VST, DirectX instruments and effects thread

DM Lee

* "Classic" effects series (http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php) - A set of excellent, CPU-efficient effects. All of them sound exceptional, better than most free effects I've seen. There aren't many presets for each, but what's there is good. If you're looking for a simple, core set of effects, look no further.

This man speaks the turht, as youve all probably already seen, ive recomended this series already.

The compressor is one of the best compressor utilities ive used and it is very user friendly yet powerful. If you want a compressor for single instruments, this is it, and i even use it for that final export when i need to just level things out a little more...

A multi band compressor would probably work better for finished mixes but i think this is just fine for my tastes and my personal sound.

Also, i find the classic reverb to sound very very clean and full, and very very very effective on realistic type instruments (if you want that piano in a grand hall feel, or a violinist playing in a small auditorium, or maybe a string orchestra playing at a venue in a big open space, etc). The presets are really good too and just like the other classic vst's its so user friendly and easy to use without being cheap and crappy.

I recomend the set to anyone who uses free effects.

Oh, and i mentioned it before in a post, but there is a light on the compressor that tells you when you actually compress the audio and not just lower the threshold level, say you want to just "barely" compress your sounc, you can guesstimate it with fruity compressor and think youve done something or wait til you hear a sound difference (which would probably be more than just "barely" compressing) but with classic you can keep lowering the threshold or attack or lengthen the decay until you see the light just flicker every so often. Trust me, its a lot more useful to actually have something tell you your compressing than you realise.

I want to take this chance to put out two new demos (and show my mad skillz, jk) for 3xosc. Im no sir nuts but these are some pretty ok sounds.

This first one is just 3xosc sounds and its only three of them (my computer im using sucks and im getting my mixing computer back soon, i cant fit too much in one song or i cant listen to it).

ftp://66.221.70.133/u.b.b./synth_demos/3xosc_sample.mp3

I made the lead thinking about the thread about "generic trance leads" and figured id make one myself (for the first time i think i actually did a good job) and the bass i wanted to sorta sound like some of kylie minogues stuff, but not quite... either youll get what i mean or you wont. just sorta eighties sounding bass i guess. The arrpeggios i dont know, i just needed to demo another sound for 3xosc. The beat was so complicated and i usually suck at beats so it was hard to pull one off in this, especially when it had weird timing, the first beat was like not really on the first beat... i dont know how to explain. BUt yeah i do the same thing i did in a couple demos, i changed the style of the song in the end to show a different way of playing the same sounds.

this next one i only made the bass and the arrpegs

ftp://66.221.70.133/u.b.b./synth_demos/3xosc-sample2-beat-practice.mp3

(and its waaaaaaaaaay longer than it needs to be because i like it and want to hear it loop, lol). The arrpeggios were made with the fruity arrpegiator (a great addition to the already powerful 3xosc, not saying its new, but its a great part of 3xosc that is often overlooked). The bass is very deep so you need headphones or you need a sub to listen. The string is just a violin soundfont. The bass is like perfect for hiphop and stuff like that, very deep. This one isnt that great of a demo for the 3xosc, but i like doing this and if it makes poeple get into making their own synths more or using the synths i demo then its all worth while. plus i need the practice badly so i can get better at making my own synths, like i said, im no sir nuts (or GLL or beatdrop, or zircon, or xelebes or etc... wow i suck more than everyone... that sucks)

Never heard of Psycle but I am assuming it is a freeware sequencer. It works fine with FruityLoops, that I am sure of. Trying to think of a solution for ya but I'll have to get back to you.

Edit - I'm also trying to download the Aftershock plugin here but I am having some difficulties getting past the license dealie here as it seems to lead to a dead link. Can someone provide me the link to it or is the file actually not on the server?

http://www.dominotesongs.com/vstifw/

Wow, is it ever really buggy.

I have to edit the synth first before being able to hear it and when I ear it, I cannot edit any further because the synthwindow doesn't show up. I'm going to wait until this plugin gets fixed and a lot more stable than it is right now.

i'd try it, but i can't get past the guy's bible-thumping.

it's GPL tho.. maybe i should fork a version that encourages satanic exploitation. (:

(don't worry, i'm probably joking)

cheers.

Really? I'd thought it was under a custom license. AFAIK a "no satan" license isn't compatible w/ GPL. I'd dodged this one on the grounds that it was buggy as hell, and later learned about the bible-thumpage.

Somsone later released some other VST (which I recall being impressed with) that was off-limits to religious use, in reaction to this one. I wish I could remember the name of it.

it's GPL. his plea that people don't use his software for music that goes against his religious beleifs is just that -- a plea.

he can't mandate it without changing the license.

if i used his software i'd want to respect his plea but honestly i have no idea what this guy would consider acceptable or not.

can i not make a doom remix since doom has demons? can i not make any house music because of the early popularity of house in gay clubs?

it's just something i don't want to have to think about when i'm making music.

cheers.

it's GPL. his plea that people don't use his software for music that goes against his religious beleifs is just that -- a plea.

he can't mandate it without changing the license.

if i used his software i'd want to respect his plea but honestly i have no idea what this guy would consider acceptable or not.

can i not make a doom remix since doom has demons? can i not make any house music because of the early popularity of house in gay clubs?

it's just something i don't want to have to think about when i'm making music.

cheers.

Well, he says to please not use it for anything that is "against God and Jesus Christ". If you read that as boolean logic, you're in the clear as long as your song only insults God, or Jesus Christ, individually, but not both at the same time.

For example, if I used it to make a song with the lyric, "God has sex with goats, and that's why he rulz", or a song that said "Jesus Christ can suck my wang", I'd be ok. But if I had both lyrics in the same music, or mixed them together like, "God and Jesus Christ do fingercuffs with goats", that would be a violation of the license.

Hope that clears things up for you guys.

Of course, if music that appeals to gays is a problem, you better keep that VST far away from anything Broadway, teehee.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but

is there any decent free voice synthesizing plugin or program? Kind of like the thing in Fruity Loops, but better? I'm especially interested in a British sounding voice, like the one in the demo version of the Microtonic drum VST. ("You should consider purchasing your copy of the Microtonic!" =D)

Are you sure it isn't a voice recording run through a vocoder? In that case, get out your mic, put on your best British accent, and use some kind of vocoder to make it sound synthy.

But if it actually is a totally synthesized voice, with a British accent (usually those just come out with a simply "computer" accent, if you will.......)........ I have no idea, man

you can play with Rhetorical's rVoice system.

it's a TTS demo that has british male and female voices. though they change the voices around every few days as it is a demo.

the 'valley girl' voice is a hoot. :)

cheers.

Great site. Requesting certain profane words and one gets this "This rVoice demo is made available for non-commercial demonstration purposes only. Inappropriate text will not be synthesized." :o

K, I'm looking for two types of VST's maybe you can help me... small full software apps good too... (I've given KVR a brief look)

1-A pitch control slider capable of several octaves in either direction.

2-(and I'm not sure if this is even possible...)a slider control with a 44100 sample rate at one end and a 6000 or so one at the other... that would likely be a simulation, but from high quality to low quality... you know what I mean right?