Fire Emblem: Wind Across the Plains

Seriously, criticise this to hell because I need to know what's good and what's bad about the vocals and production in general (It's a bit too short to criticise on composition or anything ^__^).

Anyway hope you enjoy it. For those of you that don't remember- it's the player's turn BGM on the first few chapters with Lynn.

SOURCE:

Lyrics (yes they suck)

The wind blows over the plains,

Through her hair,

Green as forests.

The breeze is never ending,

When she's there.

There's no one else for me.

It is coming along;

Notes-

Your voice is a little over bearing, bring your voice -3dB (maybe, if it sound too faraway, cancel) and boost the 3KHz on your voice about +3dB (3KHz is the Vox magic frequency, I've seen a lot of mastering engineers use it on the voice to help bring it out in the mix). Also for the voice maybe use a harmonizer plug-in. A lot of people have mixed feelings about using one on ones voice but I'm thinking to deliberately give you a "

"-like sound, you have a really good sounding voice for it- like Jan Johnson did/does for Trance.

I also felt that the accompaniment was a little cheezy. Like listening to MIDI karaoke, ya' know?

Keep going. Bring a more structured arrangement, love to help make this a finished product.

Your voice is a little over bearing, bring your voice -3dB (maybe, if it sound too faraway, cancel) and boost the 3KHz on your voice about +3dB (3KHz is the Vox magic frequency, I've seen a lot of mastering engineers use it on the voice to help bring it out in the mix).

Worked amazingly well, sounds a lot better. Thanks.

Also for the voice maybe use a harmonizer plug-in.

The main problem I found with this is the doubling up of the 'noise' on each layer of harmony. In a four part harmony it's seriously loud... Any solutions?

I also felt that the accompaniment was a little cheezy. Like listening to MIDI karaoke, ya' know?

Yeah, I do very much know. It's very rough at the moment, but hey, you get the idea! That should be ironed out in the next update.

Thanks very much for that, the vocals sound much better already.

The main problem I found with this is the doubling up of the 'noise' on each layer of harmony. In a four part harmony it's seriously loud... Any solutions?

Noise... like the hiss from the mic when you start recording? If you want you can take a NR plug to your vocal stems (this WILL mess with your high end harmonics (5KHz-10KHz+). Tell me what software you're using and see if I can't figure out a better solution for you if you don't mind electronically "treating" your voice. There are lots of ways to get rid of noise, all the "pro's" really do is turn the noise out of phase.

I was also talking about a harmonizer plug-in, like the Eventide H910 or something like that on your voice. Your timbre is just right.

Look forward to the update.

Noise... like the hiss from the mic when you start recording? If you want you can take a NR plug to your vocal stems (this WILL mess with your high end harmonics (5KHz-10KHz+). Tell me what software you're using and see if I can't figure out a better solution for you if you don't mind electronically "treating" your voice. There are lots of ways to get rid of noise, all the "pro's" really do is turn the noise out of phase.

Yeah, the mic hiss. I've really tried to cut it back as much as possible. I'm using FL8 if that helps. Regarding the harmonies, I've played around with them some more. I've probably generated some new problems though...

And no, I've got nothing against the whole "electronic treatment" of vocals. I know people do though which just strikes me as odd. They change the EQ on the voice so it's already 'edited'. And timbre is just right? Thanks? I dunno, I'm terrible with vocals at the moment, that's why I'm grateful for the advice you're giving me now!

Just a quick update- nothing major.

Yeah, the mic hiss. I've really tried to cut it back as much as possible. I'm using FL8 if that helps. Regarding the harmonies, I've played around with them some more. I've probably generated some new problems though...

And no, I've got nothing against the whole "electronic treatment" of vocals. I know people do though which just strikes me as odd. They change the EQ on the voice so it's already 'edited'. And timbre is just right? Thanks? I dunno, I'm terrible with vocals at the moment, that's why I'm grateful for the advice you're giving me now!

Ya know, some simple effects might make the vocals fuller without needed to add the whole "electronic treatment". Try adding some reverb and some delay to them and raise the 3k (2k and 1k if you equalizer doesn't have just a 3k) in the EQ to bring them out more from the rest of the track. Cause right now, the vocals sound very dry. The only other thing i would consider is to add a little bass in the EQ for the drums.

Otherwise, its sounding very promising so far!:-P

Yeah, the mic hiss. I've really tried to cut it back as much as possible. I'm using FL8 if that helps. ... And no, I've got nothing against the whole "electronic treatment" of vocals. I know people do though which just strikes me as odd.

Every detail helps! :-P Okay first off if you want I can take a swing at your vocal stems. Some NR, Gating, compression, EQ'ing, Delay, and then reverb, might be just what you need. But if you want to learn and try on your own try digital/analog: For digital NR I use the Waves Z-Noise (worth buying if your into restoration and what not), for Analog NR I take white noise from the console out of phase and EQ it into the right harmonics to help (and thats IF we have hiss, normally we get all inputs at an SNR of -80dB so we don't care). The first question is how are you getting your voice into the computer? What's your proceedure? And don't worry, I've worked with artists who've sung at their laptops internal mic and we still got a Moby like sound out of them.

