OCR01853 - Faxanadu "Ce pays me rend mauvais"

There's lot of weird and distracting production on this one, and it leaves me a little torn. The guitar sounds pretty good as an intro, but flat soundwise. It's one of those sounds that is great to use as an intro before the actual sound comes in to me.

Once you add the beats and the first iteration or two of the chiptune melody, and i'm digging it decently enough, but it develops so slooowly that I quickly lose interest, even though there is a lot going on to attract me. ADHD maybe? If it developed faster it'd be a lot more interesting I think, or even had the B section appear sooner. The section with the panning glitches was my favorite, that was classy.

Overall there's a lot to like about this, but it's too poorly produced for me personally to truly love it. Sorry dude. :-(

My oh my!

I'm a diehard Faxanadu fan and love everything glitchy when it's well done, and I'm really glad that this got posted. The guitar parts sound so lovely and mix with the very skillful (sometimes tortured) noise/chiptune/wind/percussion elements really well.

Way to use the original melody, yet make it sound so very new due to interesting direction and clever accompaniment. Definitely one of my new favs on the website, congrats! Love your sound, I'll be waiting for more!

P.S.: nice to have one more French remixer on the site :)

Edit: You've used Nanoloop for some of this haven't you? Just noticed that, specially in the section starting at 3:30. :)

All up I like this a lot.

I honestly don't see the problem with using the chip lead from the game (whether this really does do that or it just sounds like it). In music generally, covers sample the original all the time; it's what they DO with the old material that matters.

The beat sounds a bit Craig David by itself. It doesn't work as a feature, but it's never really featured anyway. It makes a decent platter to serve the rest on, and isn't missed when it cuts out.

There are a couple of moments when some chromatic lead-ins don't mesh quite right in progress, but it's only ever a momentary issue.

If not for the gated accordion break I wouldn't have said Jeunet & Caro. That moment actually had me wishing until the end that a future Professor Layton game tries something in this direction.

Erm, Wall of Text approaching. Sorry. :oops:

Like mv, I am a diehard Faxanadu fan and I'm sad that there are only two remixes from this game to date. The soundtrack is amazing and I feel that many remixers would like it if only they had the exposure to it. If I had any kind of remixing ability, I would definitely rectify that oversight, but for now I'll take what I can get.

On my first listen the intro guitar sounded a bit wonky timing-wise, but after subsequent listenings it makes more sense and doesn't sound out of place. I guess knowing what to expect helps a great deal in that regard.

I liked where the section at 2:18 was going...until I realized that it actually wasn't going anywhere. Given the fairly straightforward repetition of the main melody up until that point, hearing the variation made me expect more to come, but instead all I got was the same four measures thrown back at me...twice.

I really liked the section at 3:12 for two reasons: a) you finally got to the B melody! Hooray!; and B) it's very reminiscent of Metroid-style music and remixes, of which I am also a fan. It's a small departure from the previously Frenchy, Amelie-type sound but I still enjoyed it.

The R2D2-esque whistles at 3:39 get a mention from me as well just because I think that's awesome.

The rhythm chords at 4:01 remind me of...something. I can't think of what, unfortunately.

Overall, I thought it was good except for the part at 2:18, as stated. I agree with SmartLX that using the NES chiptune lead (or an excellent approximation of it) is not instrinsically bad. I rather enjoyed it.

However, I also have to agree that more variation of the main melody would be a very welcome addition. And this is coming from someone who could seriously listen to the Faxanadu chiptunes all day long. The way the song is structured makes me think that this piece could have been titled "Variations on Faxanadu Final Area Theme," except that the variations are everywhere but the main melody. Don't get me wrong, it's still good, but it could have been better.

In conclusion, we need more Faxanadu remixes. Posthaste.

P.S. I hope that wasn't too bad for a first-time post. :<

cet oeuvre me rend calme, relax, ....bon.

I'll agree with zyko - there's a good vibe about this one. It really does put a smile on my face. I'm usually interested in melodic variation but... this is just fascinating to me. I'm not annoyed at all by the fact that I'm hearing the same melody over and over; it's sort of like a fun ostinato to me.

And I mean, the melody does get a little varied at the end. Very briefly. And once. Still neat.

kruai on Twitter had IMO the best English translation of the title, i.e. "This country sickens me". So for anyone wanting to know what this meant, there you go!

Despite my NO, which was more on a policy level, I thought this was a solid piece of music. Haven't heard anything from Nurykabe in a while, but I do hope he sends something new our way.

This also is in my favorites collection. An OCR classic, I'd say. I'm not familiar with the source material, but I like the use of the chiptune. And the composition is layered with nuancet though it makes me think more of The City of Lost Children than Amelie.

The tone is just - not bizarre, nor arcane, but eccentric. The tone takes me back to childhood playing NES games I never quite understood but was fascinated with nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

This piece was weird, very weird the first time I heard it. I listened to it again because it actually drove me to curiosity, and then to sheer madness as to how I was actually enjoying listening to it. Not enjoying as in "It's really good" but more "Listening to this is improving my mood" and that rarely happens. There's a handful of songs on OCR that do that to me, but ...this one caught me by surprise. Having only the faintest experience with the source, I can't comment on how close it is to the original composition, but I will tell you that this will ABSOLUTELY be included in my future OCR playlists.

I don't know what else to say about this song. I'm confused.

• 1 month later...
kruai on Twitter had IMO the best English translation of the title, i.e. "This country sickens me". So for anyone wanting to know what this meant, there you go!

Despite my NO, which was more on a policy level, I thought this was a solid piece of music. Haven't heard anything from Nurykabe in a while, but I do hope he sends something new our way.

Hey, I'm here too :)

I like this piece a lot. Another one straight onto my iPod!

• 11 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01853 - Faxanadu "Ce pays me rend mauvais"
  • 1 year later...

Lovely! The electronic parts of this track sound quite simple at times, but sometimes simplicity is the key - and this is definitely the case here. Add super warm, intimate-sounding guitar, and you've got yourself a pretty fun piece of music. The glitched chips are actually pretty cool, and the lead at 2:17 isn't something I've expected, but something I've enjoyed for sure. It's a shame OCR didn't recieve any other stuff from this guy, but oh well :)

• 8 months later...