texture?

What do they mean by texture? Tone? Tone color?

If you'd like some good examples of good sound texturing check out Chicane, I recommend his track "

" good soundscapes and tonal textures.

I haven't heard your track so I'm kinda guessing about the critique...

Give a link to your track? See if we can't help troubleshoot some more?

Naw, you probably just clicked the link and forgot about the 'OR2' at the end : ]

My edit coming later ...

-edit- : Agree with Harmony; you have this guitar-driven rocking song, but it's mainly guitar work. The judges probably thought it could sound nicer with other elements blended in... I dunno, anything really, from other lead instruments to background pads. Maybe think about adding contrast between different sections. Other stuff. Sounds good so far, though >: ]

In this case, I think what Larry meant by fleshing out your sparse textures is that you don't have many other sonic elements other than the distorted guitar so everything sounds really same-ish. While this is definitely a cool track, it could be a lot more interesting with different sounds. Even if you still want to go the entirely guitar driven route, having significantly different FX chains on some of the guitars would mix things up a bit.

There's also the issue of mixing that was brought up. The melodic elements, like the awesome guitar solos, are buried behind the overpowering lower freq rhythm guitars. No excuse for that man -- don't hide your most important melody-carrying elements! Listening for balance in your mix takes practice, but it's essential to producing consistently good tracks. Aside from going back and modifying the EQ and volume on some of the individual tracks, Palpable's maximizer plugin idea might help, but I'd also suggest a multi-band compressor like t-sledge (use one of the mastering presets) which can selectively lower the low frequencies, pump up the mid and high frequencies, and in general try to give you a more balanced sound.

EDIT: Here's the link. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DR1N8OR2

Garret, when you have a problem like that, you can click "Disable smilies in text" to keep it from automatically putting them in.

Throughout most of the mix, it seems "empty", despite whatever you have going on. This is probably due to, as mentioned by others, the lead guitar is buried under the rhythm guitar.

At the same time, the rhythm guitar sounds pretty hollow to me, there isn't a lot of meat or chunk to it.

Also pretty sloppy arpeggios that detract from the piece, tonally.

Throughout most of the mix, it seems "empty", despite whatever you have going on. This is probably due to, as mentioned by others, the lead guitar is buried under the rhythm guitar.

At the same time, the rhythm guitar sounds pretty hollow to me, there isn't a lot of meat or chunk to it.

Also pretty sloppy arpeggios that detract from the piece, tonally.

to be honest i submitted the remix 4 months ago. during that time ive gotten a bit better at mixing drums and making new guitar tones from the Gearbox.

as for the sloppy arpeggios, i dont remember leaving those takes in. i did takes for like an hour and i had a better take on that part but i guess i left the wrong one in. so that's just my own damn fault.

another problem i've had is mixing bass. i tweaked it around a bit but couldnt get the sound that i wanted so i just went with what i could get with the Gearbox. probably a mistake. Im still jerking it around trying to find a good bass tone.

also i neglected to mention to the judges that when i got my hands on Superior Drummer 2.0, i didnt know how to use it with FL. So I used it's solo program and sampled each drum piece and gave them individual channels in FL. This I later learned is a very bad idea considering there's no real velocity changes when doing drum rolls and such. But I got so excited cause even though i sampled them individually, it was still 10 times better than the drum kit i had before. so i thought i hit the jack pot. Later on I lerned the concept of PLUG-INS! I hit myself over the head at that point.

and lastly, I wanted to avoid using so many effects and the like cause on all the rock tracks that i've heard (i havnt heard all of them mind you) you'd hear rock instruments backed by a flute or some kind of synth. It seemed really trendy to me albeit the tracks that i heard were really awesome. But everyone seems to feel the need to back the rock instruments (guitar, bass, drums) with electronics. I wanted to stray away from that. I wanted metal as the core and nothing else. Like old 80's thrash metal. but i guess that sort of thing isnt liked much. or i just sucked at it this time around. :(