Regarding the harmonies, I've played around with them some more. I've probably generated some new problems though...

New probs? like what?

And don't push the harmonies idea to hard at the expense of the song, and remember I meant a harmonizer VST/RTAS plug-in with MIDI. :-P

And timbre is just right? Thanks? I dunno, I'm terrible with vocals at the moment, that's why I'm grateful for the advice you're giving me now!

Timbre, like ... you know how No One can be the voice of Vadar except James Earl Jones... thats because he's got the only "timbre" (Tam - ber) that we'd recognize, that deep, bubbling roar, ya'know?

You have a timbre that sounds (already) like a harmonizer plugin that's why I wanted you to use one, because I wanted to hear what would've sounded like. I once used one to make my MAC sing in a performance... people thought it was a vocalist. It's getting harder and harder to tell now-a-days because of what we can do to the voice.

We'll work on the signal flow and NR first and then we'll talk performance improvement, the first EQ is at the mic.

EDIT- Updated Link

When She's There...

(I'll post the lyrics up later, it doesn't really matter what they are)

Yeah, boosted up the 3kHz of the lead vocals added a lil' reverb and padded out the drums. The rest of the track (backings) has a lot to improve on but I'm more worried about the vocals as I'm least experienced in them. Expanded the rest a bit- it's more experimental than anything. This mix seems to be more of a learning thing. Added the source at the bottom if no one knows it.

Every detail helps! Okay first off if you want I can take a swing at your vocal stems. Some NR, Gating, compression, EQ'ing, Delay, and then reverb, might be just what you need. But if you want to learn and try on your own try digital/analog: For digital NR I use the Waves Z-Noise (worth buying if your into restoration and what not), for Analog NR I take white noise from the console out of phase and EQ it into the right harmonics to help (and thats IF we have hiss, normally we get all inputs at an SNR of -80dB so we don't care). The first question is how are you getting your voice into the computer? What's your proceedure? And don't worry, I've worked with artists who've sung at their laptops internal mic and we still got a Moby like sound out of them.

Yeah, I've managed to take care of most of it (filters, levels 'n' stuff) however it seems to be faintly there still and it's annoying. Oh mind you, didn't really try any delay, that could work.

As for how I record... Basically it's a really old tacky mic I got ages (four years?) back in some "home studio" set when I wasn't even into sequencing or recording. I found it again like a month or so ago and thought "oh yeah, vocals, I should try them in my mix".(I've also made myself a lil' stand and pop shield thanks to Nubioso's advice on the forums here which made the vocals much nicer.) I've not really ever sung before so I have no idea how to sing properly or what people look for in good vocal work. Basically I've never used my voice as an instrument before and it's kinda daunting when you see how complex it all is... I try and hit the note I'm aiming for, like I do with all MIDI instruments. The advice you're giving me now is stupidly helpful seeing as I'm going for a music course at uni next year.

Timbre, like ... you know how No One can be the voice of Vadar except James Earl Jones... thats because he's got the only "timbre" (Tam - ber) that we'd recognize, that deep, bubbling roar, ya'know?

You have a timbre that sounds (already) like a harmonizer plugin that's why I wanted you to use one, because I wanted to hear what would've sounded like. I once used one to make my MAC sing in a performance... people thought it was a vocalist. It's getting harder and harder to tell now-a-days because of what we can do to the voice.

Yeah, I know what timbre is (get it rammed down my throat in music classes :-)) however I wondered what you meant by the fact it sounded like a harmonizer. I've tried to find one like you've described. All I'm getting is pitch shifting tools, heck, a MIDI harmonizer sounds awesome, I'd love to play about with one of those... Anyway, I did my best to create harmonies using a combination of just singing them and pitch shifting options.

Sorry I fell of the grid... getting ready for Comic Con... its gonna happen.

The harmonizer: I was just thinking like a Digi-Tech Harmonizer (~$599), it is what a lot of artist are using now-a-days to do unique vocal effects. It's pricey I know, but it is Pro-end gear. You don't have to buy it, you can rent it (like probably $20 a day) and do your recording then have the sound you want with the gear you want.

The Track: Your track is now in the "minor touches" phase, because you basically got all the arrangement down all the elements are coming together and the overall sound of the track is designed.

EQ the flutes @ around 2KHz a bit (notch EQ with a very narrow Q) to reduce resonance.

Cool what you did with the voice, a little loud in the mix... just a little, but good job on the effect, I like it.

After the break down (1:45 - 2:02) While I'm understanding with the ambient music here, others might not take a liking to it. It might come across as a "loss of energy" in the piece.

IMO; cut those 17-ish seconds out and move them to the end after your vocal up-bend for a fade out ending (even though I like the artistic touch of the bend as the ending). Then fill those empty seconds with the music (guitars and such) that come in at 2:03; extend it, add to it, whatever works. IMO.

Snares, I wanted a larger snare sound... like a marching-band-rolling-snare-sound. They just sounded thin to me.

I do love the over all musicality of the track. I only had a chance to listen on HP so when I get a chance to hear it on monitors I'll PM you with some mixing pointers (if need be).