick and ruin this unanimous vote you've got going, but I actually really dug the way that airy synth/sample stopped and started in the original, while the beat kept going and didn't stop. I thought it was a really cool effect, and to my ears, it already sounded intentional without the changes you made in the newer version. It's your call, though.

Either way, I think this is a great remix of a track I really love. I really like how you incorporate different parts of the original's textures at different times; it keeps it grounded in the source without just rehashing it, which is rad. The bass line reminds me of "Guilty Conscience" by Eminem and Dr. Dre, haha - I dunno if that's intentional or not, but either way, I think it works really well and sets up a nice groove for the song. I think this is definitely worth submitting, and I'd love to see it on the site.

I think I agree with Adamantium Dude on the airy sound effect... I actually am having a hard time finding something to 'critique' on it, as I've now had it on loop for the past 3 hours and can't make myself stop listening to it.

The ending it a bit weak, sadly (A hat is hit and everything stops... wha?! :puppyeyes:), but otherwise I'd say this is perfect. I like it a lot - just make it end better :-P.

Yeah, lowering the volume a little on that would probably help because the high-end of that particular effect starts grinding on my ear drums for sure.

Yep.

Ah, man, I hate to be a dick and ruin this unanimous vote you've got going, but I actually really dug the way that airy synth/sample stopped and started in the original, while the beat kept going and didn't stop. I thought it was a really cool effect, and to my ears, it already sounded intentional without the changes you made in the newer version. It's your call, though.
I think I agree with Adamantium Dude on the airy sound effect...

This is why multiple critiques on a work are useful :D

Why 'cuz?
Just curious, 'tis all.

Thanks, guys, for helping me figure this shit out!

Nubioso: Right on! One of my main goals is to have a good beat in my tracks.

Adamantium Dude: That [to bring in different aspects back and forth, so you never forget what it is but it's not too blatant or boring] was my intention, and I'm really glad to hear it succeeded.

Gario: Thanks! Wow, three hours?! That's a compliment, there!

SoulinEther: I appreciate your feedback, man. Thanks for the help.

If nobody has any major problems with these changes, I think I'm done. Changes include:

- better ending

- quieter "buildup" synth

- electric piano is louder

- returned "breakdown drums" and airy synth to former state [the vote was half and half]

img.php?fid=169