Wii Motion Plus

XZero

So Wii Motion Plus officially hit stores today, and I made sure to go to GameStop after work and pick up my Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis. I wanted to share my thoughts with the OCR community.

Wii Motion Plus itself

Really nothing more or less than you'd expect. It barely adds any weight to the controller, and the larger condom that it comes with fits nicely. I have one rather annoying complaint on this one, though. For those who purchased the Nyko Wireless Nunchuck, Nintendo does not like you. There are two little plastic feet on the thing that physically prevent the controller plug for the Nyko nunchuck from going into the controller. This sucks for tennis in particular, but I'll get to that in a moment. Bottom line, the thing is light and feels natural. But does it work?

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

Yes, it does work. Well, mostly. It likes to add fade and draw, which I know is really me doing it, but when I want to hit a straight shot, I want to hit a straight shot, not something going into the grass on the side. Putting is another problem unless you use "Precision Putting." Honestly, though, those are minor complaints. The feeling of really hitting that ball is so satisfying. The presentation is excellent, the graphics are good (not great, but I'm content), and the audio is top-notch. I'd rate this one 9/10 easily.

Grand Slam Tennis

Interestingly, this game is really disappointing. I am a huge tennis player in real life; I coach, I've been playing since I was 7 (I'm 23 now), and I've basically done a lot of tennis stuff in my life. The notion of one-to-one tennis controls in a game is really amazing for me, and this game is just plain disappointing. It doesn't work correctly. I swing, he doesn't. I turn my shoulders, he doesn't. I step into the shot, he doesn't. It's like he doesn't want to do what he's supposed to. I'd say it worked correctly about 60-70 percent of the time. And that's the problem. For whatever reason, it doesn't want to work as advertised. I know they could have done it correctly. During an interview, one of the guys on the development team indicated that it isn't 1:1 because that would make the game too hard. You know what makes the game hard? Having your player stand there as a ball wooshes by him. That's what makes a game hard. In other words, when it doesn't work.

Here's another problem with this one: the nunchuck. In Wii Sports Tennis, the players basically moved where they are supposed to. In this one, they decided that that was not really a good idea. To that end, the only way to get the player to the ball is to use the nunchuck. But when I swing a tennis racquet, I take a full backswing and follow through. That's very difficult to do with the damn nunchuck cord getting in the way. So what do I do? Attach a wireless nunchuck? NO! Because Nintendo doesn't want me to do so. As an aside, though these things aren't particularly important to me for a tennis game, the audio is solid and the cartoonish graphics are ugly. I have no complaints about good cartoonish graphics (Zelda, for instance), but these are nauseatingly bad.

My opinion of this game might be different if I was not almost a lifelong tennis player, but I am, and I am disappointed by this one. I'd give it a 6/10.

BOTTOM LINE: Get Tiger Woods 10 w/Wii Motion Plus. It's $60 well spent. Do not waste your money on Grand Slam Tennis.

BOTTOM LINE: Get Tiger Woods 10 w/Wii Motion Plus. It's $60 well spent. Do not waste your money on Grand Slam Tennis.

I was half tempted to get the golf game, but I've never really been a big fan. But as to the tennis one...well, suffice to say, I doubt anyone has yet to best Wii Sport's version :<

Still, I'm eagerly awaiting Wii Sports Resort (just preordered it). Who else here is excited about sword fighting? :D:D

I've always had trouble getting into sports games (wii sports excluded), but it's good to hear that the wii motion plus works so well. I'm definitely looking forward to Wii Sports Resort. I just hope they do as good a job on it as it sounds like the team behind Tiger Woods did.

It's worth noting that the only truly complete 1:1 motion (at least with what I've encountered so far) in Tiger Woods is with the putting motions during regular golf and in the disc golf mini-game where you have completely and total control of the disc.

This game is nearly worth having for the disc golf game alone, as it's amazingly addictive. It also really shows off what the Wii Motion Plus can do. Just holding onto the disc and twisting your wrist and then watching the hand on the screen following your every move is really neat. This thing breathed new life into my Wii overnight, as I probably played for a good 5 hours and now that I'm at work today, I'm really itching to get home and play some more.

This is truly what I've been wanting the Wii to be like all along. I was skeptical when they first announced the WM+, but now I'm a firm believer in its ability to make gaming more fun.